Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front thrust arm differences

My Cars
    1994 Alpine White 840Ci
    Any chance you have a link to the correct factory alignment specs? Thanks... Bill
    Last edited by shogun; 04-25-2019 at 08:18 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
    '94 840Ci "Broomhilda"
    Mission Creep |def|: "When repair X ultimately leads to repair Y and Z"

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    It is in the shop manual https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/721en/index.htm

Front wheel alignment is the easiest thing, I do that always DIY with a trakrite tool http://www.gunsontools.co.uk/item.as...1352&item=1812
    http://www.gunson.co.uk/items/pdf/Pr...structions.pdf
    Last edited by shogun; 10-25-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by blanz View Post
    Any chance you have a link to the correct factory alignment specs?
    Thanks... Bill

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Did you ever sort this out?
    I have the same problem

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    I purchased new E34 M5 HD bushings and some new Lemforder e31 specific UCA's and had them installed (I even compared them side by side with my Wokke UCA's and they are identical lengths) and I STILL have the same problem of wheel sitting too close to rear side of wheel arch. its DRIVING ME NUTS seeing my car like this now on both sides.
    It was not like this 5-6 years ago according to my pics.
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    1994 Alpine White 840Ci
    Welcome to the madness!!!
    '94 840Ci "Broomhilda"
    Mission Creep |def|: "When repair X ultimately leads to repair Y and Z"

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I purchased new E34 M5 HD bushings and some new Lemforder e31 specific UCA's and had them installed (I even compared them side by side with my Wokke UCA's and they are identical lengths) and I STILL have the same problem of wheel sitting too close to rear side of wheel arch. its DRIVING ME NUTS seeing my car like this now on both sides.
    It was not like this 5-6 years ago according to my pics.
    Like I said before in this thread, bent strut towers. Thats just my opinion ...

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Like I said before in this thread, bent strut towers. Thats just my opinion ...
    And how can that be straightened?

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I am about to install my camber plates from ENGL. If my front wheels are currently sitting further back than centered, will the plates cause any issues that shift the wheels back further?

My understanding is this -2.0 degree will only slightly impact my caster values, so my wheels will only move back a tad. Is my understanding correct? My car is CSI springs all around and I am running the bump steer plates.

Thank you for the alignment specs M6bigdog.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    If you bend the strut towers there would be metal fatigue showing somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840, 1995 850
    I don't know about those camber plates, but I installed MWrench's and never could get mine properly aligned because of the rearward position of the front wheels in the wheel wells causing excessive negative camber.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-25-2019 at 08:21 PM.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Same here. I had to remove e the MWrench camber plates cause my wheels could never get close to what they should have been. Not even close

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I have the ENGL ones, but this does not sound hopeful. Thank you both for the heads up and response.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    95 E31 840Ci, 99 E36 M3,

Front thrust arm differences

I’m in the same situation now, my driver side wheel is about 1/2 closer to the back than the passengers. Did anybody ever figure out what the issue was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MiamiBimmerClub; 05-03-2019 at 08:49 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBimmerClub View Post
    I’m in the same situation now, my driver side wheel is about 1/2 closer to the back than the drivers. Did anybody ever figure out what the issue was?
    which model/built year?
    My Cars: 2015 F80 M3
    check the arm length installed on the car if it is an E31 and compare with the posted data in this thread.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-25-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    never did figure out why both of my front wheels sit much closer to the rear of wheel arch and I have verrified I do have the e31 arms.

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    They all do that is correct as my understanding. I think Timm even posted a picture from a factory brochure, with the same rearward bias.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    E31gixxer the odd thing is years ago, according to pictures from when I first got my car and the new wheels/tires I did not have the problem. It wasn't till something suspension wise was changed that I got the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    E31gixxer the odd thing is years ago, according to pictures from when I first got my car and the new wheels/tires I did not have the problem. It wasn't till something suspension wise was changed that I got the problem.

Well in your case it would suggest something in the suspension setup has changed, granted.
    This has been discussed before and the consensus of opinion is that the wheel sits closer to the rear, mine does and always has, even with several suspension rebuilds. No issues with tyre scrubbing running 18x9 et12 Alps.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I have always wondered if this thing got sorted out.
    From reading the thread it points out that one of the lower control arms is a bad one.

My Cars
    ‘91 850ci, Artic W
    Curious also, for i have the dreaded ‘shimmy’. Tire pressure, rotation, ETC have not remedied it. Time for upper control arms, BUT from where to get the correct version. Thanks to all the contributors WELL in advance & past.

My Cars
    10/91 850i, 1989 325is
    Just did my upper and lower control arms and regretting it now. They were the original units on the car and I've swapped them out with Meyle/Lemforder and now my wheel is also sitting far back in the wheel arch.

Going to try and take measurements as I still have the original BMW units I removed, but any more light on this would be amazing.

Did this to cure the shimmy and it's still there. Going to check the allow condition again but this castor is what is really bothering me!

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    welcome to the mystery club

My Cars
    850i-6sp, MR2-T, SC400
    I recall this thread from the past and kind of forgot about it. But now I'm a little concerned as I have just ordered both Upper and Lower control arms from Wokke for my 91 850i. I'm not concerned with his parts, but perhaps the whole replacement process creates this issue. The current wheel position in the well is centered well and I have not had any alignment issues. My only reason for replacement is I noted some cracking on some of the ball joint boots and on center steering vagueness. And, 30 years old. I did the complete rear end a couple of years ago and thought now would be the time to finish up the remaining wearable suspension parts and make it all new. I have the front left disassembled, and as I look at the UCA, it looks like it could be swapped with the other side. And given the shape, if it can be swapped, it appears to me that it might force the front geometry to move slightly towards the rear. Anyone have any thoughts on this possibility?

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I am also in the same spot as all of you. One side is good and the other is not. Please find a solution

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast