Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Experience with FCP Euro "Lifetime Warranty?

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Its the conveyer systems used today that destroys the package not the people.
    Better box choice and more fill would help quite a bit.
    Good to see the concern and follow up.

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post

This is true. The automation systems especially then they are at capacity are pretty good at demolishing packages. The boxes we use are pretty sturdy but if there isn't enough packing material inside the package to fill the void the void is the first thing that makes the package fall apart. It's all downhill from there unfortunately.
    Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Free Shipping on $49+, and Hassle-Free Returns.
    FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT

I don't buy it. In fact I suspect the loaders are the big problem -- they're less experienced than the drivers and they're under pressure to do things quickly. Given how slow UPS ground service is compared to DHL and USPS I'd bet they apply more pressure on their employees than other carriers. Up until earlier this year I hadn't had much in the way of problems with United Package Smashers. The past few months have been nothing but problems with United Package Smashers. Every package (FCP or otherwise) has been damaged and then misrouted or misdelivered. Judging by the human interaction I've had with them recently they may as well have hired a whole family of glue sniffing narcoleptics.

My latest order from FCP arrived today via USPS (wish you guys would discount that!) without even a scratch on it. And, yes, there was more fill* and nothing appeared damaged inside -- although ideally the wheel center cap would've been bubble wrapped a little bit or something.

* Although, let's face it, not a ton of fill and paper isn't a great packing material in the first place. The boxes inside had nothing so you could hear the tensioner bits (lousy packaging from INA) rattling around inside. Not really a problem though unless you beat the hell out of the packages like United Package Smashers does.
    Last edited by blarf; 09-19-2018 at 06:50 PM.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    * Although, let's face it, not a ton of fill and paper isn't a great packing material in the first place.
    I dunno, I think the kraft paper is much better than those little plastic air bags. Ship something even somewhat heavy with them and you're not going to have to slice them before throwing them in the trash, they'll all be flat anyway. Plus I often reuse the paper for masking paper.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    I dunno, I think the kraft paper is much better than those little plastic air bags. Ship something even somewhat heavy with them and you're not going to have to slice them before throwing them in the trash, they'll all be flat anyway. Plus I often reuse the paper for masking paper.
    I miss the styrofoam peanuts. Yeah they're awful for the environment... but they work. I don't really care one way or another as long as there's enough material. INA though... wtf. They include a cotter pin presumably to keep the one pulley attached to the assembly, of course it never stays attached.

Three more things while I'm nitpicking about FCP: I'm getting shipping notifications with order numbers that don't match up with anything (nnnnnnn vs Rnnnnnnnnn), the order date doesn't show up on the invoice detail page on your site, and the emailed invoices don't list the shipping cost. Major issues, I'm sure.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Oh people throw stuff for sure but the conveyer systems are insane. Some systems run at 60 feet per second and your 5 lb. package is in with a couple thousand
    50 to 70 lb. packages. Unless someone is hurt the conveyer belt won't be turned off for any reason. Fedex can sort over 2 million pkg's in 90 minutes at their Memphis hub nightly. Your little package gets stuffed in five to ten different trucks with several thousand other package's before you find it on your porch.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Three more things while I'm nitpicking about FCP: I'm getting shipping notifications with order numbers that don't match up with anything (nnnnnnn vs Rnnnnnnnnn), the order date doesn't show up on the invoice detail page on your site, and the emailed invoices don't list the shipping cost. Major issues, I'm sure.
    I noticed that too. I guess I just assumed that with the date selection of delivery the actual method might be shifted...
    Personally I love the html receipt for the order showing parts and images followed by the html notification of shipment containing ascii text...

I miss the VIP program. I still wear the shirt but the various other benefits were even better: shipping, discount, priority, and that stamp. Never really understood why that program stopped. Of course all of us were probably VIP members...

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Oh people throw stuff for sure but the conveyer systems are insane. Some systems run at 60 feet per second and your 5 lb. package is in with a couple thousand
    50 to 70 lb. packages. Unless someone is hurt the conveyer belt won't be turned off for any reason. Fedex can sort over 2 million pkg's in 90 minutes at their Memphis hub nightly. Your little package gets stuffed in five to ten different trucks with several thousand other package's before you find it on your porch.
    Sure. And the USPS has pioneered a ton of automation, but they still manage to, you know, not beat the ever living snot out of every package headed my way. All of the package carriers need to move fast, but even when I ship to a different city to ensure things get routed through a different distribution center... UPS finds a way.

Meanwhile here's what the tensioner from FCP looked like when I pulled it out of the box.

IMG_8672.jpg

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by FCPEuro View Post
    If you don't mind, can you send me some pictures of this if you have them to gareth1@fcpeuro.com along with your order numbers. I want to at least review the orders in question and backtrack them to the very beginning.
    Gareth - I've emailed you the three order numbers as well as that picture of the tensioner pulley. It'd be great if you guys can ship one out that's new-in-the-box.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    ..... Every package (FCP or otherwise) has been damaged and then misrouted or misdelivered. Judging by the human interaction I've had with them recently they may as well have hired a whole family of glue sniffing narcoleptics.

My latest order from FCP arrived today via USPS (wish you guys would discount that!) without even a scratch on it. And, yes, there was more fill* and nothing appeared damaged inside -- although ideally the wheel center cap would've been bubble wrapped a little bit or something.
    So it sounds like your complaints should be thrown toward the shippers and not FCP. Just sayin!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I miss the styrofoam peanuts. Yeah they're awful for the environment...
    The starch peanuts seem pretty awesome. 98% as good as the styrene ones but you can melt 'em in the bathtub with some hot water. Of course dumping all that sugar/starch down the drain probably is terrible for the septic processing plant so if its not one thing its another... But I do like it when I get those...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    I dunno, I think the kraft paper is much better than those little plastic air bags.
    Grrrrrrrrr. HATE the stupid airbags and all the time it takes to stab / slice holes in them so they don't take up a whole trashbag. We are "PAYT" with pay-bags you have to buy so volume is everything, if I don't do that it'll cost me a few bucks to throw away empty air that Amazon sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    I miss the VIP program.
    Yeah I forgot about VIP! Seems like basically FCP said 'instead of having a loyalty program for our big customers lets just give everybody a killer warranty so even if they only buy occasionally they'll always want to use us...'
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    So it sounds like your complaints should be thrown toward the shippers and not FCP. Just sayin!
    Little from column A, little from column B. But Gareth already covered that.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    The starch peanuts seem pretty awesome. 98% as good as the styrene ones but you can melt 'em in the bathtub with some hot water. Of course dumping all that sugar/starch down the drain probably is terrible for the septic processing plant so if its not one thing its another... But I do like it when I get those...
    Eh you can melt the plastic ones too with a little heat and petroleum... although in all fairness I like waiting until late night to deal with the air bags. Then it's just like supersized bubble wrap fun. Normal bubble wrap isn't loud enough to compete with my roommate's snoring.

Yeah I forgot about VIP! Seems like basically FCP said 'instead of having a loyalty program for our big customers lets just give everybody a killer warranty so even if they only buy occasionally they'll always want to use us...'
    I rather like making the benefits available to casual customers. It will, however, be interesting to see how the more "abusive" behavior like warrantying consumables will affect the price / inventory.

My Cars
    1999 540iT
    Somewhat related but probably more funny than anything...happened to catch the FedEx guy yesterday (my office is at my house) while he was dropping off FCP Euro boxes for my 530. He had already put them next to the garage, and I could hear him messing around in the back of the truck. I also noticed there was another package behind the truck. I wasn't sure if it was mine or not, as I didn't know how many boxes my shipment was. He came out, we chatted for a quick second, I stuck my head into the back of my 530 and I heard a loud crash. I thought he had hit another car in the driveway when he was backing up. Turns out he had just driven over the box that was behind the truck that I had seen. He got out, said "oh lawd, I done ran over one of my damn boxes", threw it in the back and headed on. The takeaway is this is why you get boxes all the time that look like they have been carried into battle by William Wallace.

My Cars
    '02 530i w/Sport

Grrrrrrrrr. HATE the stupid airbags and all the time it takes to stab / slice holes in them so they don't take up a whole trashbag.
    Not sure of your method, but what I've wound up doing is rolling the long line of airbags into a roll then taking a sharp knife and plunging. I can usually kill all of the bags in about 5 sec or less. Of course, then there's the time to roll it up.....

Eventually I'll slice my hand....

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    I miss the VIP program. I still wear the shirt but the various other benefits were even better: shipping, discount, priority, and that stamp. Never really understood why that program stopped. Of course all of us were probably VIP members...
    Don't quote me, but I remember this being a discussion not too long ago in regards to bringing it back in some shape or form.

Sure. And the USPS has pioneered a ton of automation, but they still manage to, you know, not beat the ever living snot out of every package headed my way. All of the package carriers need to move fast, but even when I ship to a different city to ensure things get routed through a different distribution center... UPS finds a way.

Meanwhile here's what the tensioner from FCP looked like when I pulled it out of the box.

IMG_8672.jpg
    Gareth - I've emailed you the three order numbers as well as that picture of the tensioner pulley. It'd be great if you guys can ship one out that's new-in-the-box.
    Eww, doesn't look pretty. I was out of the office in the afternoon. Will take a look and track down the email.

