Thread: Speedometer not working

My Cars
    -

Speedometer not working

Well, I’m retarded. I was removing my instrument cluster and had it unplugged, but I forgot not to turn the ignition key while the cluster is removed. Upon installing and plugging the first blue harness I hear the door chime, I continued installing the black and clear harnesses and went for a test drive and to my amazement my speedometer is not working nor my fuel gauge (at least I know I have 90 miles left in the tank).

Before I bend over and head to the Stealer soon; Has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it? All of the other gauges work including the odometer, but it will not add miles since the speedometer is not working. I have also tried the cluster test and all of the needles move but the speedometer will still not work and there are no blown fuses.

My Cars
    -
    bump

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I have had my car on without the cluster in and mine still works fine. You should try disconnecting it again and reconnecting it.

My Cars
    -
    Thanks Kenx007, that did the trick. Sure saved me a lot of stress and money. I was trying to find a ride to the dealership and start troubleshooting with a pulse generator(speed sensor) then move on to the next possibility, but luckily I decided to mess with the cluster for a 5th time.

My Cars
    BMW 528i 1999
    i've just noticed this error on my car as well (528i-1999) Where is this "cluster" that i can try the same technique on my vehicle?

herpmebaby@gmail.com

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    Cluster is the "gauges" I believe there is three pulgs total.