Thread: 1997 e36 m3 s52 cutting out under hard acceleration

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe

1997 e36 m3 s52 cutting out under hard acceleration

Hey guys,

had this happen to me today. I was accelerating hard from 2nd gear 5000rpm shifting into 3rd gear and the car completely bogged down as if everything cut out. I would try and give it some gas and it would not accel at all, had my foot pressing down on the gas pedal and nothing would happen. When i started to pull over and shifted down into 2nd gear i started to move again. Car idles fine and drive fine, but as soon as you get on the throttle and or get into higher rpms shifting into 3rd is does the same thing. i have no CEL, starts fine, drives fine in all gears at lower rpm, but when it bogs down there is zero throttle response until you slow down and let the rpms drop back down. thought maybe it was the battery cables but they are tight and clean and i had no electrical cut out, radio kept working when cutting out.

-Plugs were changed about 5000 miles ago
    -has a rattle when you jump on throttle at about 2000rpm and rattle goes away at about 4000rpm, assuming this is notorious vanos rattle?

Any thoughts?
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    I would try changing out the fuel pump and/or the fuel filter. The fact that this issue arises at high rpm definitely points towards a fueling issue.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Dumb question but it isn't your traction control shutting you down is it? Been there done that.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    Dumb question but it isn't your traction control shutting you down is it? Been there done that.
    Well I originally thought that so i turned it off, still did the same thing when traction was off.
    ()()===[][]===()()