Thread: Automatic Transmission problem, Need HELP !!!

My Cars
    E36 325i E46 330ci

Automatic Transmission problem, Need HELP !!!

I have a 95 E36 AT and my car always have that problem. What happen to my car?
    I experienced when I was driving normally on the gas pedal. sometime it looked like missed gear, only see the rpm rise but the car cannot accerate like you shifted in the "N" gear but actually its in "D". Anyone can pointed out my car's problem? I heard it comment on E36' AT. Please help ASAP!!!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    u might need to change the AT fluid... if that doesnt help... u got tranny problems...

My Cars
    E36 325i E46 330ci
    I just changed the filter and ATF(not the OEM). I believe its tranny problem but cannot figure it out.
    So anyone experience this case?

My Cars
    e36
    Try getting some of the no-slip additive from autozone or whatever you have in CA. If that doesn't work, you need a new trans.

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    How did you fill up the AT???

Ive discussed it about a million and a half times..
    Search for my name on the forums... You'll find PLENTY of info... My car just started doing this again.. I dont think I'm going to fill the AT back up, I really dont feel like investing more money into something I only can accually drive hard for 2 months out of the year (me going to school iN CT and the car being in NJ

Send me an instant message on aim if you have any questions. my screen name is dabomb4956
    1994 325i Uber Sedan 5-spd swap'ed
    E36 Automatic to 5-Speed DIY Write Up
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.
    Custom 2 tone suede interior comming early 2006.

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    Also, changing the ATF after a very long time (bmw stays its lifetime) can accually be WORSE than not changing it..

Basically.. your probably worse off changing it because it hasnt been changed in a long time, than not changing it at all..

Like I said.. search for my name.. Ive explained it many times.
    1994 325i Uber Sedan 5-spd swap'ed
    E36 Automatic to 5-Speed DIY Write Up
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.
    Custom 2 tone suede interior comming early 2006.

My Cars
    E36 325i E46 330ci
    Just talked to a mechanic who work at the dealership. When he heard I changed ATF, he said nothing can do on it unless to get a new tranny? I am believe some members said they changed the ATF and their still running well. Does any member or Bimmer's expert can share and explain more detail?

My Cars
    E36 M3's and E46 M3
    Lets get to the root of problem. First, did it start slipping BEFORE or AFTER your ATF and filter change?

I haven't change my fluid (tranny oil) since day one. I have over 185k miles on the car. BMW stated its "lifetime" so why bother . But did heard that most people had tranny problem AFTER they did the fluid change. It could be that over time, the shiet that's in your tranny stick like glue. But with happen is that the new fluid break that stuff up and cause it to move around and fawkup your gear....

My Cars
    E36 325i E46 330ci
    It slipping before I change the ATF and the filter coz I think it causes by the old ATF. However, it stills have that problem.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    So I take it it was a DIY. How much ATF fluid did you put back in??? I would be willing to bet the fluid level is off. I've changed my own and it took me a second time to get it to the right level. That's what I hate about these Trans., no dipstick, etc....(I know lifetime) but some people don't take that chance... I change mine every 25K just in hopes of prolonging the life of it. Not that it matters but on a personal level I use redlineoils.com ATF. Good stuff. First time I had the oil changed was when I got the car.

My Cars
    '92 318, '93 325is, '95 325ic, '88 Pathfinder, '74
    Check the fluid according to this article:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

Your shifter selector may also be out of alignment - if you move the selector backwards, does it still slip? How about if you drive in a lower gear?

-Wayne
    Search PelicanParts.com:
    Available Now - "101 Projects for Your 3-Series BMW." Focusing on the E30 and E36 cars, this book has performance projects along with restoration and appearance upgrades. Click Here to Order

My Cars
    E36 325i E46 330ci
    Most of time its slip at low gear. Normally between 2500-3000rpm at 2nd/3nd or sudden accelrate

My Cars
    '92 318, '93 325is, '95 325ic, '88 Pathfinder, '74
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquaintanc
    Most of time its slip at low gear. Normally between 2500-3000rpm at 2nd/3nd or sudden accelrate
    Try driving in 3rd gear and let me know what happens...

-Wayne
    Search PelicanParts.com:
    Available Now - "101 Projects for Your 3-Series BMW." Focusing on the E30 and E36 cars, this book has performance projects along with restoration and appearance upgrades. Click Here to Order