Thread: "What did you do to your E39 today V2.0."

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Ah, Maker’s Mark would make a nice companion with snow blowing.
    When the storm is over I want to see some pics of what I’m gladly missing.
    This is one of the reasons we bailed out of MA.
    Winters aren’t so bad here anymore. The occasional big storm spices thing up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    East of Boston is going to get hammered. Snowing steady here in VA
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Had my indie replace VCG’s (passenger side started leaking)
    and plugs. Fresh oil and filter.

So I left my Indy one of the dead keys and I kept the brand new one from BMW here with me at home. He had a car for more than I had expected but it is what it is. He stays pretty busy and I don’t drive it in the winter anyway so didn’t matter really.
    Anyhow this brand new key is dead already. Do the batteries in these “diamond” (design flawed) remotes die that fast if not used for a few or more days?
    More importantly do I have to just drive the car with it in the ignition, to recharge it? Any hacks?
    I read on here Someone use one of those flat cell phone chargers to rejuvenate old dead keys but you then need to reprogram them. Guess I’ll need to do reprogram the new one?
    How the hell do you recharge them though? That battery is brand new?

My Andy is about 10 miles from me back roads or you can take the interstate but that’s no fun. She gobbles up the road baby! Loved loved loved driving or after not driving there for about a week!
    TIA!

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post

So I left my Indy one of the dead keys and I kept the brand new one from BMW here with me at home. He had a car for more than I had expected but it is what it is. He stays pretty busy and I don’t drive it in the winter anyway so didn’t matter really.
    Anyhow this brand new key is dead already. Do the batteries in these “diamond” (design flawed) remotes die that fast if not used for a few or more days?
    More importantly do I have to just drive the car with it in the ignition, to recharge it? Any hacks?
    I read on here Someone use one of those flat cell phone chargers to rejuvenate old dead keys but you then need to reprogram them. Guess I’ll need to do reprogram the new one?

My Andy is about 10 miles from me back roads or you can take the interstate but that’s no fun. She gobbles up the road baby! Loved loved loved driving or after not driving there for about a week! We’re about to get a ton of snow dumped on us 18”?
    Glad I got her back and ready for the storm (protected)
    TIA!

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    So, I got all of the dings and dents removed from E39 by one of the best PDR guys I know. However, there was just 1 that he could not remove due to the shape and indent. I do not know what the previous owner did to get this dent, but it's on the right front of the rocker panel. I might just get it removed by a mobile body shop that works with the ding Doctor. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this and want the body to be perfect, so this kind of bugs me.

image0 (4).jpg

My Cars
    2003 M5

My Andy is about 10 miles from me back roads or you can take the interstate but that’s no fun. She gobbles up the road baby! Loved loved loved driving or after not driving there for about a week!
    TIA!

That's odd. I got a brand new key from the dealer back in August. Only been used like 3 times and it still works flawlessly. I heard an electric toothbrush charger or whatever works good at recharging the battery.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    The battery is a rechargeable lithium battery that should hold a charge for nearly 10 years. I replaced one of the batteries in my E39 fob (one was fine) about 8-9 months ago and so far it's working great and because its now the ugly keep its just the backup, doesn't get used that often.

I'd check a few things: 1. Fuses.. the battery gets charged while in the ignition. I don't know what fuse is powering the charging circuit but if you can't easily find out check them all. Bad fuse, no charging. This could have been your original issue all along. 2. It charges via induction. Any chance the steering column has been worked on recently and maybe bits and bobs didn't make it back in when reassembled? 3. New BMW key or Amazon/Ebay special? If one of the latter check to see if the battery is a rechargeable like it should be.

