Thread: Misfire fault code on all six cylinders

My Cars
    07 328i, 79 930, 99 R1100S

Misfire fault code on all six cylinders

I've got a 99 323i that stumbles and acts like it's going to stall at idle when the A/C is on. I checked the fault codes and got a misfire code for all 6 cylinders. I found where someone on another board had a similar problem and the dealer replaced the A/C compressor to fix it. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem before I start replacing parts.
    -David
    07 328i (premium, sport, xenon, cold, ca, 6 MT)
    79 930

My Cars
    More info: After clearing the fault codes, my wife drove the car for several days without running the A/C. I check for fault codes and found none. I just drove the car with the A/C on and now there are the same 6 misfire fault codes.

I went by the dealer and asked them about the problem, they said it was probably the coils. So I asked what are the odds of all six coils going out at the same time, they said it happens. Sounds to me like they're clueless.
    -David
    79 930

My Cars
    Dillon 650 w/casefeeder
    Quote Originally Posted by shifterkart33
    More info: After clearing the fault codes, my wife drove the car for several days without running the A/C. I check for fault codes and found none. I just drove the car with the A/C on and now there are the same 6 misfire fault codes.

I went by the dealer and asked them about the problem, they said it was probably the coils. So I asked what are the odds of all six coils going out at the same time, they said it happens. Sounds to me like they're clueless.

Just happenned to me 2 months ago.... I felt a misfire on at least 2 cylinders. I Pulled out the coils and replaced them all with new ones. My Ac compressor was replaced at 47k. My car has 88k and 2 ignition coils gave in at 86k.

My Cars
    '72 911S, '01 Z3
    Are they hard to replace? Is there a DIY around?

My Cars
    I still don't think it's the coils. What are the odds of all 6 coils going out at the same time? If they are all bad, something would have caused them to go bad.

I don't mind changing the coils or A/C compressor but I'm not going to start replacing things until I find the problem so I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to let them sort it out.
    -David
    79 930

My Cars
    Dillon 650 w/casefeeder
    I still don't think it's the coils. What are the odds of all 6 coils going out at the same time?
    It happens, I wouldn't say all six, but maybe at least 1-3 of them have failed. Stock Bimmer coils are not meant to go on forever. My mechanic told me most have a life expectancy of 100k.

My Cars
    I'm sure they wear out, it's the all six issue that gets me. Even if all six are bad, something else had to cause them to go at one time. BTW, the car has 57,000 miles.
    -David
    79 930

My Cars
    I took it to the dealer, they said it was the A/C compressor. They said it could use a new dryer also. $1500, ouch.
    -David
    79 930

My Cars
    99 E46 328i
    My friend's 528i recently had misfires on all 6 cylinders, faulty, o2 sensors,
    bad fuel trim codes. Eventually we found a vacuum leak. The bellows tube
    from the TB tube to the idle air control had started to crack and progressively
    got worse. It finally got to the point where we could see it (crack started at
    the bottomside). Runs great now.
    -Mikael, pronounced like "nickel" with an "M"
    1999 Schwarz E46 328i

My Cars
    bimmuh
    I took it to the dealer, they said it was the A/C compressor. They said it could use a new dryer also. $1500, ouch.
    if you didn't get it fixed yet you should take it to a private BMW or european car mechanic.. it'll cost about half that...
    Don't like my driving? Get off the sidewalk!

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    A 330 came into my buds shop the other day while i was there with the same fault codes. the problem was. The ac compressor started to vibrate-disrupting the knock sensor-leaning/richening out the mixture cant remember which. = causing the misfire code on all six. I personally wouldn't even drive the car like this because of the harsh a/f. reset your adaption and do not turn the ac on until this problem is fixed

My Cars
    I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the compressor and the drier, the problem seems to be fixed.
    -David
    79 930

My Cars
    99 323i
    I got a horrible misfire that makes it impossible to drive my car. A 99 323i, I replaced 6 ignition coils, 2 O2 sensors, a fuel filter and 6 spark plugs, I also replaced a vacuum line to the manifold that was a recall. I still cant get this car to run right, Fuel pressure is around 55-60psi anyone have a clue to what else it could be? Also, if I remove my oil cap at idle, there is a strange groaning noise!?!?! Someone help please

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    what sparks plugs are you running and are they gapped properly?
    what modifications do you have to the car? This COULD be a hose from/going to the manifold

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Willsbma
    I got a horrible misfire that makes it impossible to drive my car. A 99 323i, I replaced 6 ignition coils, 2 O2 sensors, a fuel filter and 6 spark plugs, I also replaced a vacuum line to the manifold that was a recall. I still cant get this car to run right, Fuel pressure is around 55-60psi anyone have a clue to what else it could be? Also, if I remove my oil cap at idle, there is a strange groaning noise!?!?! Someone help please
    How many miles on the car?
    Has anyone checked crankcase pressure to see if you have a failing CCV?
    Has the car been checked for an intake leak?
    Are you using an oiled air filter? If so the MAF could be contaminated and not indicating the correct air flow.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    How about the AC compressor?
    -David
    79 930