Thread: "What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedManual View Post
    I have the clutch kit sitting on my office floor, along with various seals. The RMN is barely leaking, but the clutch is definitely on its last leg.

400$ to replace the rear sway bar bushings? This is literally a 30 minute job, with 15 of those minute putting the rear on jack stands.

1100$ to replace the windshield washer tank and headlight washer pump? Are you sick?!

2000$ to replace the seals on the dif?! HUH

$1850 for two thrust arm bushings!?

$250 for an alignment?! Are you corner balancing the car as well?

$750 for 60$ in fluids and probably 2 hrs of work....
    $250 for a coolant flush?
    $250 for a brake flush?
    $250 for a power steering flush?

I guess thats why they are called stealerships.
    Yeah that's insanity. I do most of this work very often at a BMW Indy, and even at $100/hr rate, we couldn't get near this markup if we charged a 3x markup on parts.

The diff and trans fluid alone would maybe be $150 charge using red line fluids and take me 20 minutes to do, with 18 minutes of those being lift and drain time lol.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    Yesterday morning was spent with the 540 at the Purist Winter Toy Drive. Took my 8 year old daughter with me. We donated some toys, walked around and saw some awesome cars, such as the LaFerarri Aperta, Koenigseggs, McLarens, Bugattis and so much more.

Then after that, dropped off the 540 at home and drove the family up to Make Arrowhead in the 530. First windy road, spirited drive with her, and i was impressed. Though it has been over 6 years since I've driven an E39 without suspension upgrades.

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post
    It's totally possible without baking open or cutting anything. It takes a long time to do it without cutting or baking though. I think it took me 1.5 hours for each light. I used various long tools. It was like building a ship in a bottle.
    I did both of mine, without baking. It did take me longer than 1.5hrs per light.

My Cars
    1999 540i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim20 View Post
    I did both of mine, without baking. It did take me longer than 1.5hrs per light.
    I also did without baking because I had black covers (= won't help baking them) but I cutted my then just glued all pieces back.
    Took me about 3h for the first one, because I tried to unglue it, but it being black cover, it didn't budge, the second one I did in 30min

Lähetetty minun ONEPLUS A5010 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    -E34 M60B40 + Tremec TKO 600 (sold)
    and sadly no old BMW anymore, only high powered Seat Leon Cupra 4Drive as a daily driver.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The problem with not completely opening the housings up, is that you don’t get to inspect and clean the projector reflectors, see if they’re all cruder up with corrosion, and wiping that film of mist on the projector lense.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    The problem with not completely opening the housings up, is that you don’t get to inspect and clean the projector reflectors, see if they’re all cruder up with corrosion, and wiping that film of mist on the projector lense.
    ^_and clean the both sides of the glass lenses.

My Cars
    2002 540i/6
    Took her to the country side and snapped some photos

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeperman View Post
    Took her to the country side and snapped some photos

Nice photos. Like the black kidney grills. Where did you source them?

My Cars
    1999 540i M-sport
    Easy even without removing the headlight to clean lense, but I agree with you, it is better to open it fully, but with black cover you can't do it, without breaking something.

and sadly no old BMW anymore, only high powered Seat Leon Cupra 4Drive as a daily driver.

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E39 540i/6 & M5
    Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post
    Yeah that's insanity. I do most of this work very often at a BMW Indy, and even at $100/hr rate, we couldn't get near this markup if we charged a 3x markup on parts.

The diff and trans fluid alone would maybe be $150 charge using red line fluids and take me 20 minutes to do, with 18 minutes of those being lift and drain time lol.

So I got the car back, obviously didn’t have them do a thing. This part of the quote is the most baffling, the high intensity pump for the headlights...a 100$ part from the dealer.

Still trying to figure out where the other $300 is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1973 BMW Bavaria 3.0S and 2003 540I6
    Reached 200K miles, changed Vanos units and solenoids, all chains and tensioners, fan shroud and fan blades, valve and front cover gaskets, Power-flex bushings and sway bar links, repaired driver seat transmission. Took a test drive Sunday morning. Smooth quiet power, quiet idle and compliant ride has returned. Happy with decision to keep car.

My Cars
    2002 540i/6
    I actually just plastidipped them just in case I want to go back to the chrome ones at some point. I also dipped the mouldings around the car, they were Sterling grey matching the car before. They look great and holds up well.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim20 View Post
    Nice photos. Like the black kidney grills. Where did you source them?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i/6, 2003 BM
    So I got the car back, obviously didn’t have them do a thing. This part of the quote is the most baffling, the high intensity pump for the headlights...a 100$ part from the dealer.

Still trying to figure out where the other $300 is coming from.

I would call them out on it if you bought the part there.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Just replace my badly worn drivers’ door opening trim and conditioned all the other opening trims and door seals. Probably gonna need to do pass side front and rear opening trims before long. At least it’s an easy job!

Old worn bit:

New!

My Cars
    1999 540i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Just replace my badly worn drivers’ door opening trim and conditioned all the other opening trims and door seals. Probably gonna need to do pass side front and rear opening trims before long. At least it’s an easy job!

Old worn bit:

New!

