Unusual E34 versions

Thread: Unusual E34 versions

Tags:

BMWM5E34 said:

Unusual E34 versions

As many of you already know, the 5 Series E34 was used as a taxi, as a police vehicle as well as a mechanical assistant mobile unit.
    Besides that, there have been some very unusual prototypes such as an M5 convertible or even a hybrid version.

The purprose of this thread is to share as many information and pictures of these unusual E34 models as we can.

Let's commence!

1. BMW Servicemobil mechanical assistant vehicle.
    This car was used by BMW dealers to provide road assistance to their clients. As you can see it is equiped with all kinds of useful tools.
    As far as I know they were usually 520i and 525i with automatic transmissions and very basic levels of equipment.

2. BMW E34 Hybrid.
    There's very little information abour this particular car, but as you can see this prototype uses hybrid technology powering the car with both an internal combustion engine and an electric motor.
    Judging by the exhaust pipe I'd say it is a 520i.

3. Police car version. In Germany many police units used the E34 5 Series as their service vehicle.
    I saw one of those for sale in mobile.de years ago and saved the pictures, but unfortunately I cannot find them. It was a 520iA with very interesting options.

4. Taxi version. I know it was used as a taxi in Germany. There's even an special equipment package for the taxi version in RealOEM.

5. BMW 530iX Enduro Touring. In 1993 BMW presented to the public this rather unique prototype based on the BMW 525iX. Increasing the displacement of the M50B25 up to 3 litres it managed to produce 246hp and 316Nm of torque.
    It was meant to be an off road SUV for sports lovers.

6. BMW 518g Touring. Special version of the 518i Touring designed to work with LPG.

7. BMW M5 E34 Convertible. The name says it all. What a beauty! There is only one unit built of this prototype.

8. E34 Art Cars.

This is all for now. Feel free to point out any mistakes or to share additional information, models and pictures.
    I will add the extra models/info/pics to this post.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by BMWM5E34; 10-01-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    There's no replacement for displacement.

S61Dan said:
    I forgot about the Enduro Touring. So sick.
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

3. Redfive said:
    Wow, I've never heard of the hybrid E34 before. I've seen the rest, but never the hybrid. Cool find.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook
    1989 535GTS-S5S, 2010 535xit M sport wagon

4. Binjammin said:
    Are we doing this again?

That hybrid is new to me too, I wonder if it's a 518. Pretty sure the enduro touring was a Tour de France support vehicle.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

BleedsBlue said:
    I always love the BMW collection pictures, you can find so many gems in the background. I spy E46 M3 AND E39 M5 tourings.

Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Are we doing this again?

That hybrid is new to me too, I wonder if it's a 518. Pretty sure the enduro touring was a Tour de France support vehicle.
    FWIW, the picture of the Servicemobil with the tools laid out is how I imagine you show up to fix things.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

BMWM5E34 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
    Wow, I've never heard of the hybrid E34 before. I've seen the rest, but never the hybrid. Cool find.
    Sadly I haven't been able to find more about the hybrid yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Are we doing this again?

Either a 518i or a 520i.

Probably they used it for that, but the car was meant to be a sort of fancy SUV.
    It even had a tent for camping:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I always love the BMW collection pictures, you can find so many gems in the background. I spy E46 M3 AND E39 M5 tourings.
    That's right. Good eye!

I'd love to visit that place someday.

mboor said:
    I want those enduro seats.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

8. Redfive said:
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWM5E34 View Post
    Sadly I haven't been able to find more about the hybrid yet.

Either a 518i or a 520i.
    Strange because you'd think they would tout that they've been working on hybrid cars for nearly 30 years when they debuted the I division.

2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, & 2020 One Lap of America Race Team Follow Redfive Racing on Facebook

9. Redfive said:
    Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    I want those enduro seats.
    The Alpina seats are very similar. I'd be happy with either.

10. 762Armo said:
    #5 Drivers seat. I want it.

11. Steve547i said:
    I believe that tent was for the crew to be able to repair bikes out in the elements.

91e34M5 said:
    The State of Tennessee had 2 or 3 of the M5 police cars around 1992. They were used as demo/educational vehicles by the Tennessee Highway Patrol and we're never used for actual patrol. They were fully police prepared and painted with TN Highway Patrol colors and paint scheme. I got to see one at an in-service training that I was attending. When the word got out regarding how much they cost, they were quickly taken out of service and returned to BMW....even though they were basically on loan/lease to the State at minimal cost. I have been unable to find any photos of these vehicles but I specifically recall they had turbine wheels. Kicking myself now for not taking photos.
    Edit....found a photo:
    Last edited by 91e34M5; 09-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

BleedsBlue said:
    Quote Originally Posted by 91e34M5 View Post
    Quoted to multiply the awesomeness.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

14. Ley3198 said:
    Does anyone know why some E34 models came with gold trim? (kidneys, badges). I have only seen a couple of them. Was there a special package or something?

BMWM5E34 said:
    That police M5 is awesome! Thanks for sharing, 91e34M5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ley3198 View Post
    Does anyone know why some E34 models came with gold trim? (kidneys, badges). I have only seen a couple of them. Was there a special package or something?
    I've never seen one of those. I know Lexus did that in the US.

16. struka said:
    Interesting about the TN State Trooper.

17. FSReric said:
    How about the Olympic edition e34s? I believe all 500 of them were 95 525i painted oxford/parchment?

18. t.wak said:
    Taxi package radio location:
    2. DIN-Einbauplatz.jpg

19. Sankekur said:
    The South African police also had a couple of 525i's for the highway patrol.

There was also this awful looking African theme art car:

BMWM5E34 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by t.wak View Post
    Taxi package radio location:
    2. DIN-Einbauplatz.jpg
    That's awesome. I'd love to see all the details from the taxi version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankekur View Post
    The South African police also had a couple of 525i's for the highway patrol.

There was also this awful looking African theme art car:
    Lucky South African cops! Most European police cars are nasty little hatchbacks with diesel engines.

I hate the art cars, but they're a good addition to the list.

E28E34 said:

Apparently this is a South Carolina State Trooper. Appears to be a 540i based on the wheels and wider grille - the squared off seats and headrests indicate it's likely a 540/6. Great thread and photos by the way!

The ultimate book for seeing unusual factory E12, E28 and E34 models. Picked this up at BMW AG.
    Last edited by E28E34; 10-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.