Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Touring LSX/T56 swap

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post

It will surely be seeing BimmerFest this year. Do you venture to that event?
    Not since they moved it to NJ and kept it around the hottest time of the year.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by TFlops View Post
    This is all such amazing work, man! Really nice build.

Would you be sharing how you did this in your new thread too? I've always wanted to know how this could be done.
    I will going into more depth in my new thread, but basically, the cars got an e36/e46 front suspension and steering now. We built a custom subframe and lollipop mounts to bring all of it together.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Not since they moved it to NJ and kept it around the hottest time of the year.
    I hear ya there. I installed A/C in this car for bimmerfest one year bc of the heat. No A/C in this one just yet.
    -Alex

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Wow. LS swap? Ok, cool. Steering rack? Way cool and unambiguously an improvement. Custom suspension? Ok, but... it actually works well? That's the amazing part. You've basically done the work of an entire team of dedicated automotive engineers on one of the most important and fussy parts of a car. Yeah, you used existing parts, but those are from cars with different geometry, weights, aso. Either you knew what you're doing and had the time and other resources to see it through, calculating roll axes and whatnot... or you just slapped it in and got real lucky Either way, I'm impressed. And I want a drive someday.

Will you do an E36/E46 rear suspension next? I think E34 fronts are better sorted than the rears.
    Last edited by moroza; 02-03-2016 at 05:40 PM.

My Cars
    e34, e30 x2, Unimog
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Wow. LS swap? Ok, cool. Steering rack? Way cool and unambiguously an improvement. Custom suspension? Ok, but... it actually works well? That's the amazing part. You've basically done the work of an entire team of dedicated automotive engineers on one of the most important and fussy parts of a car. Yeah, you used existing parts, but those are from cars with different geometry, weights, aso. Either you knew what you're doing and had the time and other resources to see it through, calculating roll axes and whatnot... or you just slapped it in and got real lucky Either way, I'm impressed. And I want a drive someday.

Will you do an E36/E46 rear suspension next? I think E34 fronts are better sorted than the rears.

Both Alex and I are mechanical engineers and have some serious time under the front end of this thing. I can assure you that it was not just slapped together.

Probably not, with camber and toe adjustment the e34 rear stuff can work well enough.

My Cars
    various
    Perhaps an stupid question here but I've always wondered about the feasibility of simply welding in an entire subframe assembly of an LS based car. Saves all the adaptive math, fab work and you get instant proper geometry. Of course track width would have to match and front spindles would be GM bolt pattern.

The engineer in me thinks why re-invent the wheels? (pun intended)

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit
    I really need to catchup with you. Expecially considering your an hour away from me. I'd love to see what you've done. I know that Mike has hinted at a solution to the R&P issues, but I had no idea you'd be adapting 3 series steering components. I've very intrigued. My two biggest complaints with my car is how sloppy the G260/5 feels compared to the modern ZF 6 speed in my E91 and the steering sloppiness.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook
    1989 535GTS-S5S, 2010 535xit M sport wagon

My Cars
    e34, e30 x2, Unimog
    Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    Perhaps an stupid question here but I've always wondered about the feasibility of simply welding in an entire subframe assembly of an LS based car. Saves all the adaptive math, fab work and you get instant proper geometry. Of course track width would have to match and front spindles would be GM bolt pattern.

The engineer in me thinks why re-invent the wheels? (pun intended)
    Honestly it would be more work for something that would end up fitting the car worse. Suspension geometry isn't super complicated flux capacitor maths, once you play with it for a bit it's relatively simple.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Dang, im glad photobucket fixed all the images for one!! Two, ive had the car on the road for over two years and its been awesome. Got into drifting a bunch more and have a blast doing it. Currently, the car is sitting in the driveway and has been for the past 6 months due to:
    1. Winter.
    2. Transmission issue
    3. Handbrake is broken.
    3. Im bored with it and need help becoming interested in the car again.

-The transmission rattles bad in neutral and get jammed in neutral sometimes. I suspect a bent shift fork, though i will be tearing it down to determine the cause.
    -It overheats, likely due to bad placement of the fan relay. I think it gets overheated and fails to trip the fan on. I believe the MS is doing what it is supposed to, but will need to verify. I also need to get a for real coolant overflow.
    -I broke the handbrake haha. The small trailer brake line i used did not survive. It popped the swage and drained all of the brake fluid out of the clutch res and into the carpet next to the console. I will be replacing the line with a braided one and likely adding a second fluid res.
    -The car just keeps getting uglier. Its three different colors and rust has started taking over the doors and the front rockers need attention. I have new doors for it, but the fronts are early doors that im not sure are going to work right, and the rears are sedan doors that i need to modify the window frames for.

I am probably going to be gutting the car some more to get some weight out of it. I really want to ditch the sunroof due to that huge amount of weight being at the top of the car. Aluminum panel? Not exactly sure what im going to do there yet.

Ditch the passenger manual sport seat and stick another racing seat in it. Anyone in the market for decent black manual sport seats? I still have redfive's zender kit, but i am toying with unloading that as well.

Also thinking about unloaded the mille wheels (sorry Mike). They could use a polish but are in great shape. Anyone want them before i convert two back to being narrower?
    Last edited by AHenry014; 05-23-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    '89 535-GTS,'10 535xit
    It's 2 years later and we still need to meet up.
    Do you have matching manual sport seats?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook
    1989 535GTS-S5S, 2010 535xit M sport wagon

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Haha! We sure do. When the cars back on the road and semi presentable, we shall meet.

Yes, I have a front pair of matching black sport seats. The drivers in great with a little bolster wear. Passenger side, on the other hand, is very dry. The leather is a bit snug and pulled tight. Ive tried basic leather conditioners and they've helped a little but its been years since i've touched it/them. The seat bottom is split at the stitch. Otherwise its fine. Passenger side should be recovered to match the drivers side.
    -Alex

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    The leather is a bit snug and pulled tight. Ive tried basic leather conditioners and they've helped a little but its been years since i've touched it/them.
    Best bet is Leatherique. It will take multiple applications so pick up the larger containers. If you slather it on every couple days and let the car sit out in the sun, after 8 to 10 days they will be close new feeling. Two weeks max. The key is you have to let it soak in.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    ill keep that in mind, thanks. Working on cleaning up the garage to get the car in it. Going to get some snap traps in it to make sure i am not going to be adding a mice family to my garage. They infested the car last winter. Nest in the spare well and one got into the fan died when i turned the fan on. That was fun to clean up. Ive kept and eye on it and there has been no signs of intruders this year.
    -Alex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123