Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Current pricing on 850CSi

My Cars
    1995 BMW 850CSi

Current pricing on 850CSi

Just wondering if someone can shed some light on the current market values and trends for a well sorted 850CSi. Thanks.
    1995 BMW 850 CSi Black/black #209
    2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello Argento/black
    2004 Ferrari 360 Spider 6 speed gate shifter Argento/black
    2011 Audi R8 V10 6 speed manual Ice Metallic Silver/black

"Life is no dress rehearsal. Live everyday like its your last."

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG850CSi View Post
    Just wondering if someone can shed some light on the current market values and trends for a well sorted 850CSi. Thanks.
    Depends quite a bit on mileage, condition and records. I would like to think a very well sorted and low mileage CSI could pull between 50-60K on a good day without issue.

A more reasonable and driven car might be in the ballpark of 30-40K.

I am not a CSI owner, so my words may not be taken as gospel, but I have been following the prices of the E31 in general and in my opinion, the CSI has certainly had a small bump in pricing in the last 3-4 years on the more pristine examples. The rest of the 8 market has pretty much stayed where it has always been.
    Last edited by toomanyparts; 10-06-2015 at 02:38 PM.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Define "well sorted"

This one, with 34k miles, just sold last month for $68,500:
    http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-850csi-2/

The problem here is:
    1. Collectors do what collectors do; namely they value only low mileage examples for the obvious purpose of hiding them away until they are worth more.
    2. Enthusiasts who like them, do all sorts of improvements to make that mid-ninetees GT run just a little bit better than factory, provide a little more comfort and style.
    3. Buyers who don't know the difference between an 850i, 850Ci, 850CSi are expecting CSi's to be on par with all the non-CSis on eBay.
    4. There's not yet been a large surge of recognition of the value of the CSi family as a true low production, numbered vehicle, on the part of the collector community.
    5. People in general love what they see no matter what the E31 model version, but are automatically turned off by Internet rumor and false information about two engines, 'twice the maintenance cost' and all sorts of other rubbish on the part of folks who truly have no experience with these cars.

Ask me how I know... :-)

So that being said, I'm with toomanyparts and agree that one of 'value' no matter how the buyer looks at it, should sell between $50-60K with relative ease. One that's not been taken care of, might need $5k in fixing, has no documentation... should be in the $30-45k range.

Which story does YOURs tell?
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    1995 BMW 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorpatterson View Post
    Define "well sorted"

This one, with 34k miles, just sold last month for $68,500:
    http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-850csi-2/

The problem here is:
    1. Collectors do what collectors do; namely they value only low mileage examples for the obvious purpose of hiding them away until they are worth more.
    2. Enthusiasts who like them, do all sorts of improvements to make that mid-ninetees GT run just a little bit better than factory, provide a little more comfort and style.
    3. Buyers who don't know the difference between an 850i, 850Ci, 850CSi are expecting CSi's to be on par with all the non-CSis on eBay.
    4. There's not yet been a large surge of recognition of the value of the CSi family as a true low production, numbered vehicle, on the part of the collector community.
    5. People in general love what they see no matter what the E31 model version, but are automatically turned off by Internet rumor and false information about two engines, 'twice the maintenance cost' and all sorts of other rubbish on the part of folks who truly have no experience with these cars.

So that being said, I'm with toomanyparts and agree that one of 'value' no matter how the buyer looks at it, should sell between $50-60K with relative ease. One that's not been taken care of, might need $5k in fixing, has no documentation... should be in the $30-45k range.

Which story does YOURs tell?
    Thank you. The reason I was asking is that I have an opportunity to purchase another CSi and the one I'm looking at is a one owner 30K mile car.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Great question. Here is my "opinion" from what I have observed in several markets.

CSi values took a dip several years ago, as did all cars, but seem to be on the rebound. Prices have reflected this in Europe, Japan, and here in the US. I would expect to pay somewhere in the 50-60K range, and maybe even a little more for an outstanding example. I have known of several such cars which have sold between 50 - 65K USD. Several years ago prices for "average" CSi's dipped into the 30's USD, but seem to have rebounded into the 40 USD range for average cars.

