View Poll Results: What do you think of this write-up and the mod?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very helpful AND looks awesome!

65 77.38%
  • Very helpful but looks alright.

8 9.52%
  • Very helpful but doesn't look nice (or overkill).

3 3.57%
  • Alright but looks nice.

1 1.19%
  • Alright but doesn't look nice.

0 0%
  • Ehh, not very helpful but looks nice/alright.

4 4.76%
  • Not very helpful and ugly.

3 3.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HIDs in High Beams (or Low Beams) Write-up!!! - PICTURES!

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Thank you. It didn't make sense to me either, so I guess it was probably something else.
    Also, I would like to submit a photograph of my bimmer lights to this thread, how would I go about doing that?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by p.a.r.t.y
    Thank you. It didn't make sense to me either, so I guess it was probably something else.
    Also, I would like to submit a photograph of my bimmer lights to this thread, how would I go about doing that?
    If you can't post it in your post, try using Bimmerboard.com and uploading it there then linking it.

My Cars
    2005 330xi
    bump for me

Are all hid bulbs the same, whether they are in a "correct" housing or somehow put into the standard housing? I have a bulb out and need to replace it. I didn't buy or install these lights so I'm clueless about them.

My Cars
    BMW 325
    gr8 job !
    i'd go for it as soon as i get some cash !

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by pig4bill View Post
    Are all hid bulbs the same, whether they are in a "correct" housing or somehow put into the standard housing? I have a bulb out and need to replace it. I didn't buy or install these lights so I'm clueless about them.
    I believe so. And they're not actually "bulbs". No filaments. More like capsules.

You'd need to find out what headlights you have first before you can figure out the "bulb" you need to replace it. Search for it. I know it's out there but I always forget which is which. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by J.L View Post
    gr8 job !
    i'd go for it as soon as i get some cash !

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold View Post
    I believe so. And they're not actually "bulbs". No filaments. More like capsules.

You'd need to find out what headlights you have first before you can figure out the "bulb" you need to replace it. Search for it. I know it's out there but I always forget which is which. Good luck!

They are ZKW's. I've been searching my butt off. I find tons of references to them, but so far no specific model number or types. If a local store had them, I could take the dead one out and ask them to give me one just like it that worked, but so far I can't find any HID bulbs anyplace local.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    They are ZKW's. I've been searching my butt off. I find tons of references to them, but so far no specific model number or types. If a local store had them, I could take the dead one out and ask them to give me one just like it that worked, but so far I can't find any HID bulbs anyplace local.
    I dunno. Look harder. Once you find the type, just search eBay.

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 07 650XChlg
    Do those PNP kits from umnitza draw power from the battery?
    I'm guessing not.

Either way, how would someone go about doing it the correct way and like others said, not get expensive surprises later on. Great writeup, but I'd look into drawing the power from the source.

WTB: E36 ZKW Headlights, ACS Rear Diffuser,E36 M mudflaps front + rear

My Cars
    E46 328ci
    do you have problems of fogging up with the hole in the back

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by e36_m3_turbo View Post
    do you have problems of fogging up with the hole in the back
    You shouldn't since the hole in the back should be sealed.

My Cars
    95 E36 M3
    bringing this back from the dead..
    I replaced both low beam with 15 amp fuses. i realized that there are TWO fuses for the fog lights, but the OP recommended only replacing ONE fuse. Is there any explanation on this?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by brandobot View Post
    bringing this back from the dead..
    I replaced both low beam with 15 amp fuses. i realized that there are TWO fuses for the fog lights, but the OP recommended only replacing ONE fuse. Is there any explanation on this?
    There are TWO fuses for your fog lights? Which car do you have? According to post #2, I only have ONE fuse for my fog lights. Which I changed to 30 amps. I'm assuming if you have TWO, then change EACH fuse to 15 amps.

My Cars
    95 E36 M3
    i have a 95 M3. I remember reading the back cover and seeing there were 2 fuses, one where u circled, and one near the bottom right? Or maybe i'm reading the diagram wrong? It's number 15 then theres a comma, and another number. What does the second number refer to. I notice Low beams say 11,25 and 12,25

I've also have been reading that with newer HID kits, it wouldn't be neccessary to change the fuses because they only pull up to 6-7amps during initial startup, is that true? If that is true, is there a risk from running higher rated fuses when all that power isn't needed?
    Last edited by brandobot; 06-12-2009 at 04:31 PM.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by brandobot View Post
    i have a 95 M3. I remember reading the back cover and seeing there were 2 fuses, one where u circled, and one near the bottom right?

I've also have been reading that with newer HID kits, it wouldn't be neccessary to change the fuses because they only pull up to 6-7amps during initial startup, is that true? If that is true, is there a risk from running higher rated fuses when all that power isn't needed?
    Well, I made THREE circles in that diagram. If you're setting up FOG lights, then there should only be ONE fuse but it MAY be different for your vehicle.

The BEST way to test this is to just leave the fuses as they are. Turn on your HIDs. If the fuse blows, up the amperage. If they don't, you're good to go. That's actually how I learned to up my fuses.

And yes, it's best to run the least amount of amps as possible without blowing the fuses. If you can run your HIDs without changing the fuses, more power to you (and the HID company).

My Cars
    95 E36 M3
    seems like the stock fuses in my 95 m3 is holding up. if it blows, i guess i'll up it. thanks!

My Cars
    11' 135i/ RIP 99 E38
    Very good write up good job.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by OrientBlue740il View Post
    Very good write up good job.
    Thank you!

My Cars
    e30m52 325iT E30 E70X5
    This is old school!

nice!

Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold View Post
    Well, I made THREE circles in that diagram. If you're setting up FOG lights, then there should only be ONE fuse but it MAY be different for your vehicle.

The BEST way to test this is to just leave the fuses as they are. Turn on your HIDs. If the fuse blows, up the amperage. If they don't, you're good to go. That's actually how I learned to up my fuses.

And yes, it's best to run the least amount of amps as possible without blowing the fuses. If you can run your HIDs without changing the fuses, more power to you (and the HID company).
    That may be the problem I have with one of my lights. I ended up replacing the one that doesn't work with a standard H1 halogen bulb and when it didn't work either, I discovered the fuse was blown. So I plugged the HID back in with a new fuse. It tried to ignite for a moment, then popped the fuse. The standard fuse is 7.5 amps. So even though the passenger side HID may run fine on 7.5 amps, I may need a 10 amp or higher fuse for the drivers side HID?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    That may be the problem I have with one of my lights. I ended up replacing the one that doesn't work with a standard H1 halogen bulb and when it didn't work either, I discovered the fuse was blown. So I plugged the HID back in with a new fuse. It tried to ignite for a moment, then popped the fuse. The standard fuse is 7.5 amps. So even though the passenger side HID may run fine on 7.5 amps, I may need a 10 amp or higher fuse for the drivers side HID?
    Well, just to be on the safe side, I'd replace BOTH the fuses with 10 amp ones. Possibly even 15.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123