Good luck..
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    I have my 22 years old keys, both working, both ranging up to 50m. I use a new style f10 flip key so my originals are not used and I charge them constantly every couple of months.
    Just take a wireless phone charger( been using them since 2013, the Galaxy S4 days) and place the key in the middle, half key, half body( remote part), leave it there the whole day even more.
    Toothbrush stand chargers work also.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Managed to give Taz a well deserved wash and tried my paint restoration skills...
    Don't know what kind of dirt is in Denmark but I sponge pre washed the car previous to pressure rinse and after the pressure rinse I gave a it a foam bath and another fluffy glove wash, another foam bath, pressure rinse, osmosis and liquid wax and at the end some oily residue was still left on the car..... Tried all the damn Danish chemicals, they are less powerful than plain water, but plain water is high in lime scale and by the time you get to towel dry, the whole car is in spots, spots that you need lime scale remover to get rid of. Obviously I was left without daylight at about 5pm so I had to call it a day.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by taz. View Post
    Managed to give Taz a well deserved wash and tried my paint restoration skills...
    Don't know what kind of dirt is in Denmark but I sponge pre washed the car previous to pressure rinse and after the pressure rinse I gave a it a foam bath and another fluffy glove wash, another foam bath, pressure rinse, osmosis and liquid wax and at the end some oily residue was still left on the car..... Tried all the damn Danish chemicals, they are less powerful than plain water, but plain water is high in lime scale and by the time you get to towel dry, the whole car is in spots, spots that you need lime scale remover to get rid of. Obviously I was left without daylight at about 5pm so I had to call it a day.
    You might try a rinseless wash process. Way easier to avoid spotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fbAZhrDcw
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    I have my 22 years old keys, both working, both ranging up to 50m. I use a new style f10 flip key so my originals are not used and I charge them constantly every couple of months.
    Just take a wireless phone charger( been using them since 2013, the Galaxy S4 days) and place the key in the middle, half key, half body( remote part), leave it there the whole day even more.
    Toothbrush stand chargers work also.

Thanks for this. Yes but does it not need to be reprogrammed? Correct?

My Cars
    2003 M5

It's just the key battery is dead, then no. You don't need to reprogram it.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    You might try a rinseless wash process. Way easier to avoid spotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fbAZhrDcw
    I end up paying 5 times the amount for that solution. Customs, import tax, eco tax.... and blah, blah blah.... plus it was the first sunny day in 3 months, rain smudge and moisture is the name of the game here. Even if it's not raining, there is a constant dark-gray "Adams family" cloud above Denmark and everything, I mean everything is wet due to the humidity, there are puddles on the road due to that. Can't wash it in the driveway because I don't have hot water for the pressure washer and at 7°C ( real feel -2°C due to the wind chill effect) I ain't washing no car with cold water. If I go for the only 1 pressure car was in the municipality region of great Copenhagen( ONE F...ing car wash... ONE !!!!) which is aprox 30min away, by the time I get back home I need to wash it again due to the moisture of the road and splashing from the ones in front. Yesterday I was "lucky"... storm Malik blew the clouds away and dried out the road so I rushed to the car wash. Damn Malik had 70km/h wind for the whole weekend.
    And I don't trust no rinse free wash, it's like taking a shower with dry shampoo and wet wipes.

My Cars
    1999 e39 520iA

Don't remember exactly, but even so, programming takes 1 min. You need to press 2 buttons and bingo.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I end up paying 5 times the amount for that solution. Customs, import tax, eco tax.... and blah, blah blah.... plus it was the first sunny day in 3 months, rain smudge and moisture is the name of the game here. Even if it's not raining, there is a constant dark-gray "Adams family" cloud above Denmark and everything, I mean everything is wet due to the humidity, there are puddles on the road due to that. Can't wash it in the driveway because I don't have hot water for the pressure washer and at 7°C ( real feel -2°C due to the wind chill effect) I ain't washing no car with cold water. If I go for the only 1 pressure car was in the municipality region of great Copenhagen( ONE F...ing car wash... ONE !!!!) which is aprox 30min away, by the time I get back home I need to wash it again due to the moisture of the road and splashing from the ones in front. Yesterday I was "lucky"... storm Malik blew the clouds away and dried out the road so I rushed to the car wash. Damn Malik had 70km/h wind for the whole weekend.
    And I don't trust no rinse free wash, it's like taking a shower with dry shampoo and wet wipes.

You don’t have to buy that specific product. That merely demonstrates the process that may work for you.

If you want to solve the problem, you’ll need to put some work in.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log

My Cars
    01 525i
    dumped some K-seal in my beat POS m54 in the parking lot.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by i328 View Post
    dumped some K-seal in my beat POS m54 in the parking lot.
    Bad head gasket ?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Nothing really much new with me. Going to replace the leaky lower rad hose tomorrow that I bought new brand a year ago for the cooling system overhaul (FCP warranty FTW). Plan on replacing VANOS lines, but waiting for the main line to arrive from Schmiedmann on Monday.

Meanwhile...Drugs are bad, mmkay! Not with that mileage!
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...440432676.html
    Last edited by Nfs021; 02-06-2022 at 01:22 AM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    ​yikes! ...and it doesn't even have factory navigation or fold down rear seats!
    Last edited by sleuth255; 02-06-2022 at 09:16 AM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    So, I got all of the dings and dents removed from E39 by one of the best PDR guys I know. However, there was just 1 that he could not remove due to the shape and indent. I do not know what the previous owner did to get this dent, but it's on the right front of the rocker panel. I might just get it removed by a mobile body shop that works with the ding Doctor. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this and want the body to be perfect, so this kind of bugs me.

image0 (4).jpg
    now I understand why you were asking! I wish my passenger side rocker panel was that clean.... Maybe you could pull it out with a stud welder but it does look like the whole front of the panel is torqued tho. Could need to be cut out from behind the dent and a new part fabricated. When I'm in the shop next I'll show this pic to Jim Stevens and get his opinion.
    Last edited by sleuth255; 02-06-2022 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    55C3BEA4-04DA-42E3-A9BA-AB1AA3FDF9FB.jpg4060D4D1-3B2B-41CB-B2A5-8D9522836C51.jpg

Scored a beat up “M” bumper from the junk yard. Also found a paint stripper that seems to work without melting the plastic ��

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Replaced VANOS lines and oil changed last night. Took a DNA sample for Blackstone labs to see how wear is holding up. Replaced the filter for the VANOS pressure regulator too. Same filter that is used and serviceable on the E46 M3. No idea why it was't on the M5? Probably "lifetime" part bs.

Old filter was pretty nasty but easily replaced. While buttoning things up, I replaced the gaskets for the intake tubes and o-ring on the air filter box cover. Very snug putting the MAF's and and intake tubes back on with the new gaskets and rings. Also replaced a missing clamp for the lower air box intake that connects to the tube behind the bumper. So now the entire air intake is sealed properly. 20220208_182900.jpgScreenshot_20220208-211749_Gallery.jpg20220208_193222.jpg20220208_194525.jpg20220208_194558.jpg

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    I'm pretty sure that I just removed those VANOS filters. They're not particularly fine, so if there's debris that large floating in the engine, and it can't be caught by the oil filter, you have bigger issues, methinks.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I just removed those VANOS filters. They're not particularly fine, so if there's debris that large floating in the engine, and it can't be caught by the oil filter, you have bigger issues, methinks.
    Who knows how long those particles have been there being an original filter? Oil filter was all good too.

I mean all oil analysis have been good so far. Need to send the new one out tomorrow. I know you had good analysis too before your rod bearings went. However your car has more miles than mine. I'm at 122k and will get them done along with chain guide rails.

Edit: could also be old sludge that never got through. While I've changed the oil every 4k miles. There's no telling how long between changes the previous owners went. I'll see what oil analysis report says. Then I'll remove the filter after a month to see if there's anything on it.
    Last edited by Nfs021; 02-10-2022 at 09:32 PM.

My Cars
    '99 528iT
    I grabbed a 540i power steering reservoir bracket for giggles today and stuck it in the engine bay. I am not entirely sure why BMW didn't put it over there in all the e39's.....

Needed to relocate it anyways for the supercharger
    '89 535i/5 Zinnober
    an 4Runner

Page 555 of 672 FirstFirst ... 55455505530545546547548549550551552553554555556557558559560561562563564565580605655 ... LastLast