In Japan, there was the 840 Individual series that they had. Their prices went down to low/mid teens. Now, the same cars are consistently over and in the mid 20K USD range.

Alpina cars have jumped in price - both the 5.0 and 5.7 cars -in the past few years. Recently there was a 5.7 advertised for around 225K Euro, that people thought was crazy. But, I have been told by a reliable source that more than one 5.7 owner has turned down offers over 150K Euro for their cars, stating that if they sold it, they would not be able to replace them.

Having said all this, it really ends up what the seller will part with a car for, and how much a buyer is willing to spend....
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    TAG850CSi,

Are you referring to THIS one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321867697352...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    1995 BMW 850CSi
    TAG850CSi,

Are you referring to THIS one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/321867697352...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    No its not that one. Its a private seller, not listed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Great question. Here is my "opinion" from what I have observed in several markets.

CSi values took a dip several years ago, as did all cars, but seem to be on the rebound. Prices have reflected this in Europe, Japan, and here in the US. I would expect to pay somewhere in the 50-60K range, and maybe even a little more for an outstanding example. I have known of several such cars which have sold between 50 - 65K USD. Several years ago prices for "average" CSi's dipped into the 30's USD, but seem to have rebounded into the 40 USD range for average cars.

In Japan, there was the 840 Individual series that they had. Their prices went down to low/mid teens. Now, the same cars are consistently over and in the mid 20K USD range.

Alpina cars have jumped in price - both the 5.0 and 5.7 cars -in the past few years. Recently there was a 5.7 advertised for around 225K Euro, that people thought was crazy. But, I have been told by a reliable source that more than one 5.7 owner has turned down offers over 150K Euro for their cars, stating that if they sold it, they would not be able to replace them.

Having said all this, it really ends up what the seller will part with a car for, and how much a buyer is willing to spend....
    Thanks Roger. On a side note I believe I used to own a Euro version CSi that you previously owned. I bought it from an aftermarket BMW dealer in the Midwest. Have since sold it but do have the U.S. version which IMO is a pristine black/black example. Can't seem to get these 8 series cars out of my mind. I've owned six of them (2 CSi's). Hence the question about market prices as I'm looking to acquire another one. I'm in the 12 step program for this addiction but its not working.

My Cars
    not enough
    What's the color combo of the CSi you're looking into?
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    1995 BMW 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    What's the color combo of the CSi you're looking into?
    Silver with two tone gray interior.

My Cars
    not enough
    Silver with two tone gray interior.
    Oooo....interesting. Don't have a silver/gray one in my tracking sheet. I have a silver/black. Hope you go for it!
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    '01 740iL, '95 840Ci

People in general love what they see no matter what the E31 model version, but are automatically turned off by Internet rumor and false information about two engines, 'twice the maintenance cost' and all sorts of other rubbish on the part of folks who truly have no experience with these cars.

I need to put this on a t-shirt and walk around the next bimmer or car meet I attend and just laugh at people.

My Cars
    850 CSI
    I own two of these (eu specs) and in Europe 100k Miles Well maintained and ORIGINAL .... Euro 60-65k and selling !
    Mint low milage (20-50k Miles) euro 80-100k (seen at least 5 last months and ALL sold).
    individual editions.... Special leather combi and/or wood is highly recommended.
    Bad cars or non runners: 35k-40k euro.
    So a bit more over here...

Prices for original Well maintained cars schooting up .......so if you find one..... Buy it !

Eu spec CSI's are worth more i believe...... Has AHK and extra oil and diff cooler.... But not sure if these can be imported and road legal in your country ?
    BMW 850 CSI march 1994 (EU spec), SOLD. https://www.classiccars-forsale.com/...94-bmw-850csi/
    BMW 850 CSI november 1994 (EU spec)

My Cars
    2 x 850csi , E93 320ia
    Have also followed the prices for some years now and it seems clear that they are moving and cars actually are selling now at high prices.
    Also seeing less cars than before for sale.
    lowest priced Euro CSI is Eur 30K and highest being advertised is Eur 81k on Mobile.de covering the whole of Europa.

