Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: The DEFINITIVE guide for selecting & sizing TIRES for PERFORMANCE

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX

The DEFINITIVE guide for selecting & sizing TIRES for PERFORMANCE

Hey guys,

After years of testing and compiling data, I finally condensed everything I have learned down into one article on How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE.

This article disproves a lot of common misconceptions (actually, almost every aspect of the tire from the UTQG and temperature to the labeled width of the tire) and challenges the typical thought process of how people look for new tires and gives a better alternative that will make sizing wheels and tires much easier in the future with less trial and error. The information here applies both for street cars as well as dedicated track cars.

"The most important part of your car is not the engine, suspension, or brakes. It’s the TIRES!!! This is because your car can only perform as well as the capability of its tires. I’m often asked which tire is best and what size to buy. In this article I discuss my methods for choosing and properly sizing the right tires. I’m not into the “hella-flush” or “stance” scenes so this article is focused towards those who care about the PERFORMANCE of their car, whether on the street or on the track."

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx

Enjoy!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Just for giggles I went and compared many of the tires available for the 275/35/19 size and most of them are all 10 inches plus wide when it comes to tread width. The only tires I found that are 9.5 are the Michelin PSS for BMW, the Hankook Ventus V12 and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Just for giggles I went and compared many of the tires available for the 275/35/19 size and most of them are all 10 inches plus wide when it comes to tread width. The only tires I found that are 9.5 are the Michelin PSS for BMW, the Hankook Ventus V12 and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2.
    After a quick search:

For example, a 275/35-19 typically has a 10" tread width and a 10.9" section width. But there are many exceptions:

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2: 9.4" tread width
    Michelin PSS (BMW): 9.5" tread width
    Michelin PSC2: 9.5" tread width (11" section width)
    Bridgestone RE760: 9.8" tread width
    Hankook R-S3: 10.2" tread width
    Continental DW: 10.4" tread width (10.5" section width)
    Yokohama AD08R: 10.6" tread width
    BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2: 10.7" tread width

They seem to be all over the place with a 1.3" spread for tread width and a 0.5" spread for section width.
    Last edited by Stuntman; 09-14-2015 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    It doesn't even look like manufacturers can get their own specs to line up from what I am seeing.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    09 M3, 97 Viper, 92 NSX
    Hey guys,

Did you hate MotoI!'s old layout with a black background? Did you also hate the lack of a quick-tab for a page function? (I know I did). Now their site is on a completely different platform. Be sure to check it out!