Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Zep's Underwhelming VF 540i

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    My Modded NA 540 can beat a 335 Audi S5 V8 and V8 S4... Those are cars I have raced in person and beat, in theory it can beat a lot more than that...

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I've had two 01 540 sports and this one has always run particularly faster than my last one tho... Every now and then u get a really fast running motor and also not

My Cars
    bmw
    Received the new cable from TTFS and managed to read the ECU and send the file to Kyle at TTFS.

It has taken a while but am I now really looking forward to getting the new tune upload and see how we go. I haven't driven the car since....October-ish I think so I am keen to get it up and running again.

I had a custom 2.5" exhaust fab'd up and installed prior to installing the 3.25" pulley and 42lb injectors, so in addition to the Alpina TCU flash and the 6500rpm limit I expect to see some decent power now.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Any updates?
    Sold: 2000-BMW-E39-540i/Biarritz-Blue/Gray-Interior/DSP Sound.
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Handling: ECSTuning Cup Kit (Koni Yellow/H&R 50464)/BF-Goodrich Comp-2 A/S.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgnms View Post
    Any updates?
    ^^^^^^ been following this for a while. Thinking of getting the supercharger along and some other parts, fanning the rest myself, and then getting either a custom tune or buying VFs tune.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    What parts exactly do you plan finding/doing yourself?
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    bmw
    Any updates?
    No, nothing yet. Still waiting for the remapped file to be emailed to me.

My Cars
    1999 540i S/C
    My dyno sheet.IMG_1512.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Clark49660; 02-23-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: wrong pic

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    That is an interesting design.

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    1999 540i S/C
    What is it you find interesting.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The metal tube and most VF's if seen have closer to 400 RWHP.

My Cars
    1999 540i S/C
    The previous owner had the supercharger installed. The pipe was custom made by RDP Motorsports in Ohio. The PO chose not to under drive the pulley due to the transmission being an automatic. I think with all the mods done on this car the RWHP #s should be higher.

My Cars
    bmw
    After many months of being neglected, I finally got around to having the 3.25" pulley, 42lb injectors and TTFS tune sorted out.

I got a local workshop to do the work but they couldnt get the 1470mm belt on, so they purchased a 1485mm Gates belt as a temporary fix and so I could drive it out of there. It sat stationary for a while because the cables/software initially issued by TTFS were not compatible with the DME7.2 and took a bit of trial and error to resolve it.

After looking around for other alternative belts I ordered a few such as gates 1478 and 1470, however they aren't local and will take a week or so to arrive. As an interim measure I removed the VF tensioner pulley, which is 56mm and replaced it with a 70mm version, just to see if it improved things at all. I think with the 1478 belt it should be a good fit as it should give a little bit more wrap on the pulley but we shall see.

The check engine light is on and despite clearing some rich condition codes and it will not go away, which is a worry.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I think once you get the belt size figured out, you'll be in good shape.

Scan for codes. You may have a check sum error.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I think once you get the belt size figured out, you'll be in good shape.

Scan for codes. You may have a check sum error.
    What would the symptoms of a checksum error be?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    You'll just get a check engine light if you have that error. Did you scan for codes?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    bmw
    You'll just get a check engine light if you have that error. Did you scan for codes?
    Yeah the codes were for rich conditions on banks 1 & 2. Cleared them yet the CEL remains.

A checksum error seems quite likely as it only appeared after loading the tune file. There wasn't any errors during the process however. How do I resolve a checksum error? Do just reload the tune file or will I need to speak to Frank about it?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Scan again or use a better scanner. There must be a code if that light is on.

My Cars
    bmw
    Scan again or use a better scanner. There must be a code if that light is on.
    Using INPA I scanned and cleared all codes and shadow codes from the DME, EWS IKE and any other module I could access. The CEL is still on.

I might dig out my old laptop that has BMW scanner setup and see if that makes a difference.

As it stands now after driving around a little bit, the trims are pulling out as much fuel as it can at -25% STFTs on both banks. Perhaps the tune didn't load properly.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    After looking around for other alternative belts I ordered a few such as gates 1478 and 1470, however they aren't local and will take a week or so to arrive. As an interim measure I removed the VF tensioner pulley, which is 56mm and replaced it with a 70mm version, just to see if it improved things at all. I think with the 1478 belt it should be a good fit as it should give a little bit more wrap on the pulley but we shall see.

The check engine light is on and despite clearing some rich condition codes and it will not go away, which is a worry.
    Did you see the post I replied to you on Philly's thread about belts? I am sure the 1470 (was it a Goodyear by chance? got a couple gatorbacks - what VF supplied BITD - and they are so tight they seem wrong) could have been fitted but it does seem impossible until you have made it work a few times. Here's the reply I gave over there...

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Zepper - the 60586 / 1485 belts will be too long for small pulley. The 60578 / 1470 (the 2 belt measurement standard equivalents...) should fit well but we have seen variation between mfrs for sure. For the 3.25 w 60578HD Gates green belt i def have no slip and great power and not impossible to fit. Belt is never a concern for me. W an even smaller pulley though i think Chris's wrap idler mod will be more essential.

Suggest you try maybe another mfr 60578 ? A goodyear 1470 is way way way tight for instance and takes super finagling to get on to the point of feeling wrong (although with work you can force it) but the gates "same size" is just enough difft to be fairly workable. Can you get a Gates?
    Also if the rich is not going away - are you sure the TTFS flash "took" ? I have seen these ECU's look like they took a flash but actually reject it.

If you get a checksum error at the end of the flash it can be that the flash didn't take therefore you're still running on the OEM calibration therefore rich as crap.

What cable & SW are you using now to flash it? MPPS? Galletto?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Did you see the post I replied to you on Philly's thread about belts? I am sure the 1470 (was it a Goodyear by chance? got a couple gatorbacks - what VF supplied BITD - and they are so tight they seem wrong) could have been fitted but it does seem impossible until you have made it work a few times. Here's the reply I gave over there...

Also if the rich is not going away - are you sure the TTFS flash "took" ? I have seen these ECU's look like they took a flash but actually reject it.

If you get a checksum error at the end of the flash it can be that the flash didn't take therefore you're still running on the OEM calibration therefore rich as crap.

What cable & SW are you using now to flash it? MPPS? Galletto?
    Yes, I saw your reply on Philly's thread. I have ordered a few belts as it appears some trial and error is needed. The belt I had was a Dayco 1470 so I ordered a Gates 1470 and 1478 to try.

The cable TTFS ended up using was the same as the VF hex tuning cable and a program called ProTuner 2.0. It seemed to load the file perfectly but...the STFTs are at -25% at idle and its not very smooth as you can imagine. Another problem I have is that the TTFS supplied logging software and cable do not work with DME7.2 so I will have to keep using TorquePro, which isnt a very good setup.

My Cars
    bmw
    I have reloaded the TTFS file and it is still running very rich at idle. So I sent a log to Frank to see if it can be adjusted.

I also fitted a 1478 belt to match the 70mm tensioner pulley and belt slip appears to be minimal if any.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5

Zep's Underwhelming VF 540i

What is your idle AFR? Do you have SAI removed?

When you cold start and if your SAP is working, your gauge should read full lean until it turns off (even though the AFR is richer). Once its off the AFR should get to 14.7 on your gauge.

You're also 100% sure that your fuel pressure at idle is around 43 PSI? If your vac line isn't plugged in then you will have 52 PSI in the rail though it still shouldn't be enough to bring trims to -25%, because my AEM fuel pump overpowers the regulator/return and I have 65PSI of idle rail pressure and trims are only -8%.
    Last edited by mcgnms; 04-15-2016 at 09:05 PM.

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    bmw
    What is your idle AFR? Do you have SAI removed?

When you cold start and if your SAP is working, your gauge should read full lean until it turns off (even though the AFR is richer). Once its off the AFR should get to 14.7 on your gauge.

You're also 100% sure that your fuel pressure at idle is around 43 PSI? If your vac line isn't plugged in then you will have 52 PSI in the rail though it still shouldn't be enough to bring trims to -25%, because my AEM fuel pump overpowers the regulator/return and I have 65PSI of idle rail pressure and trims are only -8%.
    I haven't as yet installed my wideband so I cant conform AFRs, however I have deleted SAI and it is rich when completely warmed up.

The vacuum line is plumbed into the FPR just fine and before going to the 42lb injectors I had great fuel trims.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5

Zep's Underwhelming VF 540i

If you have no wideband how are you determining you're running rich. With regards to the vacuum line its plugged into the manifold right? Not the charge pipe?

Just because you have negative trims does not mean you're running rich if thats what you're using to come to the conclusion.

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast