Thread: electrical nightmare - no interior signal, high beam, ac , door chimes read on!!

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4

electrical nightmare - no interior signal, high beam, ac , door chimes read on!!

ok 2005 2.5 AT

flashers work, outside only, nothing inside. no clicking nothing
    signal lights work, outside only, nothing inside
    AC comp wont engage
    SRS light is on
    if you start the car with door open - the door open icon stays lit and door chimes no matter what. only way to turn off is disco battery or Start car with door closed and turn off car
    If you start car with door closed, no chimes but when you open the door. the door open icon does not light up, but the interior lights come on.
    Speedometer back light won't come on.
    Highbeam works but no blue indicator.
    Keyless lock ONLY works after the interior lights turn off.

I have removed the radio and problem still exist. I removed all fuses and unplugged battery over night. Now I can see the VIN on the oBD 2 scanner. yesterday, I couldn't see the VIN and the monitors were all in "READY" even after battery disco'd which we all know should be wiped out and you must do the drive cycle. Now it shows only 3 monitors ready.

I am at a lost whats causing all of this.
    Last edited by SecretAznSauce; 09-08-2015 at 11:59 AM.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    You have so many things electrical going on..... I would check your battery voltage to see if it's low. There are so many issues caused by low voltage... Google ..Z4 battery issues.... and .... Automotive battery voltage .... The last one will give you links to articles on what the battery voltage should be. Make sure you measure the battery voltage hours later/following morning after being run. As well as having a battery with suspect voltage... Your alternator may also have some issues. Measure the alternator output when the engine is running. Also rev up the engine and see what the voltage output is doing. Google .. Alternator voltage issues.... If the voltage increases/decreases with the engine speed... You have an alternator/voltage regulator issue.

You may have a combination of battery/alternator issues.

The battery low voltage threshold that causes issues is way higher than the battery voltage required to start the car in mild temperatures.....

Let us know what you determine....

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    And if there are battery/alternator issues you need to get those items fixed and all error codes cleared before you can follow up on any other issues remaining...

Depending on the codes... You may need to get the dealer/independent garage that has the appropriate software... To clear the codes. Engine codes can be cleared by your handheld OBDII reader ( did I write that correctly?) but BMW modules need the appropriate software to do so.... and given all your issues.... There has to have been error codes written to the various modules.

You can't properly diagnose follow on issues if you haven't started with a "clean" module.... Any errors you see in a module could have pre-existed or been caused by the issue you just fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    VF Z4, G-Power/ESS Z4Ms
    When my alternator failed on my Z4M, the car's coding became corrupt. The car thought it was an automatic, couldn't detect the shift lever's position (because it's actually a manual), and the car wouldn't start.
    VF Engineering Z4 3.0i | ESS VT2-500 Z4M | G-Power SK I Z4M | 996tt

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    issue found and resolved. FYI for those having this issue. the SIM ( safety information module) or SRS main unit under the armrest is the culprit. see all the corrosion

b.jpgc.jpg

Looks like the PO must had left the top down. I just bought this car on the cheap. like 5000$ cheap. gonna try to take it apart and fix and pin out the cable connect before ordering a new 650$ unit. with unit unplugged, everything works again. ac, steering buttons, bluetooth, lights, signals... everything. of course I have no airbags..

a.jpg
    Last edited by SecretAznSauce; 09-09-2015 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    These cars are certainly starting to develop some strange issues... glad you got it sorted out

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    I'm curious as to how it may have gotten so corroded. Is it a roadster, did the car get rained into with the top down? Since you say it is under the console, could it have been perspiration, or perhaps liquid was spilled? Or do you think it happened without any external cause? (Hoping its not the last one...)

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    From the looks of the car.. Id say hard rain... The seat backs are fully stained

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAznSauce View Post
    From the looks of the car.. Id say hard rain... The seat backs are fully stained
    Thanks. *whew* for me, sorry it happened to you.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    It seems to be a fairly common issue. I am surprised BMW put these items in that location as it has very poor protection if the roof is down. They should have placed the modules in a waterproof box so if it did get rained on, they wouldn't get wet.

My Cars
    Many
    The module its self did not cause this issue. It was a casualty of the water intrusion in the connector. The module may or may not be faulty.

This particular casualty is a KNOWN issue since the beginning and has happened many, many times.

The real cause is the K-bus was grounding out or shorting to another signal.

The Safety and Information Module (SIM) rides on the K-bus and the K-bus is controlled by the IKE/Kombi module (instrument cluster). The IKE/Kombi is the GATEWAY between the other buss's in the car.
    It appears that the faulty connector was taking down the entire K-bus network.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shipkiller; 09-16-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i Sedan
    SOLVED!!! I had all the same exact symptoms SecertAznSauce described and discovered my airbag module was just as corroded as the pics in this thread. Advise all to at least check it out.. Just unplug it and everything works properly !!! Be advised your airbags won't work unless you replace the module. Also, you dont have to remove the entire center console to just unplug the airbag module, just need to remove the upper portion between the seat backs...kinda tough if you cant get the top down, otherwise it can be accomplished at home. There are some youtube videos on removing the center console, but watch the latter portion to see how to remove only what you need to move...I learned the hard way!!! Good luck.
    Last edited by tja623; 10-30-2020 at 04:43 PM.