Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: My FM reception comes and goes; ideas?

My Cars
    BMW 328i, BMW 335i
    I've got a '96 328i with the H/K system. My FM radio usually doesn't work when I first turn the radio on. Sometimes, if I leave it on for a few minutes, the reception suddenly returns... although that's usually short-lived. And, when I do get reception, if I change stations, I lose reception completely.

Any ideas? Faulty radio? Faulty antenna amp? I have taken it to the dealer (warranty covered) 3 times now, and they still haven't fixed it... it's really pissing me off. I appreciate any ideas y'all might have. Oh, I should mention that when I am not getting FM reception, I just hear white noise. And, the AM reception is unaffected... works perfectly.
    '07 335i Arctic Silver 6MT
    '96 328i Jet Black slightly modded:

Supersprint exhaust : ECIS Intake : E34 M5 clutch : UUC Stage II LTW Flywheel : UUC Clutch Stop 2.0 (Big Boy) : UUC SSK w/ERK, Delrin and cartridge upgrades : Brembo rotors : Axxis Ultimates : Koni SA Shocks : Eibach Pro-Kit Springs : Ground Control RSMs : Ground Control Shims on stock RTABs : M3 Control Arms : M staggerred double-spoke II's : Michelin Pilots : ZKW Ellipsoids : 6000k HIDs : Alpine CDA-9833 : MB Quart Reference: Phoenix Gold Octane : JL 500.1 : JL w6v2 : Redline Fluids

If they checked it 3 times without anything done, I would have them replace the radio. Usually, the antenna plug behind the radio can come loose but if it goes out like that then it points to radio problems

Mike

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    Any idea what was causing this problem. My Factory HK system is acting up too with the FM reception only. What connection should be checked first?

My Cars
    BMW 328i, BMW 335i
    Audioman, you might want to check the connections on the rear of your deck and at the antenna amplifier, which is located in one of the C pillars (though, I forget which one). I think the Bentley manual shows which C pillar though.

The dealer did finally give me a new head unit, as the problem was sourced to something in the deck itself.
    '07 335i Arctic Silver 6MT
    '96 328i Jet Black slightly modded:

Supersprint exhaust : ECIS Intake : E34 M5 clutch : UUC Stage II LTW Flywheel : UUC Clutch Stop 2.0 (Big Boy) : UUC SSK w/ERK, Delrin and cartridge upgrades : Brembo rotors : Axxis Ultimates : Koni SA Shocks : Eibach Pro-Kit Springs : Ground Control RSMs : Ground Control Shims on stock RTABs : M3 Control Arms : M staggerred double-spoke II's : Michelin Pilots : ZKW Ellipsoids : 6000k HIDs : Alpine CDA-9833 : MB Quart Reference: Phoenix Gold Octane : JL 500.1 : JL w6v2 : Redline Fluids

My Cars
    BMW-Less
    VO, thanks for the reply. My first guess is that it is the head unit. So you are saying the new head unit solved the problem?

I am plan getting a new deck in the next month or so and I figured the FM chip in the HK head was just going out.