Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaffert View Post
    im really just worried with me doing the shark injector reflash and how a supercharger would respond with that tune on my car. but i guess ill just do it anyway? maybe after I finish my e30

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the offer but I will be grabbing the whole package from Turner Motorsports with the CAI, Tune, and M50 manifold swap setup. The cams costed me $350 USD. I am probably waiting till my E30 runs and drives so I can drive that while I swap everything over in my E36 ect. ect. ect.
    I would guess it would respond slightly better than having no tunes at all, as when you do the cams, you do need a tune or they wont run properly, I am driving my car without any tunes atm and I am good, the only reason I dont have a tune yet is because the only BMW Tuner in North Island NZ, Gavin Ballers (Hi Velocity) is on a holiday in UK till later this month.. I bought the shark injector from someone here last year when I bought the M3 Cams, but read more afterwards and it wont work on euro cars, so its still in packaging and unused. I built a CAI myself earlier this year from junk parts, all I did was grab a 45 Degree Silicone Hose, and reused the factory elbow, used a rezor to trim the inside to accommodate a 3" intercooler pipe(junk pipe I got from a friend with other intercooler piping stuff), then had the 45 deg silicone going down and connecting to the maf which connected to the pod filter, I have it sitting on top of the brake duct which is also modified to push air in the pod filter. But then again its expensive for me to buy stuff from the US and have them sent here and never wanted to buy anything that I can do better or just as well..sometimes it has saved me and other times not so much.

If I were you I would just grab the M50 Manifold kit from Eric, Then Put the Cams, Manifold in, make my own DIY CAI and grab a cheap shark injector like mine and be done with it.

PS: Make sure you delete the PCV if you want to use my or any other supercharger/turbo setup.. here is what I did with the eric kit.. just run a 1 1/2 inch to 1/4" adapter to connect your crank case and oil oil dip stick line togather and put a T Piece in the middle to put a filter in there to vent the gases, or just use a cheap ebay oil catch can like I am using.

2015-10-27-344.jpg
    Last edited by MisterM52; 11-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Version 1.2 Final Is now available, also adding a parts list below from the guide that comes in addition to the plans; its a 19 Page Guide in PDF format on the CD that gets into the all the nitty gritty so that even a wrench monkey can build a kit based on it by perhaps making a copy to just tracing the 1:1 Live sized technical drawings onto sheet metal.

I have also found out final production kits can easily be made to work with the M3 (S50/S52) type motors, as the Bottom brackets remain pretty much the same, and only the top one needs some work.

Parts List

Here I will try to help you gather an idea of the parts you will need and where to get them so you don’t end up wasting too
    much money or time, Once you have the Supercharger mounted and positioned properly, these can be merely an hour or
    twos work at best if you have all the parts around,

Belt
    The Serpentine Belt I am using is 6PK2250 for the 103mm Pulley, Previously I was using was size 6PK2260mm belt for the
    SC14 with 115mm Pulley, So it depends on your pulley size, I suggest you go sizes 10mm up or down for every 10mm - 15mm
    smaller pulley. As you change pulleys you will need to get shorter belts, I bought and returned a bunch of belts from
    Partsmaster looking for the right size; they were pretty cheap as I got a discount since friend has a account there.

Idler Pulley
    BMW part number Serpentine BELT TENSIONER PULLEY - 11281748131 Part # 11 28 1 748 131. 153mm. You will require this
    idler pulley to go on to the top bracket to apply more tension to the Belt, it simply bolts on after you have constructed the
    top bracket

325I Radiator Upper Hose
    Grab an upper hose from a 325i Radiator, you will be using this as your new radiator hose due to the Pulley & Belts being in
    the way of reusing the old one, You will need to either modify this or even try the old one, both will work. As seen below. We are using a Joiner to join both ends, and added a temp sensor adapter for our electric fan conversion. Basically below is
    the shape you are aiming form which cabe attained by cutting close to the bend coming from the radiator, then turning up
    side down the long piece of pipe to give you the correct angle.

Pipes, Silicone Hoses & Hose Clamps

Most commonly I found myself using 76mm/3” Inner Diameter for Pipes & Silicone Hoses, I bought them online from a
    trademe store.

Buy yourself some straight and 2 U bend piping, Also Grab some silicone hose joiners as well 1 45 Degree & 2 90 Degree
    silicone elbows.Our piping was quite simple at last, the one that goes towards the Throttle Body had a ½” barb welded on it for the IdleControl Valve Pipe, That’s the only position it should be in, since if you did put it in the intake of the supercharger you would have a bypass for boost therefore making the setup redundant.

Most of the minor fittings and smaller hoses for vacuum etc can be found in your nearest plumbing stores as well as auto
    stores, here I bought a lot of stuff from Partsmaster, Arnold Franks and Super Cheap Auto.
    Its recommended you use good quality regular hose clamps throughout, the fancy T Bolt types look nice but can be a PIA
    and leak if not done right, I wasn’t able to put a single one of them to good use till later in my build.

½” Joiners, 1/4” Joiners, 1” Joiners, Elbows, Reducer Buy Brass Ones, - You’ll need these for rerouting vacuumed pipes & venting the CCV.
    1x 3” Inlet POD Filter
    Thread Tape & Black Gasket Maker
    12x 4"/ Big Hose Clamps
    1x 90 Degree 3" L Bend Silicone Hose
    1x 45 Degree 3" Silicone Hose
    1x Straight 3" Silicone Hose (Just Incase!)
    2x U Bend Intercooler Piping
    2x Foot Straight Intercooler Piping (Just Incase)
    8x 16mm Bolts (Only need 6 but always keep extras, Blower needs 4 to mount, and Rear Bracket also uses 2 Bolts)
    2x 12 mm Bolts (You need only one to secure the top bracket to the Oil Filter Housing)
    2 Meter of 19mm Hose (Fuel/Nitrate/Oil Rated)
    2 Meter of 10mm Hose
    2 Meter of 5mm Hose (For Vacuum)
    20x Lot of Smaller Hose Clamps
    Zip Ties (Use them for the smaller vacuum lines)
    5 Meters of Automotive Electrical Wire (10 – 15 Amp is enough), You need to solder and extend the MAF, IAT, Charcoil Canister
    Connectors, And also need to connect the Supercharger’s Clutch to a power source(either switched or what you like, some people like
    to hook it so it comes on WOT I had mine hooked to the Fog Lights

Optional:
    1x Oil Catch Can With Filter, I am using a Cheap Can to vent the Crank Case to and have the oil drained back to the motor
    while the fumes are vented into the atmosphere, Simple and does the job.
    1x BOV, I am using this because I had one laying around, its modified into the SC14 Boost Pipe and using a 9PSI spring, Under
    5PSI your pipes will just expand a bit..
    6x Larger Injectors, I bought some 36lb ones from somebody in the forum for less then $150 shipped. This is only if you are
    making more power using a smaller pulley and if your tuner suggests you to, the Pink Top M52 Injectors are Rated 21lb and
    shown to work well under 5PSI.
    1x 16” Electrical Fan to replace the Mechanical One (Easy to wire this too, I will show you how to automate it later in the
    guide)
    1x Water Temp Adapter
    1x Adjustable Water Temp Switch and Gauge (I am using Veethree Gauges that both reads the Water temp ad can be uses as
    a Switch to close a circuit, ideal for the Fan)
    1x Boost Gauge (Again I am using a Veethree Gauge) why? Because it’s the cheapest actual brand available without going
    the no brand china stuff

Tools Side: BMW Fan Removal Tool, (or just jam a thick screw driver to lock the water pump nuts and undo the fan with a
    32mm spanner, clock wise will remove it. Some Short and Really Long Screw Drivers to get into hard to reach places, See
    all this all depends how much work you want to do these will be mostly basic tools like a Good Complete Socket Set with
    spanners and smaller pieces & extensions, Jack and Jackstands as you will lift the front of the car and go underneath a few
    times to undo bolts to the power steering pump) and check fitment and do the rear bolts. Electrical Tape, Heat shrink,
    Soldering Iron for your wiring, A Drill with step flute bits and an Angle Grinder with cut off wheels also helps but I guess you
    can take care of all that on your own, Specially when having the SC14 Manifolds cut to size and welded to the shape you
    want.

WILL TAKE ORDERS NOW!
    Last edited by MisterM52; 11-11-2015 at 02:23 AM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    If you post a video of you driving the supercharged car I am convinced and I will start looking for an SC14.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I don't want this to come off the wrong way but I think your investing too much time and money into a project that really has a VERY limited group of interest. Also a very small power gain, utilizing an outdated, discontinued supercharger. Your ambition and motivation is inspiring to say the least. I hope the best for your project, but I wanted to drop my $0.02 and think you should take this same ambition and motivation on trying to locate a widely used supercharger, something that will make some power and look down that path. But even the supercharger game itself is kinda washed up for the e36.
    Good luck.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I don't want this to come off the wrong way but I think your investing too much time and money into a project that really has a VERY limited group of interest. Also a very small power gain, utilizing an outdated, discontinued supercharger. Your ambition and motivation is inspiring to say the least. I hope the best for your project, but I wanted to drop my $0.02 and think you should take this same ambition and motivation on trying to locate a widely used supercharger, something that will make some power and look down that path. But even the supercharger game itself is kinda washed up for the e36.
    Good luck.
    Whipple or Kenne bell would be absolutely kick ass.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Good luck.

Thank you, Butterrs; I love the way you put it and appreciate your honestly and straight forwardness in regards. It is true that for now I am tragetting a minority group of people depending on their region, but they are whom are willing to venture on a budget to attain another 100HP for a lot less work and fraction of the cost of buying a M3 or a comercial kit that would cost many many times more. But I take your words with great understanding and agreement and let me say "this" is just the begining, only if SC14's were not so readly available in Aus/NZ/Japan and had I access to a more widely used superchargers without paying a lot of money I would make it work with our cars too. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean everybody else can, and that was one of the key reasons to keep the SC14, its something nearly anybody can afford to build..For now this works on all M50/M52/M54 types of motors should they be found in E30, E34, E38, E39 and E46.

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Whipple or Kenne bell would be absolutely kick ass.
    Get me the blower or have a group sponsor me, I will get it done.

The other supercahrger we have here is the eatons M60's and M90's which here cost $1500 - $2000 where the SC14 is a good alternative at $300 - $400 with quite similar output for what the stock M52 motor can handle, and for the price of the eaton you can have a setup running!

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetester View Post
    If you post a video of you driving the supercharged car I am convinced and I will start looking for an SC14.
    Consider it done.. was on my list to do and I should have that done this week, currently making a DIY Camera Harness for a Video Shoot. I can also supply SC14's from NZ but you would have to pay shipping so rather you find one locally in junkyards and ebay.

So far I have sold some with no complaints, I am sure you will like it anyway, How do I know? I had a few Ditch GF's and a good friend from Fresland its always show and tell with you guys.

I am also working on a DIY US HD Lip Velocity Splitter + M3 GTR Style Splitter if anyone is intrested, will sell these too. Or least can sell you the diagrams to make one locally

2015-11-12-500.jpg
    Last edited by MisterM52; 11-12-2015 at 01:40 AM.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Some Driving Around Northland, New Zealand. Demonstration video just to prove how reliable and solid my Hyde Motor Works Budget Supercharger setup is even without any tunes. Told ya I'll prove everybody wrong. Now, Come take some more kits.

Last edited by MisterM52; 11-14-2015 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Here's a friends E30 316i with the blower, custom tune by fekzen and pushing 10PSI. Makes more power then the M3 E30.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I'm in. For a $300-$400 supercharger that can put 100hp on.... I'm in.. I don't see why ppl aren't crawling over each other for these. If this is true il be putting hydes face on the side of my car. Jk

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Bump.
    Possibly looking at going this route for my M50.
    Any new sucess stories, Mr. M52?
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Have sold to about 10 people, mostly locally and a few internationally, gave out for free to a few as well.. one guy I know is doing it locally this month on his M52. Spyderg0d above should be starting his project sometime soon and if feseable something good should come out of it for both of us and all other bmw enthusiasts, full bolt on kits may be possible.

Right now I have whiteprints for sale for the diy minded. if you send me your email, I will send you the 20 page guide for you to have a look, and if you like it I will ship you my white prints.

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    I wonder how much this setup would cost and benefit a NVM50

My Cars
    One Too Many
    message me your email and i'll send you the guide so you get an idea..

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Hmmm....
    I'm seeing Previa superchargers ranging from $150 to $600 on car-parts dot com, mostly $250-300ish plus shipping of course.
    A place near me has 3 for $250 each.
    I can't bite yet, need to finish my suspension and then start making Mishimoto wealthier. No way my radiator with it's 1998 build sticker is going to survive long enough to even tune the car.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    This SCer kit thing needs to hit a dyno. To see results. Or a 1/4 drag strip for trap speeds.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'm still waiting for AFR numbers.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I'm still waiting for AFR numbers.
    That too.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Sent to all that have asked. The SC14 goes between $150 - $250 in the US. The One I have is the Yellow Dipstick and Cross Pulley. All the best.

Fly & Butters, Will have AFR/Dyno Some time soon, We dont have any 1/4 Miles around here, only 1/4 back roads (this is nz, not some 2nd or 1st world nation). ATM I am trying to put a 20PSI Pulley at 100% efficiency on smaller motors, which in theory should up the total motor efficiency to 125%-140%,

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Sent to all that have asked. The SC14 goes between $150 - $250 in the US. The One I have is the Yellow Dipstick and Cross Pulley. All the best.

Fly & Butters, Will have AFR/Dyno Some time soon, We dont have any 1/4 Miles around here, only 1/4 back roads (this is nz, not some 2nd or 1st world nation). ATM I am trying to put a 20PSI Pulley at 100% efficiency on smaller motors, which in theory should up the total motor efficiency to 125%-140%,
    Need intercoolings!

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post

Need intercoolings!
    Maybe bigger gains from water injection.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Maybe bigger gains from water injection.
    Good idea.

However I for one will be sticking to just a 5 psi no-frills bump.
    We here in Budgetlandia have to be very careful about Space Shuttle Syndrome and Power Madness.

But I posted that because if Mr. M52 is going for 20 psi he better have some heat-reduction technology.

My Cars
    95 325is m52 obd1 swap
    Extremely interested in a kit for my m52 please pm me with more info!

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Funds have arived!! As soon as the charger arives il be test fitting the bracket. However, a new problem has arisen... My guy that was going to do my tune apperently decided to drive drunk last week and wrap his body around a tree some thirty ft away from his car.. Fieken moronz... So theres one less turbocharged tiburon in the world. Looking for tuners in cny area. I doupt the bmw repair shop that does tunes does these kinds of tunes.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    apperently decided to drive drunk last week and wrap his body around a tree some thirty ft away from his car.. Fieken moronz... So theres one less turbocharged tiburon in the world.
    Also one less ethanol fueled moron in the world...

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast