Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Where does one buy quarts/gallons of pre-matched bmw paint

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3

Where does one buy quarts/gallons of pre-matched bmw paint

Long story short I want to try my hand at painting my car. I've done lots and lots of reading and video watching, now the biggest issue is I cant seem to find anywhere to buy paint that is pre-mixed to the color I need. (I did find one place, and they wanted $80 a quart for paint)
    My car is lachsillber metallic, which from reading I found is also called salmon silver code 203. Anyone have any recommendations?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Try www.paintscratch.com but make sure you're sitting down when you look at the prices for pints and quarts. Car paint is expensive, no matter where you buy it. Maybe a local shop will mix you up a quart and charge you a small markup. It's worth a try.

Consider the fact that old cars have old faded paint so it's an extra problem to match the faded paint. Believe it or not, many shops have a special camera/device they can put on the car and sample the color. They'll be able to get a closer match to older, faded paint so that'd be an advantage to having a local shop make you up some.

If you're thinking of doing the whole car, then matching old faded paint wouldn't factor into your decision of course.
    Good luck

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3
    Ya, the whole car is faded so not an issue. I'm wanting to attempt one of these "roll-on" jobs, starting with the trunk so if it goes south not a total loss, I want to stay away from the rustoleum in case it does end up fading/chiping/flaking. Whats the best option for paint type if i'm going to be rolling? Acrylic enamel?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Roll???

My Cars
    e90 m3
    First off. Roll on job? Honestly? How could that come anywhere close to looking decent? Just go down to your ppg store and tell them the color code you want.

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3
    There are countless threads and videos of people doing roll on jobs with rustoleum amd the car comes out great. The thing is that I want to use real automotive paint to avoid any of the fading associated with rustoleum.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Have you thought about Plasti Dip?

My Cars
    88 325IX/96 318ti/08 X3
    Ide rather stick to factory color as much as possible and Im not a fan of how it looks. It doesnt have the true shine/gloss ide like to achieve.

My Cars
    BMW Serie 5
    If you are painting the whole car, it is ok, I'd say sites like http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/ will do the job. As said before, you will not get the same color exactly, but it will be close to the original and from your posts I feel like this is what you are looking for.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleMan View Post
    Ide rather stick to factory color as much as possible and Im not a fan of how it looks. It doesnt have the true shine/gloss ide like to achieve.
    You are not going to achieve much of anything rolling on automotive paint.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Automotive paint is one of those "do it right or do it twice" things. Sure, 'some' people have had good luck with the roll on paint, but overall, if you want durability and a quality finish, you have to spray. If you want to paint it yourself, spend some money on a quality paint gun (run off an air compressor), buy a 2-part base coat and a quality clearcoat, sand the whole car, mask it, remove what you can, wetsand and polish after you are done. The more time you spend on it, the better it will look. I've painted a couple of my buddy's classic cars with him, with much better results than the roll on would have ever got!
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Sherwin Williams auto paint store. Ive painted my fair share of cars and there color matched paint is by far the best in terms of bang for your buck. Its fairy inexpensive and it is always a perfect match and looks/goes on very very well.

That said.... spray it on.

My Cars
    2000 323Ci

Cool In a pinch, be creative.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    Have you thought about Plasti Dip?
    I have a 2000 323Ci coup to which I added a new front bumper cover. Looked all over for paint not requiring I take out a second on my home. My car is Lichtgelb Metallic (or, Light Yellow, in English). I found a 16 oz. spay can of all-surface auto paint at, don't laugh, Home Depot. "Pure gold";it is called and the match is perfect! Seriously; exact! I was lucky. Used a quality clear coat and it looks like factory. Not saying they have a match for every car, but it pays to think outside the box sometimes.