Thread: Any recommendations for diagnostic equipment?

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i

Any recommendations for diagnostic equipment?

I have a 3 warning light "trifecta" issue (as it is apparently called), as described in my post here:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ttery-replaced

To troubleshoot this problem, I think want to get some diagnostic equipment that can tell me if my wheel speed sensors are working, and am looking for recommendations. I use the word "equipment" broadly in that it could be a dedicated tool or a cable that plugs into my laptop and some software to go with it. The closest thing to this that I have used is a general purpose OBD-2 code reader. The laptop approach is presumably more powerful and flexible, but a dedicated device does have some advantages too. I also have non-BMW vehicles (Toyota, Dodge, Chevy, Nissan) and if it worked with them too it would be preferred (all have OBD-2 ports).

Oh, and did I mention I'm cheap? (Otherwise I'd just be taking the car to the dealer.) So price is a significant factor.

Is there something out there that will show the wheel speed sensor readings? Any recommendations?

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    I've been looking at the iCarSoft i910. Look for it on Amazon - add "BMW" to get the one for our cars. Not sure if the cost is worth it to me because it doesn't do everything I'd want (customizing the stuff that can be programmed). Also it is unclear as to whether it clears *every* code.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I got one that communicated to my phone, I wouldn't recommend it.

It just ended up being a price gouge, needing to add this and that through the app costs $15 though it seemed like it was included and having a limit on cars means not being able to use it on other vehicles in an emergency. And what devices it ran on was pretty specific + getting rid of device means repurchasing add ons I think.

It is nice having the history and the interface is good, though.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Look up ...Creator C310 .... It's on eBay.. Saw a post which said he had good results. I have the notebook/software for resolving BMW car issues (INPA/SS Progman etc) but have on on order now just to see if it's useful for some error diagnostic/error code fault clearing. According to tech info it's capable of doing some live stream of data... How much will be seen. Cost is $81 cents.. Much cheaper in U.S. dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Quote Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
    Look up ...Creator C310 .... It's on eBay.. Saw a post which said he had good results. I have the notebook/software for resolving BMW car issues (INPA/SS Progman etc) but have on on order now just to see if it's useful for some error diagnostic/error code fault clearing. According to tech info it's capable of doing some live stream of data... How much will be seen. Cost is $81 Cdn.. Much cheaper in U.S. dollars. Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I do like the form factor of the iCarSoft i910 and Creator C310. I guess I would have to know that it would read the wheel speed sensors before I spent my money. But that level of information about the product seems to be in short supply. I'm interested to hear how it works out for you.

I don't really want to spend $389, but there is a guy on ebay selling a refurbished laptop with the whole suite of software and interface cable. "BMW Diagnostice Laptop", ebay item 301735483552. Might not be as user friendly as other solutions, but certainly sounds like it would do everything I could ever want to do and would presumably save a great deal of time versus trying to cobble something together yourself. Any comments on that approach?

There is also this software at bimmersoftware.com which is free unless you want it to log info to a file. But I suspect it only talks to the engine controller (DME). Which in my case would be insufficient.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Had a look at it.... To me the price is right for the system we are getting. To really get into engine and the various systems INPA software is the way to go. The system you're getting is basically identical to what I'm using.... Except you have a much bigger screen compared to my little notebook.

With INPA you can see exactly what the engine is doing... Brake pressures/ engine rpm/engine temp to name just a few...

My Cars
    z3
    Unless you know how to use the software, it can cause some very expensive problems. If your only purpose for buying this is diagnosing the wheel speed sensor... buy the wheel speed sensor. I don't quite follow your logic with wanting to spend $300-500 on software to diagnose a $100 part. If its something you intend to use in the future, I'd recommend buying a quality unit. The dealer software that comes pre-installed on some of those laptops is the best stuff out there because it is exactly what the dealers used and the dealer software plus the other couple pieces of software in the suite are the most powerful diagnostic tools for the cars, but again, you can have catastrophic results if you mess things up in the system; ie. "brick" the car.

To communicate with the wheel speed sensor you will likely need one of the more advanced units. INPA and PA Soft will read wheel speed sensors, I think the Creative tool is supposed to but my friend who has that tool has never been able to diagnose speed sensors with it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Agree that you need to learn to use INPA and the other software that comes in that suite.....

Just read post from beginning... Google ....BMW Trifecta... and check your battery voltage .... It may be as simple as replacing your battery....

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Yes, I've already replaced the battery. The car went from starting fine with no problems to not even coming close to starting after 15 minutes of driving then parking it and going into the store for 5 minutes. Battery voltage (measured at the actual battery terminals) was 9.5 volts. So I replaced the battery. The now car starts fine but has the 3 warning lights. The warning lights were not present before the battery replacement.

I plan to keep the car for at least another 5 years and therefore I expect that I will have a few more problems with it, which I will want to diagnose and repair myself, if at all possible.

For this particular problem, I could definitely start "throwing parts at it", and that has certainly entered my mind. If I buy the OEM parts, the best price I've seen is about $90/$100 per sensor (front/rear) if I don't concern myself with shipping costs. The left and right rear are interchangeable. The L and R front sensors are not. So, worst case would be 2 x $90 + $100 = $280 to make sure I replaced the presumed one bad sensor. That's ***if*** a wheel speed sensor is really the problem. Now, I have also seen wheel speed sensors that supposedly fit my Z4 on Amazon for about $15 each. So I could buy 3 of those for $45. That's pretty cheap compared to a $389 laptop that is probably just going to tell me to replace the $15 part anyway.

But, I do worry about it being something other than a wheel speed sensor. A case in point is the 1998 Z3 I used to have. The check engine light was on and my general purpose OBD-2 code reader told me there was a problem with fuel injector circuit number 2. I took the "throwing parts at it" approach and bought a set of fuel injectors. I got a "good deal" on the internet (turns out they wouldn't even squirt fuel at all). Moved injectors around, checked wiring, etc but never could figure it out. Finally, in desperation, I took it to the dealer and their diagnostic computer said there was a problem with the evaporative emission control system. They replaced a valve and all was good. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fuel injector. The only thing I could figure was that the car was reporting the wrong code to the OBD-2 port. (A second general purpose code reader reported the same error code as my code reader, so I know it was not just a problem with my code reader.)

So I am torn as to what approach makes the most sense for me:

- For $45 worth of cheap wheel speed sensors, I figure I have probably a 65% chance of fixing the problem.
    - For $389 I could have a tool that would help me figure out exactly what part has failed, and then I still have to buy the part. But the tool could help diagnose other problems in the future, plus it could register my new battery and probably turn off the stupid seatbelt chime that drives me crazy (I always wear my seatbelt, but don't put it on before I put the key in). This tool could be dangerous in my hands, but I am actually not too worried about that.
    - Or maybe there is a cheaper (and perhaps more universal?) diagnostic tool.

No easy answer, I guess. I was unrealistically hoping someone would say "buy this $20 cable and download this free chunk of software and you're good to go. And by the way it will add 100 horsepower to your engine when you click the Add Power button." Hey, a guy can dream, right?

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    My considered answer... Buy the diagnostic laptop....

As you say it will help diagnosis potential issues in the future. At present... You will be able to clear the error codes that have been set by the low voltage issue/battery. I'm not sure if "driving cycles" can clear them. I always cleared them with my software. Error codes on the modules can't be cleared with the hand held code reader ( engine codes can be cleared...). Disconnecting connectors without disconnecting battery can set error codes/faults. There is a single wire connector in the battery well that goes to the battery power terminal (depending on your year) that powers the SRS system. If that is slightly dirty/corroded it will change the resistance/measured voltage and can then set a "fault" land causing your airbag light to illuminate. Disconnecting to clean it sets a code also. Clearing the code requires software to reset.

So.... Given the cost to have a dealer or independent clear error codes..... The laptop is cheaper in the long run.

And Z4's don't need their batteries registered.

Buy some brake cleaner... Remove each wheel sensor and spray/clean with the brake cleaner. Do the same with the wheel sensor "hole"... Spray generously and wash out any dust etc.... Cheaper than buying sensors which likely aren't defective.

I have no issue with throwing parts at a car as often it's cheaper than paying the dealer.... But usually when I do that it's because I know that the part has failed or is "dodgy"....

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I asked one of the eBay sellers of the C310 if it would show a readout of the wheel speed sensors, and he said that it does not have that function. So, that tool would unfortunately not work for the problem I am trying to diagnose. I imagine the other handheld tool probably has the same limitations, since one seems to be a copy of the other, based on looking at the user manuals.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Makes a decision easier doesn't it...

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I have gotten conflicting reports on the iCarSoft i910. One Amazon customer said it would not read the wheel speed sensors, and another said it did on his 2004 X5. I sent an inquiry to the manufacturer several days ago and have not received a response. Regardless, I decided to purchase the diagnostic laptop and should receive it in a few days. It was expensive, but I think I will probably get my money's worth out of it in the long run.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    You will enjoy the abilities of the software that is coming... When you open INPA select your car model and have fun exploring.... Just go slow and don't click on anything that says "...save..." in its wording until you know what you are doing. To get the information you want you need to select the engine installed in your car... You then have a choice of analog or digital readout... Analog gets you bar graphs ...of the various readouts.

If you find yourself unsure... Use any button that says "exit" or anything similar.... Much safer than doing something you might regret...

My Cars
    Many
    INPA will not do ANY coding or re-configuring of the modules or programming.
    It is just a diagnostic tool that will clear any error codes.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Agree that INPA doesn't do any coding to modules... Advice to not save was a general warning about using "save" when unsure about software.

That said.... Pretty sure that somewhere deep in INPA there was something that could be pulled up/amended/saved....or something similar that gave me pause... so that I was nervous enough to exit as safely/quickly as I could. This was under the category of " having no clue" about what I had just done while "exploring"... I've done the "wonder what happens if I press this" more than once....and usually nothing good comes of it..... I'd like to think I've got wiser since those days. At least when it comes to playing with the software programs that can interface with my Z....

My Cars
    BMW z4 3.0i m54b30 man.
    INPA can do coding. But not all coding. For some you need for example NCS expert.

What you can do with inpa (for example) is change code the nav screen language, or on some engines do injector coding.
    It is not just diagnostic& error code clearing.

I'm now experimenting with Rheingold (=ISTA), which I have now running very conveniently on a tablet (win8.1).
    But that seems to be slower than INPA, it seems to read massive amount of data from the obd2 port through my slow kkl interface

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If anyone is looking for a code reader/scanning tool, please check out the link below. We're happy to answer any questions that you may have.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...scan-tools.htm

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST