Thread: Dealer Responsibility for New Car Issue

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Dealer Responsibility for New Car Issue

Hoping I can find some advice....

I purchased a brand new X2 around Thanksgiving. As the days have become longer I've noticed alot of clearcoat overspray on the windshield. I don't think that the car has had any paintwork, I believe it is from a mobile touchup service working near the car on the dealer lot.

I asked to have the dealer clean the glass, and made no mention of blame, etc. Please just fix it. I wanted to drop the car off, receive a loaner and pick it up when finished.

First response from dealer... no loaners are available for this type of service. We can call you an Uber.

After I baulked at the Uber, their next response was it's not our fault, you have allowed the car to be damaged in your possession. Which is absolutely not the case! We'll do you a favor" and have it cleaned. Their detail service has not responded to multiple calls from me to set up an appointment.

Really unhappy with them at this point.

Where do I go from here? BMW NA?

Thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It sounds like the dealer doesn’t value its customers. I’d call BMW NA to explain the situation. Now be advised that the dealer is a franchisee and is not owned by BMW NA. So, be courteous but firm. Explain why you didn’t notice the problem at delivery. I wouldn’t recommend trying another dealer as the damage was done at that specific dealer.

Good luck.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Really? You can't clean your own windshield?
    0000 steel wool and some good glass cleaner(I like Sprayway aerosol) or lacquer thinner if it is heavy. Obviously use care with the later.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Really? You can't clean your own windshield?
    0000 steel wool and some good glass cleaner(I like Sprayway aerosol) or lacquer thinner if it is heavy. Obviously use care with the later.

I've already tried to remove it with clay, steel wool and acetone. This is fully hardened 2 pack clearcoat, not spray enamel. If I damage the car trying to fix it, it becomes my problem.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I'm afraid I'm past courteous. The salesperson basically called me a liar to my face. Worst customer service exchange I've had in forty years of buying cars.

I'm afraid that they will have the lot boy have a go at it with a razor blade. There is a local high end body shop that could sort it for me. Probably the best option at this point.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by danolectro View Post
    I've already tried to remove it with clay, steel wool and acetone. This is fully hardened 2 pack clearcoat, not spray enamel. If I damage the car trying to fix it, it becomes my problem.
    I see.
    Whatever it is the razor blade you mention, employed by yourself or someone you can trust to be careful sounds like a good idea. Agreed that the dealer will delegate this to a lot boy, perhaps the same one that gouged the paint on one of my cars years back removing the dealer's sticker.
    Perhaps you'll be best served by taking your lumps, doing this yourself and taking your business elsewhere.
    Ironic that a car salesman calls you a liar.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-23-2019 at 08:19 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The salesmen for the most part are scum, never trust them unless they give you a reason to. And really BMW does not care about it. It is just the way it is. After working at a BMW dealership for many years, it's just not good that's why independent shops can do so well, you can actually talk with them