Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GROM is brilliant!

My Cars
    2001 750il
    V
    Last edited by Dunedevil; 09-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    2001 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by quakefiend420 View Post
    Hmm, perhaps. Wouldn't I lose voice dialing and the ability to use the phone button on the wheel if I did that? How does the phone integration work with the grom?
    Since the grom has phone capability, it probably does not play nice with Bmw phone Bluetooth. There are "profiles" within the Bluetooth protocol. I'm sure grom reserves profiles for both audio and phone. If that is the case, it'll be a race between your Bmw phone bt and the grom to see who gets the phone profile first.

My Cars
    750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by sigtwenty View Post
    You would have to do a navigation retrofit harness from a 99 to 01 and code to factory nav to use grom in a 95 to 98 car.

I got someone to make me a lead that will work and have Bluetooth. Hopefully fit it tomorrow

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840Ci, 1985 Fer
    Quote Originally Posted by MIK3750iL View Post
    I got someone to make me a lead that will work and have Bluetooth. Hopefully fit it tomorrow
    Great thread. I look forward to reading about that. I am very happy with the factory Bluetooth, but would really like the ability to play music from my iPhone to the DSP OEM stereo (in my '01), if possible.
    Matthew M.
    North Carolina, USA
    1997 840Ci | 2001 740iL | 1985 308GTSi Quattrovalvole

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by BobieM View Post
    Great thread. I look forward to reading about that. I am very happy with the factory Bluetooth, but would really like the ability to play music from my iPhone to the DSP OEM stereo (in my '01), if possible.
    yes it works with dsp adapter I did mine today trying new stuff to be honest I like it I have oem look blue tooth and was eazy set up all plug and play

My Cars
    E38 750i FL & E36 M3 4DR
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    yes it works with dsp adapter I did mine today trying new stuff to be honest I like it I have oem look blue tooth and was eazy set up all plug and play
    GROM probably is the best solution if you want to stick to OEM looks and have enhanced car capabilities audio system wise. I have GROM for over three years and love this upgrade, considering it the most valuable and beneficial feature in the car.

AUX in, BT stream, BT hands free, USB, DSP support what else would you want

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    I agree with what everyone has said, just be aware that the Bluetooth audio transport does have material compression in it.

It would be nice if Grom were to support one of the more modern codecs, possibly with a firmware update. I did send them an email, I'll post with their reply.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    I agree with what everyone has said, just be aware that the Bluetooth audio transport does have material compression in it.

It would be nice if Grom were to support one of the more modern codecs, possibly with a firmware update. I did send them an email, I'll post with their reply.
    say this in English please

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by quakefiend420 View Post
    Is there a video demo anywhere that you've seen? I'm interested in the unit, but all I seem to find are installation videos.

http://umno-tech.com/catalog/product...02&language=en
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    zedbimmer, in English, when you phone passes the audio via Bluetooth, it does things to it in order to 'fit it' into the processing and the channel that the protocol provides.

This 'doing things' materially degrades the sound quality.

Recent Bluetooth implementations have evolved and the protocol now provides better ways to transmit sound so that it will be less affected, but BOTH the phone AND the receiver have to support these new revisions. Most modern phones do, the GROM BT as of 03/2018 apparently does not.

This is something that is easily discernible even when playing a Pandora stream (medium quality source) on the stock audio system while driving. If you connect the phone via USB, the sound quality improves a lot, because the compression is no longer happening.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    zedbimmer, in English, when you phone passes the audio via Bluetooth, it does things to it in order to 'fit it' into the processing and the channel that the protocol provides.

This 'doing things' materially degrades the sound quality.

Recent Bluetooth implementations have evolved and the protocol now provides better ways to transmit sound so that it will be less affected, but BOTH the phone AND the receiver have to support these new revisions. Most modern phones do, the GROM BT as of 03/2018 apparently does not.

This is something that is easily discernible even when playing a Pandora stream (medium quality source) on the stock audio system while driving. If you connect the phone via USB, the sound quality improves a lot, because the compression is no longer happening.
    I agree 100% I did the test today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12