Thread: "What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by cf125 View Post
    Fitted a new head unit, which in my opinion looks very OEM what you guys think, tomorrow task is to fit the reversing camera.
    Attachment 617035
    Hey! You figured it out
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Removed my PCN and Alpine amp from the car. Up for sale here
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...3#post29900813

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Does anybody know under what conditions an airbag light would be set off? I know it's not an e39, but my X5 had the battery terminal replaced and the seat belt sensor for the driver seat replaced at the dealership which was covered by the other persons insurance... but when I got the car back the air bag light was on and they said they could not reset it because the cluster is from an e38...

I'm trying to get the insurance company to pay for the labor and diagnosis of the airbag light (but not the actual cluster) and they need an ASE certified shop to confirm that either A) the airbag light was set off due to being rear ended (no air bag deployed) or B) the airbag light is a result of them replacing the battery terminal and or the seatbelt sensor.

The dealer is saying that they did not cause the airbag light to go off, of course...
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 12-05-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    If there was no airbag deployed OR constriction of the seat belt via the tensioner on impact then scratch off A.

My question is, why were those two items replaced?

Chances are they either unplugged a pyrotechnic (airbag) related item with power on and caused a code. OR the ding dongs left something unplugged entirely.

However if any of the 2 in my first line occured... (Please correct me if i'm wrong) A hard fault was stored in the SRS module that concludes it MUST be replaced. Hence the inability to clear it. (Don't quote me on this though, i recalled this from eons ago). Cluster story seems like bs.
    Last edited by Dking078; 12-05-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    If there was no airbag deployed OR constriction of the seat belt via the tensioner on impact then scratch off A.

My question is, why were those two items replaced?

Chances are they either unplugged a pyrotechnic (airbag) related item with power on and caused a code. OR the ding dongs left something unplugged entirely.

However if any of the 2 in my first line occured... (Please correct me if i'm wrong) A hard fault was stored in the SRS module that concludes it MUST be replaced. Hence the inability to clear it. (Don't quote me on this though, i recalled this from eons ago). Cluster story seems like bs.
    I've had two accidents with airbag deployment. Neither caused a permanent SRS fault, so I'd guess the dealership screwed something up.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    Install INPA, go from there. It'll tell you at what time/day it was triggered and why.

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    Looks very good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW E39 2003 525D Sport
    Yeah cheers for your help, i few more things that need to be done. got a day off so gonna do a bit more today.

one thing with the head unit is it wont play videos as it thinks the handbrake isn't on but i don't really care about that.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    Does anybody know under what conditions an airbag light would be set off? I know it's not an e39, but my X5 had the battery terminal replaced and the seat belt sensor for the driver seat replaced at the dealership which was covered by the other persons insurance... but when I got the car back the air bag light was on and they said they could not reset it because the cluster is from an e38...

I'm trying to get the insurance company to pay for the labor and diagnosis of the airbag light (but not the actual cluster) and they need an ASE certified shop to confirm that either A) the airbag light was set off due to being rear ended (no air bag deployed) or B) the airbag light is a result of them replacing the battery terminal and or the seatbelt sensor.

The dealer is saying that they did not cause the airbag light to go off, of course...
    Rusk0 you oughter start a thread on this incident (unless you did and I missed it).

Of course the blown assploding battery terminal would have triggered the light, and needs re-setting probably.

The cluster thing is completely retarded and unrelated. The cluster just gets the instruction from the "MRS" module "hey, light the light up for me, would you?" and does what its told. Agree that with that level of stupidity going on, who knows what they actually might have screwed up in terms of wiring or anything else.

The dealer sounds like idiots. Which happens with the older cars now. The punk who was never trained on anything older than an E90 may not have even scanned the right module.

Probably one of these scenarios:
    - They're idiots and didn't know how to clear the light and it will clear fine now.
    - They're idiots and didn't hook something up (maybe didn't plug the new assploding battery terminal in?) and once that's fixed the module will clear fine. As mentioned, a simple INPA scan will tell you where to look immediately.

Long shot scenario is these modules are known to 'bork' and get stuck with an 'internal fault' which you need to bench flash to resolve, if the idiots tried to code it improperly I suppose there's some chance that's occurred.

On your insurance situation, a good ASE Indy thats BMW-savvy should be able to read that module, find the error, and be willing to state "yes this module is throwing an error due to the accident and was not properly cleared/repaired by the dealership".
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    Where did you get the OEM crossbars? I've been looking all over for them without any luck. I was thinking of springing for a Thule kit, but I'd prefer the OEMs.
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanassi44 View Post
    Where did you get the OEM crossbars? I've been looking all over for them without any luck. I was thinking of springing for a Thule kit, but I'd prefer the OEMs.
    That's not the OEM crossbar. This is what the OEM bar looks like.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/82710415055/

I got them from ECS or somebody where it looked like they'd made a mistake and priced them super low (same way I got a few things...) but officially they are 'NLA'. Somebody posted recently that you can use the E46 Touring crossbars, maybe that's what admiral750 has.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    That's not the OEM crossbar. This is what the OEM bar looks like.

Somebody posted recently that you can use the E46 Touring crossbars, maybe that's what admiral750 has.
    whatchu' talkin' bout Willis !!??

them thar crossbars are oem GeneralGrinder....well...the wood isn't but that's beside the point....

The sedan and the touring had the same blocky, unfancy, aerodynamics-of-a-brick crossbars but different bases of course. Mine were purchased at our dealer by the PO (of the bars..) after she bought her e39 touring new. She couldn't use them her e60 that replaced the e39 so she offered them to me but I didn't have a touring at the time. A year or two after I acquired the wagon, (aka "love" or "Frau Christine".....) I contacted her, she still had them, and she gave them to me along with two oem bike carriers.

Ref pages 38-43 of the '99 Update Original BMW Acc'y Catalog (PD1-12983-100M) and you will see the Profile 2000 Lockable base multi-functional roof rack system (...inhale....) in it's glory. Part Number 82 71 0 002 063 (you could even get a 3.5cm lift kit for them...lol).

I also have 2 ea. of the "touring" cycle holders, p/n 82 72 9 405 242. This would be Item C in the catalog...not Item B, the "racing" cycle holder, with that sexy ass Pinarello mounted to it...(with what looks to be a Dura-ace groupo...uuuuggggg...my old-skool road bike is all Campagnolo Super Record...but I digress...)

There ya has it Thanassi
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanassi44 View Post
    this is a ps to my other post...

I agree...I like having OEM stuff, but these are like running with a billboard mounted crosswise on the car. There's more drag than Rue Paul could handle. I like 'em, but the Thule's are probably more slickery than these. I really want a rooftop cargo basket but again, the decimal point on the CD number of an e39 is moved a couple places to the right when they are on...
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    whatchu' talkin' bout Willis !!??

them thar crossbars are oem GeneralGrinder........

Ref pages 38-43 of the '99 Update Original BMW Acc'y Catalog (PD1-12983-100M)

Ahhhh I see... {SniffSneer} pre-facelift OEM bars... no wonder they look so klunky... Well I'm sure those are fine for some people

Srsly that's similar to how I got my M3 vert wind screen. I'd looked at a guys M3 vert FS, it got me hooked on the idea of one, but didn't like the color or miles of his... Bought mine, then months later remembered he'd had the windscreen accessory... Called him up and indeed he'd sold the vert but kept the windscreen and was happy to give it to me for essentially beer money.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    I couldn't agree more with what everyone has replied with.

This doesn't just happen with older cars...this happens with newer cars too....some of these dealers just look for ways out of helping customers with an issue, and certainly won't look past anything that isn't dead-nuts original. If they aren't smart enough to work around something non-standard (like that cluster...which is absolute bull$#!t and screams "I don't understand how these cars really work nor am I gonna learn how they do....by the way Mr. you need an Inspection II, pads, rotors, thrust rod bushings, etc...I'm too much of an @$$hat to realize the cluster is basically a hi-zoot repeater but I'll suck the gravy off the ticket all day long....." ...) then they should find another profession.
    The answer to question A - the airbag light was on when those items were replaced and it remains on so the insurance company should still be open checkbook at this point. (by the replies, I think everyone on the forum here feels pretty confident that the light was NOT on prior to the defendant using their car as a battering ram on your X5 since none of them asked...) so this one is just painfully obvious. If your car takes "special treatment" to repair it fully after their insured damages it, then that's what they need to be on deck for to return you as close to "whole" as possible.
    The answer to question B - we look forward to you finding someone (intelligent...) that can provide that...

Do the INPA thing, get the story, and keep the pressure on the insurance co. (if you were in Ohio, and I still worked at the dealer, I'd be happy to help you work through this...that's just how I tried to treat these owners)

Tony

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Ahhhh I see... {SniffSneer} pre-facelift OEM bars... no wonder they look so klunky... Well I'm sure those are fine for some people

hahaha...totally !! I ain't picky bro !! They are klunky bars...a fencepost has better aero and they have a face only a mother could love...

Nice pull on the windscreen...! It's cool when stuff works out like that.

I need the cargo rack/roof basket thingy...oooh, and the snowboard holders....I want to get snowboards for the kids and I. I need a winter speed fix....

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I need the cargo rack/roof basket thingy...
    Yeah boss, I want a ruff backset too. They asspensive tho. I been watching them a bit but waiting for a deal. I like the Rocky Mount accessories for good quality but also value, i have a couple bike racks and a ski rack from them all common keyed.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    97 528i
    They IS asspensive yo!!! ....so I's keeps waitin'
    I'll check out the Rocky Mount deal...thanks for the tip !

mostly I scour Craigslistkiller ads for someone peddlin' a used one.

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Installed a euro arm rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by nikh23 View Post
    Installed a euro arm rest

I think im doing this next. Ebay find?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
    I think im doing this next. Ebay find?
    Yup. Looks like there’s plenty of them in Eastern Europe, came with hardware and the storage tray. Install took only a few minutes.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Installed a euro arm rest.
    Pictures?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Yup. Looks like there’s plenty of them in Eastern Europe, came with hardware and the storage tray. Install took only a few minutes.

I have one myself in the 528i. Love it.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    Used mine to haul all of my guns to the range. Plenty of trunk space

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post
    used mine to haul all of my guns to the range. Plenty of trunk space

sent from my lg-h918 using tapatalk

You need a gun rack!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

Page 323 of 670 FirstFirst ... 223273298313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328329330331332333348373423 ... LastLast