Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: E36 M3 Porsche 996 front caliper conversion

My Cars
    1995 M3
    My opinion.
    Yes, they definitely move bias to the rear. The math and real world experience show that. For me, it's border line too much rear bias. In the rain, the rear end goes to ABS long before the front, and the ABS on these cars is pretty crude. It makes the back end squirrelly in the wet (when braking). It does make for REALLY FUN HOONIGAN stuff in the wet.
    In dry, it takes 2-3 hard laps to heat the brakes up to the point the bias evens out a bit. I don't know why this happens, but my point is, in dry and after a few good laps it's a good setup. Note this doesn't seem to be needed later in the day, so it could just be the brakes need bedding in that first session.

Pad changes are much easier.
    Rotors last much longer.

Bottom line, for a track car, I wouldn't do this mod again. I'd stay with OEM or go straight to a 4 wheel Wilwood setup from Massive.

On the street, the above characteristics aren't nearly as prominent.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 01-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Bottom line, for a track car, I wouldn't do this mod again. I'd stay with OEM or go straight to a 4 wheel Wilwood setup from Massive.

On the street, the above characteristics aren't nearly as prominent.
    Aeronaut, what are your thoughts about this front BBK kit? (even if you don't own this or if you have heard anyone you know that runs this kit?)

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...t-cp8350-e36m3

It says it can be used with OEM rears. Thanks in advance

My Cars
    1995 M3
    In general, APracing has a rep for great calipers.
    Those look to have 38 & 41mm pistons, larger than the Brembo/Porsche calipers, which will help with the brake bias (won't move it as far back as the Brembos). Still, the question is what are you trying to do, move bias? Save money on consumables? Less maintenance?

You need to do the math on what those piston sizes and rotor diameter will do to bias.

That's a lot of money to spend on brakes on a 240hp car.

Others with APracing experience should chime in. But I wouldn't pay that much for very marginal gains over a solid Brembo or Wilwood setup, for these cars.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Not really trying to move bias. But yes, save money on consumables + less maintenance + easier pad changes + improved brake pedal feel over stock.

The Porsche 996 interests me as well, but I wonder if I just do the fronts with keeping the stock rear setup with a more aggressive pad. (huge bias change here maybe?)

Any links for the Brembo or Wilwood setup that comes in the complete package kit for the E36 M3? (other than Massive Lee)

I saw on Bimmerworld the Stoptech kit but that is still over $2k. With the 996 conversion, I would like to have brand new components but I suppose it being used and rebuilding that shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    My mate just had a Stoptech rotor explode on the track...
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, 98 M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
    My mate just had a Stoptech rotor explode on the track...
    It was a RacingBrake brand replacement friction ring.

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by tofunin View Post
    It was a RacingBrake brand replacement friction ring.
    You are correct, my bad.
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345