Update:
    We're shipping out another tensioner assembly today. I spoke with a rep from Schaeffler and it turns out that the grease on the outside of the bearing is to protect the seal against the backing of the tensioner assembly. However, the other damage to the pulley such as the pitting seen is preventable from adding fill to the INA box. I made sure that void fill was added inside the box as well as the package itself. This one should show up nicely for you (pending no one runs it over with a truck).
    Last edited by FCPEuro; 09-21-2018 at 10:07 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by FireTumbleweed View Post
    Not sure of your method, but what I've wound up doing is rolling the long line of airbags into a roll then taking a sharp knife and plunging. I can usually kill all of the bags in about 5 sec or less. Of course, then there's the time to roll it up.....

Eventually I'll slice my hand....
    LOL. "Best use of an animated emojii award for September 21 2018".

I use a nice sharp pick tool out of my tool chest. Similarly I wad them up, then stab stab stab stab... goes pretty quick and I also tend to get multiple bags per stab. I used to use knives but, aside from the fear of ending up in a Jerry Garcia situation, I just found the pick pierced easier, while even sharp box knives preferred to be sliced, which was a little more time consuming and dangerous.

Don't quote me, but I remember this being a discussion not too long ago in regards to bringing it back in some shape or form.
    Ooops, I quoted you.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by drivinhard View Post
    Somewhat related but probably more funny than anything...happened to catch the FedEx guy yesterday (my office is at my house) while he was dropping off FCP Euro boxes for my 530. He had already put them next to the garage, and I could hear him messing around in the back of the truck. I also noticed there was another package behind the truck. I wasn't sure if it was mine or not, as I didn't know how many boxes my shipment was. He came out, we chatted for a quick second, I stuck my head into the back of my 530 and I heard a loud crash. I thought he had hit another car in the driveway when he was backing up. Turns out he had just driven over the box that was behind the truck that I had seen. He got out, said "oh lawd, I done ran over one of my damn boxes", threw it in the back and headed on. The takeaway is this is why you get boxes all the time that look like they have been carried into battle by William Wallace.
    That is incredible. I needed a good laugh this morning.

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Ooops, I quoted you.
    I was kind of hoping/expecting someone would quote me using the quote feature. Thank you for not letting me down.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    I use a nice sharp pick tool out of my tool chest. Similarly I wad them up, then stab stab stab stab... goes pretty quick and I also tend to get multiple bags per stab. I used to use knives but, aside from the fear of ending up in a Jerry Garcia situation, I just found the pick pierced easier, while even sharp box knives preferred to be sliced, which was a little more time consuming and dangerous.
    Stay away from the heroin and my friend's morbidly obese mom and you stand a good chance of not ending up like Jerry Garcia. Also, seriously, get a few pair of reusable cut/abrasion resistant gloves. I get a pair of HyFlex ones every time Zoro sends out a coupon after stabbing myself a few times with picks and whatnot. Plus they make interior work a lot less bloody.

I made sure that void fill was added inside the box as well as the package itself. This one should show up nicely for you (pending no one runs it over with a truck).
    Oh god don't encourage them.

The grease thing is interesting as the very similar Continental branded unit was shipped dry. Obviously it's just a rebadged INA part... and it was the wrong damn part. But still.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Just throwing this out there...you guys have shipped heavy metal water pumps to me on top of the gaskets in the same box, as well as trans filters and gasket kits with stuff on top, resulting in damaged WP and trans pan gaskets and you guys ended up having to send me replacement gaskets 3x now.
    Love fcp tho, wasnt a big deal any of the times.

My Cars
    z3
    Id love the VIP program to come back. I mean I buy from FCP anyways. But Danny has a cool FCP Euro shirt and I want a cool FCP Euro shirt

...got any old shirts laying around?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    How DID you get a VIP shirt BITD? Was it like you bought at least $5k in parts in 45days or something? I was a VIP but never got nuttin like that.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    How DID you get a VIP shirt BITD? Was it like you bought at least $5k in parts in 45days or something? I was a VIP but never got nuttin like that.
    Back when I was invited to be the in the program it was just part of it. Iirc it took a long time... this was before they had their shirt design... and there were like 4 emails gathering various data points. It seemed complicated at the time...

As for the thresholds: they started the program and I qualified after the TCG on the 540. So probably less than $5k but then again with all the WYAT add ons ... Then, like a corner dealer they hooked me with shipping and the discount through VIP.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    FWIW, I've never had a problem with a single box of parts from FCP, and I've ordered a lot. I also have used several different shipping options, so obviously, your mileage may vary.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I’ve never had any problems.... No, I did, Was a stupid mistake on my part, I sent them an email, they overnighted me the right part, before the weekend. Awesome service!!!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast