BAVToys

Thread: Halo Headlight Flicker When engine Runs

My Cars
    2007 120d M Sport

Halo Headlight Flicker When engine Runs

Hello All,

I have a E92. Bought it a couple weeks ago and already had Halo Headlight conversion fitted.

The guy sold it me, informing that they weren't working so i knew full well that some work would need to be done.

At first, only the side halo ring would illuminate, nothing else.

Today I had an Auto Electrician come round to chop and change some wires. It all worked fine then (but we never had the engine on before he left!), dipped lights (angel eyes) were coming on, main beam comes on, and high beam comes on when required.

What i have now noticed is that when i turn the engine on, the main beam lights self level, illuminated and OK, but then they start flickering rapidly, both at the same time and constant while the engine is running.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

The lights seem to be genuine BMW, they have BMW stickers all over it, and made in Spain imprinted on the plastic so i presume they are not aftermarket cheap ones. The fact that the lights work ok with the engine off makes me think that its not a bulb issue.

I'm out of ideas and trying to get the electrician back out to see what he can do, but thought i'd give him the heads up on what to do if anyone has an idea or has experienced this before.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a video of it happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9RCVeL-nl8

My Cars
    2007 120d M Sport
    Fixed now… added a little circuit to the lighting with a relay and all working fine

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    For what it's worth, I had an e91 that had the flickering (and really only under engine load): it was old bulbs that were about to go. New bulbs fixed the issue.

When xenon bulbs get old, they require more power to ignite the gas ... and as such, the ballast overheats and shuts off, then turns back on when it cools off (you know how street lights go out and come back on, on their own?) ... except automotive bulbs do this very very quickly so you get the flicker.

My Cars
    1989 750iL, 2007 530Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    For what it's worth, I had an e91 that had the flickering (and really only under engine load): it was old bulbs that were about to go. New bulbs fixed the issue.

When xenon bulbs get old, they require more power to ignite the gas ... and as such, the ballast overheats and shuts off, then turns back on when it cools off (you know how street lights go out and come back on, on their own?) ... except automotive bulbs do this very very quickly so you get the flicker.
    Would have been great to know what "little circuit" was added!