Thread: Need Help. Transmission error after replacing the starter. 2006 530i

My Cars
    A car and a bike

Need Help. Transmission error after replacing the starter. 2006 530i

My starter went out on Tuesday. I had the starter replaced today. When I first tried to start it right after, the car hesitated for a few seconds and then started. It was a rough idle and a transmission error came and said to drive moderately. The error said "Transmission Fault, Gear can be engaged without depressing the brake."

A voltage meter was hooked up to the battery. It read 11.6 with the key in crank position and then read 12.2 with the car on. I drove the car moderately trying to see if it was a battery issue that would go away. I noticed that the car reacts very slowly to the gas pedal. Almost as if there is a vacuum leak. The exhaust note is deeper as well. I put the car in neutral and rev it some to see if I could hear a leak but I didn't hear anything.

Tomorrow morning I am going to do what a friend (BMW mechanic) recommends by having the battery charged, clearing all codes, register batter, and the deleting transport mode (I have the diagnostics tools). He is not in the same city so he can't look at it himself.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas? The car was running good before.
    Last edited by ItsThaMonsta; 09-26-2015 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    A car and a bike
    The battery checked out to be good so I'm stomped on what the issue is.

My Cars
    91 318is sold. 97 audi a4 sold 95 m3 my daily
    The rubber gasket inside your harness connector that goes into your transmission underneath the car could be leaking. If fluid gets inside, it can cause shorts, hence the trans. malfunction. I would go ahead and replace the transmission oil and fluid too.

My Cars
    E61, R32GTR, C70, CBR
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsThaMonsta View Post
    My starter went out on Tuesday. I had the starter replaced today. When I first tried to start it right after, the car hesitated for a few seconds and then started. It was a rough idle and a transmission error came and said to drive moderately. The error said "Transmission Fault, Gear can be engaged without depressing the brake."

A voltage meter was hooked up to the battery. It read 11.6 with the key in crank position and then read 12.2 with the car on. I drove the car moderately trying to see if it was a battery issue that would go away. I noticed that the car reacts very slowly to the gas pedal. Almost as if there is a vacuum leak. The exhaust note is deeper as well. I put the car in neutral and rev it some to see if I could hear a leak but I didn't hear anything.

Tomorrow morning I am going to do what a friend (BMW mechanic) recommends by having the battery charged, clearing all codes, register batter, and the deleting transport mode (I have the diagnostics tools). He is not in the same city so he can't look at it himself.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas? The car was running good before.
    i have the exact same problem, new starter motor and then I get the transmission fault from time to time, this is only when I first start the car though, reset the ignition and it disappears, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Cheers

Calvin

My Cars
    2007 525xi BMW
    Does anyone have the answer to that problem Its Tha Monsta had with replacing the starter and now the transmission fault code is on hard to start slow to accelerate???

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Did you accidentally unplug your crankshaft position sensor?
    got any fault codes?

My Cars
    E60 530XI
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackTube View Post
    Did you accidentally unplug your crankshaft position sensor?
    got any fault codes?
    Did anyone found what the root cause was ?

I am having the same issue!

My Cars
    E60 530XI
    Quote Originally Posted by Chepo38 View Post
    Did anyone found what the root cause was ?

I am having the same issue!
    Ok. For those having this issue. It appears that the crank sensor is right below the starter and between the starter install and the harness being attached to the intake manifold which is being pulled away it could cause the connector to the cran sensor to come undone or break.

The crank sensor issue will cause your trans code. Fix the crank sensor issue and your other codes should go away.

See youtube video i found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzjT6yZLB4&t=630s