Thread: How bad can an $800 535i be?

My Cars
    E91 335i

Question How bad can an $800 535i be?

First, the pics:

Now for what is listed in the ad:
    • "runs and drives" but has a "dead battery" because it "sat for a couple of months"
    • window regulators in all but the driver door don't work
    • semi new tires
    • All removed parts come with the car (door panels)

Hello, I found this e28 535i on craigslist for $800 and I am considering it for my first car. Now before you list your (very legitimate) concerns about relying on a $800 28 year old car as a primary form of transportation, I should say that I have no real need for a car at all right now. I have transportation in the form of an e60 530i available to me anytime I need to actually be somewhere. I will most likely not be taking a car to college either. This would be a car for me to learn to drive stick and to fix small things. I would want an older bmw like this over something like a similarly priced corolla because I not only learned quite alot of (the very little that) I know about cars in the context of bmws, but also nearly all of my (incredibly limited) mechanical experience has been with German cars.

There is no mileage listed on the ad.

I expect this car to have some easily fixable $0 flaws (ex, tightening throttle cable) , some flaws that make features of the car no longer work (ex: ac,heated seats, window regulators) that will not impact the cars drivability, and no >$100 flaws that would stop the car from being drivable. What I would certainly not like is to buy this car, only to have a $300 part break that leaves me no choice but to leave it sitting forever (until after college). Am I expecting too much? Will this car eat $100 bills for breakfast? Is it so intricately designed that It would take someone with skills well beyond mine to even keep it running? and most importantly, is it naive of me to see a pot of gold under the clearly faded clearcoat?

I am (hopefully) going to see it today. Ill update with anything great/awful I notice about it. This may come to an abrupt end, however, because the decision is ultimately not mine to make, so I may never be able to go back again to look at it. Until then, your thoughts?
    Last edited by 154e90; 10-12-2015 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    Going to assume you did not buy this car.

Andy

My Cars
    E91 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by south42 View Post
    Going to assume you did not buy this car.

Andy
    No, I eventually wasn't allowed to. Sorry for taking so long for an update. Over 24 hours after posting this I still didn't see it approved by the mods and gave up on this ever getting a response.

Theoretically though, is a sub $1000 e30/e28 really that bad of an idea?

My Cars
    1986 535i
    I would have to say that it generally is not a good idea. I lucked out finding a decent car to start with for 1k. As it is, there is a lot of cleanup to do, and I expect to have expenses related to "deferred maintenance". The fact that it was Alpine White meaning the paint can be cut and buffed instead of needing a respray due to failed clear coat on a metallic made the decision much easier.
    Last edited by mescko; 10-06-2015 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    E91 335i
    Well it seems someone bought it and is re-selling it in a different city for $3k.
    Same rims, rust spots, and plate.
    http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5247060205.html

Edit: my first post seems to have disappeared :l
    Last edited by 154e90; 10-12-2015 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    1965 Glas 1700GT,+ other
    $800 maybe,
    $2950 NO ! h**l no.

Just my opinion.
    Alex

My Cars
    E91 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by 6point3 View Post
    $800 maybe,
    $2950 NO ! h**l no.

Just my opinion.
    Alex
    I agree. I wouldn't go anywhere near it for that ridiculous price.

My Cars
    1982 323i 2003 325it
    I dunno, that color combo is getting harder and harder to find, imo. It'd be a sweet project for the right person looking for a real IS with Cardinal interior. I bought mine for $2500, and it was Alpine/Pacific Blue.
    Past, Present, and Future

1974 BMW 2002tii (RIP)
    1995 BMW 325is w/ FULL S50 swap, track prepped (SOLD)
    1988 BMW 325ix Zinno/Black (RIP)
    1988 BMW 325ix Alpine/Black (Sold)
    1988 BMW 535is Alpine/Pacific Blue (Going Away...)
    1982 BMW 323i (Current Project/Paper Weight)
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    1988 BMW 535i
    I found an excellent condition 1988 535i with minor rust on the rocker panel. Picked it up 4 days ago (my first BMW). Everything works except for the rear passenger window. Has a minor oil leak from the valve cover gasket which I will be swapping out next week. Good luck with your search!