Thread: "What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    replaced the whole tensioner assembly for the water pump/alternator on my 540, since it was making pretty obvious noisy idler noises, and the noise was originating from the idlers.
    problem is, after replacement, the noise is....still there? I checked the idlers before going on the car and they correctly had good damping, the old ones spun freely and noisily once i checked them off the car

so, what's up here?
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Converted to e85, massive improvement, my butt dyno says much more power, and for the first time ever my engine runs so smooth I can barely tell it's running!
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Swapped some of my black interior into my Japan Red touring. Lots left to do but really happy in how it looks so far.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    replaced the whole tensioner assembly for the water pump/alternator on my 540, since it was making pretty obvious noisy idler noises, and the noise was originating from the idlers.
    problem is, after replacement, the noise is....still there? I checked the idlers before going on the car and they correctly had good damping, the old ones spun freely and noisily once i checked them off the car

so, what's up here?
    nevermind answered my own question, i let the car idle for about ten minutes and get up to temp, noise slowly went away.

also, put in the rebuilt caliper and bled the brakes, i'd love to go for a drive but...

i realized i have a coolant leak. Two, actually. One decent sized one under the coolant level sensor (those e36 sensors are poo) and one very slow one i can't really identify yet...its dripping off the front driver side of the lower oil pan ridge, and going by dried coolant splash it might be coming from way up, like behind the water pump maybe

coolant leak front oil pan.jpg
    Last edited by joekitch; 04-26-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    The exp tank sender is sealed. Sensor can't leak. Most likely your expansion tank has a crack/leak, or you stripped the (basically useless on the V8) bleed screw, so that the drip up there is trickling down...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    forgot to specify, i have that zionsville aluminum tank and i can literally see the leak dripping from the coolant level sensor, which needs to be an e36 level sensor. i have no idea why they designed around that thing (it breaks constantly and leaks just as much) but eh

but again the other leak is more mysterious

GN92489

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Swapped some of my black interior into my Japan Red touring. Lots left to do but really happy in how it looks so far.

I see tan front head rests! The back half looks great! Good job.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5

Yeeey, finally some upgrades))))
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    I see tan front head rests! The back half looks great! Good job.
    Still much to do, I need to pull headliners (2) and get one redone in black pull dash and carpets. Install e38 front seats.

Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Yeeey, finally some upgrades))))
    I know, been forever to start this. I'm tired of looking at all that extended leather lying around in my basement.

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Yesterday, I - Replaced washer fluid lines and motors (need new nozzles now)
    - Removed old windshield liner which was broken into decrepit pieces, installed new one
    - Removed front door panels to install Bavsound stage 1 speakers. Never got them back on due to sun going down and discovery that PO broke a lot of the clips.

Hoping I can find some of those clips in person at some auto parts store today.
    Bavsound speakers sound awesome btw

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer7410 View Post
    Yesterday, I - Replaced washer fluid lines and motors (need new nozzles now)
    - Removed old windshield liner which was broken into decrepit pieces, installed new one
    - Removed front door panels to install Bavsound stage 1 speakers. Never got them back on due to sun going down and discovery that PO broke a lot of the clips.

Hoping I can find some of those clips in person at some auto parts store today.
    Bavsound speakers sound awesome btw
    If you don’t have the headlight washers/intensive cleaning system, I recommend using the E60 nozzles. They’re a little bit tight in the hood’s holes, so be careful that you don’t take paint off (or file them down ever so slightly), but they’re plug and play. If you have headlight washers/intensive cleaning, you may have to customize the tubing. Personally, I would recommend deleting the headlight washers and just going with the single tube for the hood.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    If you don’t have the headlight washers/intensive cleaning system, I recommend using the E60 nozzles. They’re a little bit tight in the hood’s holes, so be careful that you don’t take paint off (or file them down ever so slightly), but they’re plug and play. If you have headlight washers/intensive cleaning, you may have to customize the tubing. Personally, I would recommend deleting the headlight washers and just going with the single tube for the hood.
    10/10 Mod, would do again
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    Headlight washers are independent Nate - separate pump and hose - its just the Intensive system that has the issue w/ checkvalves and whatnot. Which is apparently fixable if you fit checkvalves... Frankly I find the intensive fairly useless anyway, after years of owning the car I'd delete that in a minute if I needed to.

Headlight washers are like home air-conditioning for people in the North, or say, 'wall insulation' for people who live in the South. Southern boneheads always rant about 'em... "YEAH who needs those!?!? Its just more complicated and stupid useless feature! USELESS!!!!" But they are LEGIT for those of us who don't live in HappyLaLaLand and have to repeatedly wash the salt and filth crust off our headlights when taking long drives in the winter. It's like taking a shroud off 'em, getting 50% of your lights back again without having to pull over in the crap weather. Don't need 'em too often, but when you do... they are much appreciated...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Headlight washers are independent Nate - separate pump and hose - its just the Intensive system that has the issue w/ checkvalves and whatnot. Which is apparently fixable if you fit checkvalves... Frankly I find the intensive fairly useless anyway, after years of owning the car I'd delete that in a minute if I needed to.

