Thread: 2011 BMW X3 - Brake, ABS and 4x4 lights are all on after replacing DSC module

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i xDrive

2011 BMW X3 - Brake, ABS and 4x4 lights are all on after replacing DSC module

Hey guys,

I have BMW X3 28i Xdrive with 42K miles. Around 3 weeks ago I drove the car to another city 4 hours away and everything was fine. I went to a friends house and left the car parked for about 4-5 hours and when I got back into my car and started it, all the following lights came on: ABS, Brake and 4x4.

I took the car to the dealer and they said that my Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) module is internally damaged and needs to be replaced, then they gave me $4,500.00 bill for parts (DSC module & ABS pump) and labor.

I did a little research online and I found out that I can replace the DSC module with a used one. So i purchased one that came with a ABS pump attached to it from eBay that came from the exact same year, make and model BMW for $300 and gave the car to a local mechanic who works on European cars and he replaced it for me and he then tried to clear the code but he wasn't able to and all the lights were still on. I took the car to BMW dealership and had them reprogram the module but they weren't able to do that. They said that the new module is encoded with the VIN# from the previous vehicle and there is nothing they can do and it cannot be reprogrammed.

I tried finding a place to repair my original DSC module but I couldn't find any place that works on X3 DSC module. I tried modulemaster.com and myairbags.com but they dont repair 2011 X3 modules.

So i'm back to square 1 again and I don't know what to do at this point and this is really making me frustrated.
    Are there any other places that can repair modules that I can contact?
    Is there another way to reprogram the "new" module?
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to get rid of these damn lights?

Thank you guys. I really appreciate some good advice.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3 3.0
    The part u replaced is not the problem. Search YouTube for problem. It's a cheap fix if u can do it. Somewhat more if your mechanic does it

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh6HvYcn-HA

My Cars
    2007 X3 M
    I fixed the actuator gear and now 10k miles later same problem. The triad of lights and clicking noise. I did not use any lubricant or anything else, is that needed? This is on a 2007 x3 with 144k.

Any advise would be most welcome

My Cars
    E30, E36, E36, E39, E83
    Did you replace the gear? Or just reverse it?