Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    OK. So I ordered supercharger. Ordered gasket top end bottom end rebuild. What head gasket would I use for around 8 lb boost? Keep in mind also going 3.0 liter frankentien here. Head studs?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Stock CR is fine for 8 psi. OE HG will be good. Head bolts would be fine too, but you can find second hand setsof head studs for $80; thats what I did...

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    thanks raj.

- - - Updated - - -

fyi... i picked up top and bottom end gasket set for under $300... and grant chromoly set of m54 rings for $170.. when i started it was easliy double that.. so.. dont be afriaid to refresh your engine beforre it gets too late and they skyrocket!

My Cars
    1995 325i BMW Sedan
    any updates?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Well. I think my BMW ADHD has slowed the cross charger progress... I was in mid project of making actual kits. Sourcing the chargers and in middle of making a pattern to make the brackets out of one or two pieces of high strength aluminum. But I guess mister m52 got revoked for a month for telling another member what a rascist a hole he was. Idk. I just work here.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Have to finish cooling system refresh/upgrade and intake refresh first.

Wonder how clogged my 176k miles 17lb injectors are?

My Cars
    One Too Many
    HMW M52 IV Prototype

20 PSI M5XSC14 Setup

Caution: Driving the Ogura TX15 / Toyota SC14 supercharger from 12,000RPM to over nearly 17,000 RPM for extended periods of time will decrease its efficiency levels as well as increase Supercharger Wear

ADDITION OF A DIRECT PORT WATER INJECTION THROUGH THE SUPERCHARGER INTAKE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

* Information provided is from the HMW M52 Prototype, Not Recommended for Stock Motors, Use at own risk.

Requirements

65MM Supercharger Pulley
    Stock Crank Pulley
    New Belt Tensioner
    New Belt 6PK2105
    Water Injection

Calculations

Pulley Size Ratio à6" (crank pulley) / 2.55" (SC14 pulley) = 2.35

Max SC14 RPM
    à1.75 (Pulley Size Ratio) x 7000 (Max Engine RPM) = 16,450 RPM

Air output with 6" Crank Pulley
    à 1.42(SC14 Displacement) x 10500(Max SC14 RPM) = 2359cc

Boost Ratio
    à (max sc rpm =) 23359 / 9800 = 2.38

Max PSI Boost
    à 2.38 x 14.7 = 34.986 PSI or 35 PSI – 14.7 = 20 psi at 7000RPM@ 100% Efficiency,

or 15 psi at 75% Efficiency

or 11 psi at 55% Efficiency

* Resulting in theory an 100% - 140% Increase over stock motor power output.

Revised V3
    2016-03-20-785.jpg
    Last edited by MisterM52; 04-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    528i
    Would be nice to see the PSI which get in, and at which IAT
    When Stage go on Street? Chance to a pull 62-125mph on a video?

My Cars
    One Too Many
    I did some pull's last year in the begining with just around under 5 psi, videos and old pics on my blog..

then went with 8-10psi pulley with boost loss... now playing with 20psi pulley but will settle somewhere just under 1 bar/14.5psi.

IAT's can get hot, so i use water injection.

there is a guy in aus building it for his 528i, you can have the designs to build one if you like.. my email is in the blog..
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

My Cars
    One Too Many
    This is the new V2 belt orientation I am trying to incorporate instead of the original old V1 variation. the new one will allow more tension to be put on as well as allow more belt grip and wrap around the sc and alternator pulleys, specially needed when using smaller pulleys to eliminate any belt slip, this should also increase the boost due to the factors above.

My Cars
    528i
    Hope your boost loss, go away with the new belt orientation! Would be great, send you later a email
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    I did some pull's last year in the begining with just around under 5 psi, videos and old pics on my blog..

then went with 8-10psi pulley with boost loss... now playing with 20psi pulley but will settle somewhere just under 1 bar/14.5psi.

IAT's can get hot, so i use water injection.

there is a guy in aus building it for his 528i, you can have the designs to build one if you like.. my email is in the blog..

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Much due pictures. Presenting the final version.
    The V2 Addon.