Where you got door seal?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    I get whatever I can from FCPeuro.com, or getBMWparts.com for Genuine stuff FCP sometimes doesn’t have.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I posted this before, a direct replacement seal like that comes from a 2015 Jaguar XF, drivers doorway and passenger doorway seal fits perfectly! The felt part is a bit wider than the BMW’s. Goes on like it was made for the E39.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    I posted this before, a direct replacement seal like that comes from a 2015 Jaguar XF, drivers doorway and passenger doorway seal fits perfectly! The felt part is a bit wider than the BMW’s. Goes on like it was made for the E39.
    Got a cost on that? BMW are $106-120 per.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Well, that’s why I posted that, I don’t know what the cost is from Jaguar, but since it is still quite new, the seals are still in good shape. I figure one could grab one from a wreck at the junk yards for peanuts. I had a totaled XF here at work, before the tow truck came to grab it, I had been thinking about buying a new seal for my car, seal was wasted where we rub our backs on it getting in and out of the car, I was hearing all sorts of road noise, then I noticed the door seal on the XF looked the same, so I tried it. Where the E39 seal has two ends, the XF’s is one solid doughnut, figured I’d have to cut it, but as I was test fitting it, man! It popped in there just perfect. Suddenly the interior was transformed into a quiet car again.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Nice. Can’t say I see too many wrecked jags but ya never know!

My Cars
    2003 530iA Sport
    1. Replaced driveshaft. From the symptoms (vibrations and clunking) seemed likely just the CSB went out but I figured I would just replace the driveshaft and call it a day.

2. Re-covered my interior A-Pillars with black vinyl from H. Lobby, came out great.

3. Replaced front rotors and pads (ceramic). Background: Developed a braking shudder at speed high speed at some point after previously replacing brakes and rotors. Examined brakes and front end but couldn't determine issue. Definite pulsing/dragging in brakes; re-bedded brakes but issue remained. All well now after installing 2nd rotor set.
    2003 530iA Sport - Titangrau Metallic/Schwarz Montana
    Build Codes: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW. Born on date: 09/02, Dingolfing, Deutschland
    |NAV MKIV WAZE | PP | CWP | Xenons | Style 42s | Rear Shades | OEM ULF Bluetooth | Euro Armrest | Beisan Vanos Seals | OEM Aux Input |

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Well, that’s why I posted that, I don’t know what the cost is from Jaguar, but since it is still quite new, the seals are still in good shape. I figure one could grab one from a wreck at the junk yards for peanuts. I had a totaled XF here at work, before the tow truck came to grab it, I had been thinking about buying a new seal for my car, seal was wasted where we rub our backs on it getting in and out of the car, I was hearing all sorts of road noise, then I noticed the door seal on the XF looked the same, so I tried it. Where the E39 seal has two ends, the XF’s is one solid doughnut, figured I’d have to cut it, but as I was test fitting it, man! It popped in there just perfect. Suddenly the interior was transformed into a quiet car again.
    Crazy that you get a 2015 Jag in a junkyard... here in Phoenix I rarely see anything newer than 2006 in the junkyards.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Crazy that you get a 2015 Jag in a junkyard... here in Phoenix I rarely see anything newer than 2006 in the junkyards.
    Jeezuz, over here, we have a Yard that only deals with German cars, Potomac German. Here’s a link, they’ve been there for a long time, and their prices are awesome. That is if you are local, but they have an eBay site, and I hear that they are good on that too.

https://pgauto.com/

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The site is acting goofy, if you need anything, give them a call.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    So I got the car back, obviously didn’t have them do a thing. This part of the quote is the most baffling, the high intensity pump for the headlights..
    Not exactly. That's the "intensive wash" yes but its not for headlights. It comes out of the regular sprayers when you push the "Superman" button. It was a separate option I believe. IF they called that the headlight washer pump (and seems they did) then that dealer is even more retarded than we thought and basically don't no isht about E39's.

The E39 main wash reservoir down in the wheel well can have as many as 3 pumps in it - regular, headlight, and Touring rear hatch. One reservoir, just a big ol' line of pumps going into it. The 'intensive' is the only separate rez / pump assembly.

BITD you were supposed to put some mega-strong washer juice in there, and use it sparingly, but word is BMWUSA stopped carrying the concentrate fluid because its so strong it would damage paint if left on / used in dry conditions, and dumb muricunz too dumb to not "USE MEGABLASTER SPECIAL BUTTON ALL THE TIME!!! WHAT DOES THIS DO I DON"T EVEN KNOW BUT I'M GONNA PRESS ALL THE WASHER BUTTONS ALL THE TIME!"

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    LOL that thing was terrible. Scottie did my Dad own your car before? He rashes the eff out of his BMW door seals, I had to catch him in the act once to figure it out. After he'd replaced it on his E90 almost wore it basically right away. He basically uses his elbows and shoulders to jam and wrestle against the dam door frame / seals (aka bad posture and body awareness - need to send him to a few months of yoga class I guess...) and lever him self in and out. His would look just like that. I taught him how to not be such a slob getting in and out ("turn, put your feet on the ground, lean forward, and stand up!... its like 'lift with your legs' for getting in cars!") But it only takes so long before he gets lazy about it again.

Where the E39 seal has two ends, the XF’s is one solid doughnut, figured I’d have to cut it, but as I was test fitting it, man! It popped in there just perfect. Suddenly the interior was transformed into a quiet car again.
    That is tremendously weird and unlikely! Leave it to Snottzy to figure out some weird ass isht like "oh a Jag XF circular​ gasket fits perfectly!". WTF.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Page 408 of 671 FirstFirst ... 308358383398399400401402403404405406407408409410411412413414415416417418433458508 ... LastLast