Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shark in the Ocean (1985 BMW 635csi)

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Been m.i.a. but working on the car still. Did some matrix style headlight updates and also the fogs. Again, I knw some might not like this but its built for my taste. Also, got the Autostrada Modenas rebuilt and oh my did came out killer. Went with 17x10 and 17x12. Also did the stretch tire look. I also added some yellow tint on the fogs and fixed the rear spolier.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Close up details on the wheels. 17x10 and 17x12 with 3.5 lip up front and 5 inch in the rear.

My Cars
    1987 635csi
    Those wheels are stunning.

However your fitment is way off for running that amount of stretch on the back.

You need to be lower. Stretching tyres isn't a look it's a necessity. Your tyre is no where near your arch so just looks weird.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Can someone be so kind to explain the tire stretch concept?

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    There is no explanation for it. It's unsafe, foolish, and it looks like something a 16-year old high school kid would do on his first beater Ciivic. E24 rescue squad needs to be notified before it's too late for that poor 635.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
    '87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    87 635CSi, 88 635CSi,
    Remembering when I was 18 ...71 Mach1 with shackles on the rear, Monroe air shocks (adj rear height with valve stem under the bumper) too tall polyglas tires on cragar mags. Should've known better but that's what younger guys do. Those first chrome wheel pics remind me of gold teeth (grille)!

Tony, I'm very interested to see what you do with the rear speaker covers, I see they're stripped to bare metal. Please post a thread with pics when you get there.
    Bill

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by slofut View Post
    Remembering when I was 18 ...71 Mach1 with shackles on the rear, Monroe air shocks (adj rear height with valve stem under the bumper) too tall polyglas tires on cragar mags. Should've known better but that's what younger guys do. Those first chrome wheel pics remind me of gold teeth (grille)!

Tony, I'm very interested to see what you do with the rear speaker covers, I see they're stripped to bare metal. Please post a thread with pics when you get there.
    Bill
    Bill, I actually have the covers for the speakers. I was just going to do some light sanding on the metal and glue them back on. As for the first chrome wheels..the idea was to paint them white and also paint my Shark grey and give it a shark theme look but I was going over my head.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Easy fellas, I will be going wider on the rears. I went with Achilles ATR Sports but they only made up to 255/40/17. I will be going with 275/40 in the rears. The fronts are gna stay but will prob switch to Toyo since Achilles don't make the 275/40 sizes. I did contact them to see if they can special make these size so I'm just waiting for their response. In the meantime moar pics...

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Fugly... Sorry.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Fugly... Sorry.
    Tom, you can't comment something like that and then apologize....lol. Thanks for the comment. Stay basic!

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shark View Post
    Tom, you can't comment something like that and then apologize....lol. Thanks for the comment. Stay basic!
    Yeah, but....I felt bad about it.

My Cars
    635CSi / VT750
    I think it looks amazing. I first saw this in another thread and, I dunno, something about this car and what's come together works for me. It's a menacing looking beast. I've never seen headlights & fogs set up like that before - clearly they're aftermarket - but I think they really add to how imposing and badass this thing looks. I did not realise how much stretch there was on those tyres until I saw the rear end & service station shots above... yeah, maybe too much, but the actual wheels themselves are incredible.

This car's Filthy

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Quote Originally Posted by amibuggnu View Post
    I think it looks amazing. I first saw this in another thread and, I dunno, something about this car and what's come together works for me. It's a menacing looking beast. I've never seen headlights & fogs set up like that before - clearly they're aftermarket - but I think they really add to how imposing and badass this thing looks.
    You wouldn't like those lights so much if you were in another car driving in the opposite direction toward them. Nothing but glare, and no horizontal cutoff on the low beams. An accident waiting to happen.
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by dcains View Post
    You wouldn't like those lights so much if you were in another car driving in the opposite direction toward them. Nothing but glare, and no horizontal cutoff on the low beams. An accident waiting to happen.
    These headlights have high and low beam so the opposite car driving would be just fine but you knw your headlights very well.

My Cars
    87 635CSi, 88 635CSi,
    Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Yeah, but....I felt bad about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, what bulbs did you use in the yellow blinker lights? Led's? link? Do they trigger the obc bulb trouble indicator?
    Last edited by slofut; 05-01-2017 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shark View Post
    These headlights have high and low beam so the opposite car driving would be just fine but you knw your headlights very well.
    I'd love to see an image of the lows (and maybe fogs, too) projected on a flat wall, such as you used for aiming them. Without any sort of focused lens over that array of LED's, it's hard to imagine how the manufacturer engineered them to have a horizontal cutoff. The only aftermarket LED headlamps I've seen that are suitable for public roads are made by JW Speaker, although the market is now full of knock-offs:

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/c...es/headlights/
    Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Quote Originally Posted by slofut View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, what bulbs did you use in the yellow blinker lights? Led's? link? Do they trigger the obc bulb trouble indicator?
    There are a number of LED "bulbs" you can use in the signal/parking light, but you'll need an electronic flasher, and you will see an error on the check panel. I've replaced all the bulbs in my car (barring the H1 headlights) with LED's, and the trade-off is well worth it. Here's just one example of a dual-filament LED you'd use up front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUYED-2-x-80.../112292366422?

All the bulbs in the rear are single-filament, so you'd use these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUYED-2-x-90.../112295330237?

Finally, for the interior, hood, trunk, license plate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-Bright-White-8SMD-5050-LED-Festoon-38mm-39mm-Interior-Dome-Map-Light-Bulbs-US-/282173225806?

Dean
    Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
    '92 Spider Veloce
    '08 350Z

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Pic overload.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12