2016-04-20-876.jpg2016-04-21-895.jpg2016-04-21-897.jpg2016-04-21-896.jpg

Precisely aligned with about 1mm margin or error. Its a simple add on to my design, It took me a few days to get it just right and has been through 4 different versions for the plate itself. It incorporates a removable plate to mount a secondary idler pulley for greater belt wrap, greater power transmission, and elimination of slippage at higher RPM's with smaller supercharger drive pulleys. It has 2 available idler pulley mounting points for using with the stock large and small supercharger pulley's. As usual plans and templates to build this will be sent out to all past customers for free of charge within the next couple of weeks, as well as being added to the installation guide for future reference.

Thank you for your time and interest.
    Last edited by MisterM52; 04-21-2016 at 01:38 AM.

My Cars
    1998 e36 328i Vert
    How do you reckon this would go with the stock M52 intake manifold, I see you are using the M50 intake. I'm thinking the SC14 would pair nicely with the stock intake for plenty of low to mid range grunt. Am I wrong ?
    My vert is a daily driver but I reckon this would make it a bucket load more fun. I'm seriously considering this as funds allow which unfortunately may take a while.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Well, It would go just fine and make the job more simpler, however you would still need to delete the PCV System, You can find the installation guide on my blog for free - https://m52supercharged.wordpress.co...llation-guide/

Personally I know how around nz/aus a good lot of bmw people have a negative look towards the M50 Manifold, Others not so, I have a 3.64 LSD and honestly never felt much if any loss in low end power, So I would say you use the M50 manifold specially if using the Blower. Allows more air, and by 2000RPM your blower has already made a lot of boost so you always have a load of low end torque. Besides, it gives you an excuse to learn and fix up any lose gaskets, hoses, clean things up a bit. But that's just my personal view.

Currently there are two australians that I know of who were commencing an install. You may find some of them in the other forums,

If you notice on the right you will find some brackets, basically thats what you are looking to build, took a lot of trial and error to get it all just precision and right, which I have transferred on to the template whiteprints for anybody to reproduce. More pictures of these setups and installations can be found on my blog.

Last edited by MisterM52; 04-21-2016 at 02:35 AM.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Update.

A Newer Simple One Piece Plate Bracket is in the works.

Requires no welding, Its installed by simply undoing the existing bolts and putting this in between and put the bolts back on. On the Supercharger side, it uses 2 of its front (top and bottom) mounts using two long stud bolts.

This design's utilizes the Power Steering, Alternator & Tensioner Mounting Points, as well as having the optional Oil Filter Housing, Motor Mounts & Vanos Area mounting points which are not required but can be used. And this was made with the M50/S50/M54 Motors in mind while its also fully capable of being used on M52's as shown below. Being lesser in terms of complexity and overall the most economical bracket option to mount the Toyota SC14 (Ogura Clutch TX15) Supercharger onto all 6 Cylender 90's BMW's. In addition it also incorporates 2 Idler Pulley Mounting Locations for extra belt tension and wrap all around, specially with smaller pulleys that are rated between 10 - 20PSI. Downside of being so simple and economical is it may lose much in terms of strength compared to the original design which utilizes rear mounting points as well. Good news is it should be enough, specially when made out of thick steel plates, no less then 5mm.

Here's an early prototype.

2016-04-23-910.jpg

This design is so simple that anybody could have it cut and bolted on. Drastically reducing cost of production. However I am still unsure if beyond old customers if these will be available for the general public as white prints or sold as whole brackets.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Final V2 Prototype Brackets were produced today. V2 offers a simplified, streamlined, precision all on a single plated design.

2016-04-27-914.jpg

Support Added for

M50NV (M50B20,M50B25)
    S50 US (S50B30US?)
    S52 US (S52B32US)
    S50 Euro (S50B30 & S50B32)
    S54

Previously Supported
    M52 (M52B28, M52B25, M52B24, M52B20)
    M52TU
    M54* (M54B30, M54B28, M54B30)
    M50TU* (M50B20TU, M50B25TU)

So now it supports all the engine configurations above.

Recommended requirement is that the main bracket be be cut from 10mm Thick Plate for maximum strength and rigidness.

Has 2 variations of the top support bracket, the second variation, variation B was made for the euro Spec M3 (Euro S50/S54) motors in mind and can be extended to fit the engine lifter bracket hook eye. But it can also be used for all other M50/M50NV/M52/M54 motors.

