Thread: "What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Hit up the Kingdom trails with some buds. Brought up my new Santa Cruz Blur.
    new bike, nice! I’ve heard the kingdom trails are amazing... maybe oughta take this off board...! #OTthreadjack
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Filled her up today, second fill since Friday and before putting over 400+ miles on mine this weekend.

The first miles that have been free of any vexing vibrations or untoward behavior on the highway. Just buttery smooth hauling of the fam. So smooth both kiddo and momma slept 2+ hours in the back as we boogied it coming home from NY. There’s something magical indeed about the highway performance these cars can provide, which I remembered fondly from my last one nearly 10 years ago. Super excited to have my chassis and driveline toight and smooth... even if it involved several trips to the shop and maintenance costs that well eclipse the value of the car . So. Worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Hit up the Kingdom trails with some buds. Brought up my new Santa Cruz Blur.
    I was wondering what happened to you. Love VT, most of the state is so unpopulated with great roads to cruise on.
    A Blur, nice. CF right?

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    For the last two weeks...

Installed GROM BT3 on my son's 540i Sport. Everything worked as advertised, except no volume. After two weeks of emails and finally getting a tech on the phone we deduced it down to a bad DSP adapter they sent me. They are sending another and will take this one back, on their own dime for shipping. Good service overall.

Hope it works this time. Installed a GROM on my daughter's e46 and she loves it.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I finally received my last part for the Touring interior swap. Part was a touring specific rear overhead light,now painted satin black and installed.
    I sourced parts from all over,United Kingdom,Latvia,Belarus in the states Dayton,Md.Grand Rapids,Mi.and Paw Paw,Mi.
    Crazy where you can find stuff today.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    I finally received my last part for the Touring interior swap. Part was a touring specific rear overhead light,now painted satin black and installed.
    I sourced parts from all over,United Kingdom,Latvia,Belarus in the states Dayton,Md.Grand Rapids,Mi.and Paw Paw,Mi.
    Crazy where you can find stuff today.
    Neat! I can't wait until a trade war makes that more expensive. -_-
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Started to dismantle my silver E39...

Too much damage to economically repair

Some parts will go to resurrect my sons 528i in my back yard that came second best in a butt sniffing contest with an Audi, some will go to his 540i that he bought to replace it. The non vanos manifolds and 6 speed manual will eventually migrate to my facelift 540i M-sport.

The entire electronic suite and interior, along with the front guards, doors and glass will be stripped and stored before I part ways with the shell to a scrap merchant.

I may also salvage the near new suspension arms just in case. I ever need one urgently.

It's fortunate that the V8 radiator is a direct swap to the I6 car. It makes a lot of sense from a manufacturing perspective though to have as much commonality as possible I guess.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
    Just run it thru the lemon scented furniture polish routine with a paper towel. Unless it's filthy. Then I guess that kind of washing is warranted.
    Did that on my Corolla..... the strong lemon scent 8 inches from my nose was very annoying for about a month.

Think I'll do the water bath next time this is needed. Or use unscented polish.

My Cars
    740i, 330i, A6
    Did the seat twist repair today on the driver's seat. I cut a 1/2" of cable sleeve out of the two cables that caused the problem. This shortens the cable sleeve that allows the cable to insert fully back into the motor socket. This repair requires some research and I was fortunate that there were many posts and youtube videos that explained how to repair the seat. There are many methods and I went with the easiest and quickest method which worked fine for me. The passenger seat is next.
    2001 BMW 740i - Anthracite Gray - Style 32 Wheels --------- 2004 BMW 330i - Silver Grey Metallic
    Convenience Pkg - Cold Weather Pkg - PDC ------------------- Sport Package - Auto - Mroof - Hseats

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Do you have to remove the seat?

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post
    Are you a contortionist? If so, no. I’ve seen many not need to remove the seats.

Personally I removed mine, both seats. That are a pain to swing out!

All depends on how you wanna skin the cat.

My Cars
    740i, 330i, A6
    I just completed the passenger seat. It was much quicker since I learned the way on the Driver's seat.

Quote Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post
    I did not remove the seat. I removed the four bolts holding the seat down and I just leaned it back and worked on it from the front seat area of the cockpit. I removed the rear seat bottom to make more room for the front seat to lay back. I did not remove any connectors to the seat so as to avoid any Air Bag lights. I fortified the cable splice with 1.5 in of fuel line section and two clamps to secure it to the cable, this will avoid it pulling apart over time. I used the hose/clamps instead of shrink wrap in case I needed to remove it and adjust it again.

I personally would not repair it any other way. I suspect removing the seat and/or even just loosening the motors would be much more work.

I had power to the seat at all times which came in handy to align the seats prior to putting the cable back together.
    2001 BMW 740i - Anthracite Gray - Style 32 Wheels --------- 2004 BMW 330i - Silver Grey Metallic
    Convenience Pkg - Cold Weather Pkg - PDC ------------------- Sport Package - Auto - Mroof - Hseats

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6

Topside oil change with FCP oil change kit. Old oil and filter all packed/bottled up and back in the original package to be sent back for credit.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by ryunk View Post
    I just completed the passenger seat. It was much quicker since I learned the way on the Driver's seat.

I did not remove the seat. I removed the four bolts holding the seat down and I just leaned it back and worked on it from the front seat area of the cockpit. I removed the rear seat bottom to make more room for the front seat to lay back. I did not remove any connectors to the seat so as to avoid any Air Bag lights. I fortified the cable splice with 1.5 in of fuel line section and two clamps to secure it to the cable, this will avoid it pulling apart over time. I used the hose/clamps instead of shrink wrap in case I needed to remove it and adjust it again.

I personally would not repair it any other way. I suspect removing the seat and/or even just loosening the motors would be much more work.

I had power to the seat at all times which came in handy to align the seats prior to putting the cable back together.
    Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

Found a pool of water in rear driver side foot well so I spent 30 minutes took out the door panel and re-seal the foam cover of the door with a heat gun, I did buy a tube of 3M weather trim adhesive but didn't have to use it.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post

Topside oil change with FCP oil change kit. Old oil and filter all packed/bottled up and back in the original package to be sent back for credit.
    Which Mityvac is that that holds a whole M62 fulla oil? I know a number of those are not nearly big enuff for our porpoises. Been wanting to get one, I'd love the HFT giant-green-egg-of-used-oil collector one but it just takes up too much space and I can't justify...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6

"What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

I got this one right here:

http://Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid ..._dPkCBbM7S7RTN

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    Washed both of my E39s and took them both to a local meet at Modbargains. First time out together.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Oh man, one problem after another, on the way home on local road, I suddenly heard a bang sound and then wind noise and felt hot air, I turned my head and saw rear right window was missing, looked again and the window just dropped down inside the door, so I turned off AC and open the front windows and drove home on 92F degree weather. When I got home, I popped the panel and weather barrier, the lifting cable is loose so I took the glass and track off, the end of cable that loops around the plastic pulley on top of the track and links to the sliding block popped out of the socket that suppose to hold it there, the sliding block is aluminum but it is kind of soft metal so over the time of many open and down operations, the socket is deformed under the stress and cannot hold the cable end anymore. So I ordered a new track and it will arrive on Saturday, in the mean time, I have to use aluminum tape to tape the window in place in case of raining and I am sure there will be rain in the weather forecast.

I replaced rear passenger side window lifter track couple of years ago, the stock on has the plastic sliding block, the aftermarket one came with aluminum sliding block so I thought it should be stronger but what do I know. The part # is 51358252430.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Today I spoke with Jeff from J&T distributing and promised to tell everyone how great my experience was so here is my review.

I picked up my Dynavin used not only did they search their warehouse for older compatible parts they supported me over the course of more than 20 messages and over 3 weeks as well as swapped out my incorrect purchases for only the cost of shipping and then when I found out my equipment was a different version not only did they find it in the warehouse they got me squared away as quick as possible even though it was my mistake

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Installed a new splash shield with a new ambient temp sensor and wiring. Then a blown tire destroyed it in 15 minutes.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    Installed a new splash shield with a new ambient temp sensor and wiring. Then a blown tire destroyed it in 15 minutes.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Them feels...
    For me it was someone elses' blown tyre debris

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Them road gators...
    That’s how mine initially got destroyed!

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    Last two afternoons in the heat + humidity, finishing the valley pan/water pump o-rings/intake manifold gaskets/valve cover gaskets on my Dinan-blown 540i/6, which I started before a long vacation...

As if the E39 M62 compartment wasn't cramped enough, that Vortech blower really gets in the way of a lot of things. Most notably the right front valve cover bolts for which a lot of the intake piping had to come off for access. That was an exercise in contortion in itself! Also the ABS unit had to be dismounted to get that valve cover off.

My new least-favorite job is getting the left valve cover back on without knocking off the new gaskets (the half-moons snag on the long cam tower studs and everything else).
    Finally I took the left cabin filter box off, both flexible fuel lines, and the brake booster vacuum line. Then there was JUST enough room to work the cover in there without dropping the gaskets (even with hi-tack sealant holding them on). My back is sore and I darn near got heat exhaustion.
    Last edited by DrCharles; 08-18-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k

My Cars
    99 528it black 99 528
    Started tearing off the intake manifold to replace the coolant pipes underneath it that are shot, this is leading to a full on pipe and hose replace along with water pump and radiator. I am also replacing anything that fits into the while im in there too. taking my time and cleaning everything as i go.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
    Last two afternoons in the heat + humidity, finishing the valley pan/water pump o-rings/intake manifold gaskets/valve cover gaskets on my Dinan-blown 540i/6, which I started before a long vacation...

As if the E39 M62 compartment wasn't cramped enough, that Vortech blower really gets in the way of a lot of things. Most notably the right front valve cover bolts for which a lot of the intake piping had to come off for access. That was an exercise in contortion in itself! Also the ABS unit had to be dismounted to get that valve cover off.

My new least-favorite job is getting the left valve cover back on without knocking off the new gaskets (the half-moons snag on the long cam tower studs and everything else).
    Finally I took the left cabin filter box off, both flexible fuel lines, and the brake booster vacuum line. Then there was JUST enough room to work the cover in there without dropping the gaskets (even with hi-tack sealant holding them on). My back is sore and I darn near got heat exhaustion.
    Try having an intercooler on top of everything to worry about as well it's definitely less fun with added goodies, but that's the price to party!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Page 387 of 671 FirstFirst ... 287337362377378379380381382383384385386387388389390391392393394395396397412437487 ... LastLast