Headlight washers are like home air-conditioning for people in the North, or say, 'wall insulation' for people who live in the South. Southern boneheads always rant about 'em... "YEAH who needs those!?!? Its just more complicated and stupid useless feature! USELESS!!!!" But they are LEGIT for those of us who don't live in HappyLaLaLand and have to repeatedly wash the salt and filth crust off our headlights when taking long drives in the winter. It's like taking a shroud off 'em, getting 50% of your lights back again without having to pull over in the crap weather. Don't need 'em too often, but when you do... they are much appreciated...
    Gotcha. Are headlight washers/intensive cleaning tied together? I think if you have one you have both, no?

Oh, I definitely understand why they're there, but at this point, all the tubing is brittle and prone to leaking if it hasn't already been replaced.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I don't think they were tied together as order-option/marketing-wise, but I could be wrong. Seems like I have seen headlight without intensive, but maybe not the opposite? But I could be wrong, maybe they were.

Physically they definitely aren't tied together... basically the systems go:

Master tank -> normal pump -> main windshield nozzles
    Intensive tank -> int. pump -> same nozzles
    Master tank -> headlight pump -> headlight nozzles
    Master tank -> hatch pump -> hatch nozzles (Touring obv.)

So the main tank is shared by all but intensive, the main windshield nozzles are shared by just the normal and intensive systems.

The intensive system IS a bit useless honestly. If you actually had the original "paint melting washer fluid" I think it probably was pretty cool for real filth, but a bit hazardous cuz they stopped selling that apparently it was super harsh on paint and people didn't realize "only use this when you know it'll get washed away soon!" I made my own a few times - extra alcohol and a drip of soap added to some normal fluid - but its not really worth the hassle.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Pretty sure my mysterious double coolant leak was just one leak making an incredibly long journey from one side of the bay to the other

coolant journey.jpg

Cleaned everything up and tightened up that hose real good, no signs of seepage even at highway shakedown run
    had to take off the harmonic balance pulley to get to it though, and i'm having a real hard time finding a torque spec for those bolts, for now they're at 40 newton meters i believe
    Last edited by joekitch; 04-28-2018 at 12:30 AM.

GN92489

My Cars
    528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I don't think they were tied together as order-option/marketing-wise, but I could be wrong. Seems like I have seen headlight without intensive, but maybe not the opposite? But I could be wrong, maybe they were.

Physically they definitely aren't tied together... basically the systems go:

Master tank -> normal pump -> main windshield nozzles
    Intensive tank -> int. pump -> same nozzles
    Master tank -> headlight pump -> headlight nozzles
    Master tank -> hatch pump -> hatch nozzles (Touring obv.)

So the main tank is shared by all but intensive, the main windshield nozzles are shared by just the normal and intensive systems.

The intensive system IS a bit useless honestly. If you actually had the original "paint melting washer fluid" I think it probably was pretty cool for real filth, but a bit hazardous cuz they stopped selling that apparently it was super harsh on paint and people didn't realize "only use this when you know it'll get washed away soon!" I made my own a few times - extra alcohol and a drip of soap added to some normal fluid - but its not really worth the hassle.
    I believe you got the intensive/headlight washers if you ordered the cold weather package. Heated seats/steering wheel, and washers for the headlights.

My X5 was specced like that, but oddly my E39 had heated seats, and nothing more. And yes, those headlight washers were a godsend this winter. Driving in 4 nor'easters left the front of my E53 caked up but a quick squirt from them gave me 4 tiny holes from which to see. They are good at removing filth but when there's a 1/2 inch of packed/frozen slush mix plastered to the front of the car, only thing that fixes that is a stop on the side of the road to clear it with the brush.
    Last edited by itsbrokeagain; 04-28-2018 at 08:48 AM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The cold weather package items depended on what year your is. My '00 has cold weather package but the heated wheel wasn't available if you got the sport (6 speed) model.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    The cold weather package items depended on what year your is. My '00 has cold weather package but the heated wheel wasn't available if you got the sport (6 speed) model.
    I don't think any CWP and Sport cars have heated steering wheels; mutually exclusive options. You could have the sport wheel, or the heated wheel, but not both.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)

My Cars
    See my sig
    Changed the 3,46 diff in.

Current rides: E65 730dA '04, F10 520dA '11, E34 520iA '91

Old rides: E46 316Ti, E53 X5, E38 728iA, E39 528iA, E46 318i Touring, E38 730dA, E36 316i, E36 328iA Cabrio, E38 728i, E38 750i, E36/3 320i, E36 318i, E39 530dA Touring, E38 740i, E39 528iA, E34 525iA, E32 750iL, E32 730iL, E34/2 525TDS,
    E34 525i, E28 518i, E34 535i, E34/2 525iA, E30/5 325i, E34 535i, E28 520i https://www.instagram.com/zener__/

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Ordered Dynavin N7 today.

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Ordered Dynavin N7 today.
    What made you choose the n7 over some of the other alternatives?

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Took my 528i to Auto-X Saturday, in liu of a broken E36.

Not quite as nimble, but still had a blast!

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...&width=560

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    Did Rear Subframe Bushings on my 525 Wagon this weekend. I get the point now why not to use air tools on the Koch tool to get them out. Lube is your friend. Had to buy a 24MM open end wrench and as long as I was at Fleet Farm got the 23MM and the 22MM just to add to the set.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc1590 View Post
    Took my 528i to Auto-X Saturday, in liu of a broken E36.

Not quite as nimble, but still had a blast!

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vid...&width=560
    Cool !
    That course is a little weird IMO. LOL.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

Page 363 of 672 FirstFirst ... 263313338353354355356357358359360361362363364365366367368369370371372373388413463 ... LastLast