Left up to the choice of the user should the user wish to use the engine lift hole instead of the bolt present in the block (both vanos and non vanos cars).
    Last edited by MisterM52; 04-27-2016 at 07:54 AM.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    This looks brilliant. But I have questions:

1) My Dec-93-build-date M50b25tu has the extra upper tension-idler near where your V2 design's S/C Top Idler pulley is shown. So, I would really like to see photos of this installed on an M50.

2) What make/model/part pulley is employed for the new S/C Bottom Idler pulley?

3) Does the addition of the new S/C Bottom Idler pulley require a longer belt?
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Hello and thank you for bringing the questions.

A 1) Yes you are talking about the idler pulley that is usually on the alternator itself. I have addressed that in both the V1 and V2 the designs. Most of our M52's and M50's here also have that pulley (but I have noticed some US cars dont?) The V2 design has been kept variable with pinpointed locations for the user to add more pulleys as they deem fit.

A 2) We prefer to use BMW Idler Pulley, Part number 11281748131, can be had from any wreckers, parts BMW, This is the type with mounting bolt hole straight through the middle, not off set. Google the part number for images. I will post some more images tomorrow.

A 3) Yes, the V2 Design and the 1.3 Update to the V1 Design both that incorporate the bottom idler pulley will require a slightly longer belt. I have addressed belt sizes in my Installation Guide however we are undergoing some testing as is, and will try different pulley setups and belts and update the guide with newer belt sizes as well.

I hope that has helped.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Thank you. ECS Tuning has no less than 6 options for that idler pulley, ranging from BMW $45 to Vaico $11.

Looking forward to having an updated Installation Guide too.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    The Simple V2 Technical Whiteprint Templates produced and ready to be shipped to everyone, including JEC928

2016-04-29-918.jpg

The Pulley Mount for the V1 Templates addon plate, the circular standoff is also incorporated in the V2 template in varied dimensions.

2016-04-29-921.jpg2016-04-29-920.jpg

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Excellent, thank you.

Next question:
    I am worried about my M50b25tu, due it's teeny little fuel injectors and crude red-label 413 DME.
    Has anyone with this motor had the same "bolt it on and let the DME adapt to the massive increase in air" success that you had with your M52, Mr. M52?

I am considering picking up a set of M52 injectors but haven't run the math yet to see if they would be insufficient or overkill.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    About some 2 ~ 3 Years ago one of the very very early prototypes were used on a M50B25 (non TU so older M50B25NV/Non Vanos). And the car did run quite well but the boost was kept under 5 PSI (for obvious reasons), it needed some adapting with a Fuel Pressure Regulator in later concepts specially the M3 and 328i concept which followed its success. In my M52 Prototype before I decided to market this setup last year, even the 21.5 lb injectors weren't enough, the ECU did try to overfuel to compensate hence running rich. I sold my M52 Injectors for around $80 and picked up a set of white giants 36lb's for $150 in this forum, they also go for that much in ebay. Note the real whitegiants dont have the second groove, only one grove and the second one needs to be cut out using a hack saw. I'd just grab a set of larger injectors and have it tuned to use them or just install a Variable Fuel Pressure Regulator and do it old school if you dont want to do much tuning, Under 5 PSI you should be fine, thats what the blower with stock pulley is capable of which would essentially get any 328i near the euro 3L M3 power curve, just earlier.. However be warned if you up the boost using smaller pulleys, you need a proper tune, also you may need a new belt tensioner, in both out M50 and M52 prototypes out belt tensioners caused slips and not making the right ammount of boost.

For reference, Here's the top Bracket A variations between the M50NV, M50TU and US S52/M52. As you can see the location is the same, just varies in dept, hence the adapter plate is included in the design to make the top bracket universal.

M50NV-M52-M50-S52US.png
    Last edited by MisterM52; 04-28-2016 at 10:49 PM.

My Cars
    One Too Many

V2

Gentlemen, as promised, May I present to you, the ingenious of Mister Hyde

The V2 single plate design, the ultimate mounting bracket.

V1 Bracket Wrap Adapter

It may look rough, but its precision is down to a mm of error as long as you use my design template.

A New Guide is being produced as we speak which will be incorporated to the original guide, including down to the drill bit size of the holes.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    ok buddy! almost there! bodykit is almost done! another 40+ hours of misc stuff on the car and its turbosupercharger time! ...
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    You're doing it right, that bracket is impressive. Definitely figure you're tuning out and I think you'll have it.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast