Thread: M52 Rhythmic Noise - Vacuum Leak?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2

M52 Rhythmic Noise - Vacuum Leak?

Got a bit of a head-scratcher. Haven't had the time yet to get under the car and poke around, but was hoping to get some guidance before I do. This is on the convertible... 328i with 110k.

There's a rhythmic "honk/suck" sound coming from the engine bay when the engine is running. I've poked around a bit and I think it's coming from under the intake manifold. At the very least, it's on the driver's side of the bay.

Some notable information:

• Noise is consistent regardless of RPM
    • Noise is consistent regardless of road speed
    • Noise does not change in pitch or volume, ever
    • Noise continues for about 0.5 sec after shutting the engine off
    • Rhythmic noise changes to steady/solid drone if I remove oil cap at idle

Video is below, sorry I couldn't YouTube but I don't have WiFi access at work so Vimeo it is (they support LTE data uploads!).

Any ideas would be great.

The PO of the car said he replaced the PCV, the hose running from valve cover to PCV (that hard plastic one at front of motor), the grommet for PCV-to-intake manifold, and the hose from PCV to intake boot.

He also replaced the lines to the vacuum canister, cleaned the IAC valve and replaced the IAC hose.

He did not replace the hose that goes from the PCV to the oil pan/dipstick. I'm guessing that may be the culprit - #6 in the diagram here.

The car has had a P1188 code since I bought it, but otherwise idles and runs 100% fine.
    Last edited by Brake_L8; 10-14-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    Def a PCV system issue

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Cross-posted this to Bimmerfest as well. Someone there suggested it may be the pressure regulator itself that is failing (or has failed). I'll be poking around after work tonight. Roommate has some vacuum line laying around that we can cut to fit, assuming I need that hose (or some other hose).

The pressure regulator is allegedly new in the last year, but it seems the PO thought that "cheapest parts from Rock Auto" were always the best to use, so it could well be some Uro POS that has already failed.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Just went through this on a 3.2 M3 E36. I had replaced the system a year ago. Owner insisted on buying all new again and paying for the repair. I knew that he had not supplied #3 the first time. It was hard as a carp. Replaced all AND #3. Problem solved. IT was the issue. You MAY be able to get to it without disconnecting the hoses, but that is a maybe. Being cheap, it would be wise to buy #1 and have it on hand.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    So #1 and #3 are new per the previous owner. I will pull it all apart, though (I've done the work on my M3 before) and give it a look. Thanks for the tip!
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Bimmer bummer. You'll need to inspect for PROPER installation. That grommet LOOKS like the similar grommet for the ICV, but a different p/n. So, worth knowing.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    Bimmer bummer. You'll need to inspect for PROPER installation. That grommet LOOKS like the similar grommet for the ICV, but a different p/n. So, worth knowing.
    Yeah. And knowing how the PO worked (installed "new rear shock mounts!" but forgot the washers so they blew out... ugh) it's probably wrong.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    Yeah. And knowing how the PO worked (installed "new rear shock mounts!" but forgot the washers so they blew out... ugh) it's probably wrong.
    Ah ha. Well, he SAID he did a new CCV system. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    I mean, I don't doubt that there are new parts on it. But I do doubt that they are of good quality and/or properly installed.

The "brand new rear shocks" were $10/each SenSen junk from Rock Auto.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    OK, gave it all a look tonight.

The plastic hose from the valve cover to the PCV is cracked at the clip holding it to the VC. I can feel what seems like electrical tape "sealing" the hose from the PCV to the oil pan, where it meets the PCV. Pulling the dipstick out makes the noise constant and loud.

FCP Euro has a kit that provides a new PCV unit, new hoses and a new grommet (where it pushes in to the intake manifold) for $135 shipped. I just ordered that, no sense dealing with this piecemeal when I can replace it all as a unit.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Leaks be leaks !!!!! If FCP has not shipped the order yet, you might want to stop that order. O have ordered from FCP and ESC and both ship some real cheap parts sometimes. India is NOT a source I trust. Ask them where the parts come from. Then contact Pelican and ask the same.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    Leaks be leaks !!!!! If FCP has not shipped the order yet, you might want to stop that order. O have ordered from FCP and ESC and both ship some real cheap parts sometimes. India is NOT a source I trust. Ask them where the parts come from. Then contact Pelican and ask the same.
    Everything is OEM BMW parts. I avoid Uro like the plague, and Febi/Bilstein depending on what the part is.

Pelican was willing to sell me the same stuff for $25 more.

I appreciate the concern, but FCP as of the past few years has been the best place for OEM parts. Not my first rodeo with them.
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    1997 328i
    HI..this is a old thread, but what was the solution ? I have the exact same issue after replacing CCV unit, Didnt do ti before, now it does, but old one was bad, so maybe new one is bringing to light some other issues..
    Thanks

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    At the risk of sounding snarky, have your completely rechecked your work? Where did you buy the new CCV system? It is not hard to break/damage the harder tubes if you don't "hold your mouth right".

Not sure if the following would cause the rythmic sound, but the dipstick tube can clog up in the channel where the dip tube attaches. If you pull the tube to inspect it, get a new OEM o-ring, and put it on the tube before installing (as putting in the block first can cause problems) with a bit of grease around the o-ring.