That said I did buy a cheap CSi three years ago , but having spent 700 - 800 hours on it and about Eur 13k in parts so far , this link is telling much of the story http://bmwccn.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=6954 in Norwegian but many pix to see

Also as several of us need at least two CSi's that must also be pressing prices :-)

CC00268
    CC00870

Regards
    Terje

My Cars
    850 CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by huldra66 View Post
    Have also followed the prices for some years now and it seems clear that they are moving and cars actually are selling now at high prices.
    Also seeing less cars than before for sale.
    lowest priced Euro CSI is Eur 30K and highest being advertised is Eur 81k on Mobile.de covering the whole of Europa.

That said I did buy a cheap CSi three years ago , but having spent 700 - 800 hours on it and about Eur 13k in parts so far , this link is telling much of the story http://bmwccn.no/forum/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=6954 in Norwegian but many pix to see

Also as several of us need at least two CSi's that must also be pressing prices :-)

CC00268
    CC00870

Regards
    Terje
    haha.... Another one with two CSI's. I liked the post about your red one.... Lots of detailed pictures (like new now).
    BMW 850 CSI march 1994 (EU spec), SOLD. https://www.classiccars-forsale.com/...94-bmw-850csi/

My Cars
    2 x 850csi , E93 320ia
    Quote Originally Posted by clubE31 View Post
    haha.... Another one with two CSI's. I liked the post about your red one.... Lots of detailed pictures (like new now).
    I have used more than two years now on the red one , another cold winter here in Norway and she will be ready for the road again.
    This link will also tell a story about hove a outside descent looking car can be underneath, so buying such a car you need to closely look at all details
    I did know the state of the car and so did the seller that's why it was sold for a relatively low price.

Regards
    Terje

My Cars
    94 BMW 850csi Individual
    interesting that in the last year there have been a couple of articles mentioning pricing of 8 series cars. Both listed the CSi's valued in the $25k range. Now if they could have only backed that up with a list of cars for that price......
    Placitas, NM
    '94 850CSi Individual #37
    '11 B7 Alpina
    14 BMW X6 xdrive 50i
    '88 MB 560sl
    '91 Porsche 928 S4
    '14 Toyota Tundra

My Cars
    1995 BMW 850CSI
    I have #210 and would consider feeding your addiction with my pristine 1995 Silver/2-tone Gray 850CSI. Steve

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    Interesting reading on recent sales here-

http://bringatrailer.com/search/?s=bmw+850
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    This one currently advertised in Romania could be the highest asking price we've seen for a Csi, at $US100k.
    Apart from the unrealistic price, the ad contains a sketchy and somewhat inaccurate description - e.g. there is no such thing as a 1990 850Csi.
    Mileage is not stated.
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C780451

- - - Updated - - -

This two-owner, ECE LHD CSi for sale in the UK is similarly priced at $US95k, which may be justified considering its low mileage of 30k miles.
    Colour is most likely Sterlingsilber (given that it's a 1993 car), and yet another example with standard comfort seats.
    http://www.graemehunt.com/motorcar/3...ly-under-offer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    A couple months back Cosmo Motors in Hickory, NC was selling a black 1994 850CSi with mileage in the 28K range. I called to inquire about the car when I was in the market and if I remember correctly their price was $104K. Well needless to say that made for a rather short conversation with the dealer.

I am not sure what it ended up selling for, but it wasn't on their website for very long. Someone got a beautiful car, but I doubt they will enjoy it much at that price. Every mile they add will drive down its value.

This car was featured in a recent YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf7ulPp_o9c

Personally I would love to see the CSi's command this type of money. It will only help drive up the value of the really great remaining 850i/850ci examples (as well as their 840 brethren). Just look at the prices of the MB 190SL's from the late 50's and early 60's. Those things used to be $30K to $40K all day long. Now really pristine examples are selling for $150K+ mainly because their big brother 300SL (Gullwings and convertibles) are in the 7 figure range.

Sean

My Cars
    (5) 850Ci, E9,SL65,911S
    With BMWs most of the vintage cars are like a bastard step child compared to Porsches, MBZs, Ferraris etc.

There are definitely BMW exceptions like 507s,M1, 2002 Turbos etc. But the cars like 3,0CS and our E31s still lag waaay behind in value compared to their period competition!

I hate being the one to admit this because I have collected all of them! Porsches,MBZs,Ferraris etc. Including several E9s and also several E31s. My Porsches 1971-1973 911s, My MBZ 280SL-560SL, My Ferrari 246GTS Dino Spyder have all tripled (or more) in value during this crazy collector car market that has surged during the past 5-8 years and that might have peaked in 2016?

But my BMWs have only increased moderately during this period... This does not make sense to me and I do not understand why?? THe BMWs are very similar in performance, beauty, limited production numbers etc. but they still lag??

My Cars
    BMWs:74 3.0 CS, 97 840Ci
    Well, this is an 840, not an 850, but it is probably one of the last cars that came into the US, with a build date of 5/97. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192074474489...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Looks to be in very nice condition, only 31K miles. And, the car has only been in Nevada, S Dakota and western Nebraska - all arid climates (PS shows my error - 1 1/2 years in the NYC area)..

The price is interesting to me, as I just bought a nearly exact copy '97 (all except interior color and mileage, which are silver grey and 58K on mine, but it also has the OE telephone installed, and was 2 owner) for essentially half the price. There are a few small things to do to mine to 'show' as nicely, but only about $3-500 in parts to do it. It will be interesting to see what this one actually sells for (slow market period of the year).

Gary--

PS: Big OOOPS - I see I missed the last year and a half of it's 20 year existence with ownership in the NYC area. Sorry about that.

Assuming the serial numbers are consecutive, this car was 621 units down the assembly line (at least for US distribution) than the one I bought. Almost exactly 1 year apart. The car is now in a northern suburb of Philadelphia.
    Last edited by Gary Knox; 01-11-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: accuracy and clarification
    Gary Knox

'97 BMW 840 Ci
    '03 MB SL55 AMG
    '07 Mini Cooper S hatchback
    '09 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
    '13 Audi A8
    '90 MB 560 SEC and '94 Porsche 928 GTS recently departed but long enjoyed
    50 or so others over the past 70 years of driving

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Knox View Post
    Well, this is an 840, not an 850, but it is probably one of the last cars that came into the US, with a build date of 5/97. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192074474489...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Looks to be in very nice condition, only 31K miles. And, the car has only been in Nevada, S Dakota and western Nebraska - all arid climates.

The price is interesting to me, as I just bought a nearly exact copy '97 (all except interior color and mileage, which are silver grey and 58K on mine, but it also has the OE telephone installed, and was 2 owner) for exactly half the price. There are a few small things to do to mine to 'show' as nicely, but only about $3-500 in parts to do it. It will be interesting to see what it brings.

Gary--
    Nice looking 840Ci Gary, and would be a sweet ride for someone looking for a pristine, original example.
    By the look of the service records, it has spent at least some time on the east coast (Manhattan) and the ad actually states that it spent "most of its life in southern states". The fact that it was "garage kept" is mentioned twice.
    Is it just me, or is the selling dealer's description a little vague or generic?
    Either way, it's certainly the first time I've heard of an 8-series coupe advertised as a "luxury sedan".
    And as a Calypsorot model, it is far from being "truly unique" - there were a total of 35 EF83's produced in that colour for the NA market.
    In fairness though, it may be the cleanest and lowest mileage US example around, which begs the question as to whether or not the $30k price tag can be justified.
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

My Cars
    850 CSI
    850 CSI: 129.900 euro......and a few thousand km (around 3.000 km). Already sold..... new record I guess (car was for sale in november last year in the Netherlands).

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by clubE31 View Post
    850 CSI: 129.900 euro......and a few thousand km (around 3.000 km). Already sold..... new record I guess (car was for sale in november last year in the Netherlands).
    That would certainly be the highest price yet for a CSi - equivalent to $USD137k!
    And with that low mileage, it's probably the closest thing you can get nowadays to driving a brand-new 850CSi.

Do you have any details of car, links to the advert and/or record of the actual sale price?
    Current:

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast