Thread: Reset procedures after oil change

My Cars
    2001 530i

Reset procedures after oil change

Gents for some reason I misplaced the procedure for resetting my oil change interval in the cluster. The little bit that I remember I can only get my inspection light but not the oil change reset and my cabin temp went to Celcius. Can someone help me with the correct steps please. Thank you

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Try this:

BMW Oil Service reset for 2001 ~ current
    No needfor reset tool for 2001+ model by: Moko
    BMW insp.reset
    -Iginition OFF (POS 0)
    - Pressand Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)
    - Keep thebutton depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or"Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display
    - *Note:On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel(in litres) remaining until next service
    - Pressthe button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or"Re" flashes
    - Whilethe display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the ServiceInterval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "ENDSIA" for about 2 secs.
    Note thatif the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have notmet the minimum consumption level and cannot reset.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Thanks for sharing this very useful info edjack.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Thanks for responding. I have tried that but I am not getting the oil service reset function, I am only getting the inspection function and my cabin temp indication is in Ceicius now. What do I need to do for those issues. Thanks

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by froge1964 View Post
    Thanks for responding. I have tried that but I am not getting the oil service reset function, I am only getting the inspection function and my cabin temp indication is in Ceicius now. What do I need to do for those issues. Thanks
    Which of the lights illuminated in the SI display that moved you to reset the display...the INSPECTION or OIL SERV light?

If the INSPECTION light came on and you changed the oil...that is the light that needs to be reset...these 2 warning lights illuminated alternately.

To change the temp scale from Celsius to Fahrenheit...or vice versa:

1. press and hold the trip odometer (left) button
    2. insert key and turn ignition to position 1
    3. turn ignition back to off
    4. release trip odometer button

If you do the above, the next time you turn the ignition on...the temp scale will have changed...and if you pressed the button BEFORE turning the ignition on...and did NOT release the button until the ignition was back off...your trip odometer will stay as it was and not RESET. If you release the button...the the trip odometer will reset.

Here's the instructions edjack gave above but with a bit more information...ignore the discussion of resetting the brake fluid renewal...that feature isn't initiated on BMWs imported to the USA market. Take note that the instructions state that if you haven't consumed the correct amount of fuel for your model...resetting the light will not work:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-02-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Any update?
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    You guys are exceptional !!!!!!! Thank you

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Or... jump pins 7 & 19 in the diagnostic port with a paper clip.
    Turn ignition to "ON" (not Start) for 5-10 seconds. (5-10 seconds for OIL SERVICE...10-15 seconds for INSPECTION)
    Remove paper clip.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
    Or... jump pins 7 & 19 in the diagnostic port with a paper clip.
    Turn ignition to "ON" (not Start) for 5-10 seconds. (5-10 seconds for OIL SERVICE...10-15 seconds for INSPECTION)
    Remove paper clip.
    Just so that everyone is on the same page...the instructions in the quote above only applies to the e39s with build dates prior to 9/00 build date. If you don't have the 20 pin DLC in the engine bay...then you can use the instrument cluster reset instructions posted earlier in the thread. Or, if you received a "goodwill" instrument cluster replacement from BMW...you may want to give it a shot. I got lucky and my 97 e38 740iL got a new goodwill cluster from BMW back around 2003/2004 that allows me to reset the SI display from the instrument cluster buttons.

Starting with the 2001 model year...the 20-pin DLC in the engine bay was discontinued...except for the e38 & Z3...and all diagnostic equipment is hooked up to the DLC inside the cabin.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Didn't realize that. Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 328i convertible
    tried the push and hold procedure to reset the oil change Inspection...

All I get when I hold down the trip button on the odometer is the word "Test" and when I release and push the button again is "01" through "09" and none of them do anything to reset the Inspection. What am I doing wrong/what else do I do from here/