RM European Auto Parts

Thread: BMW 325i E46 Transmission problem limp mode 5th gear

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i Sedan

BMW 325i E46 Transmission problem limp mode 5th gear

I have a 2005 325i BMW E46 automatic sedan and have recently experienced the COG OF DEATH!! My car goes into limp mode while driving in automatic mode when the car reaches 5th gear. If I let the car sit for a minute and restart the engine, the light goes off but I encounter the same problem if I continue to drive in automatic mode. I can drive in manual mode through gears 1-4 all around town all day long with no problems and no limp mode. However, if I shift into 5th gear, the gear does not engage and again the car goes into limp mode. The videos below show exactly what happens when I drive in manual and automatic.

https://youtu.be/aI-Ksc_yoi4

https://youtu.be/jJjblHDiPB0

I do have the OEM battery in the car. It is almost 2016 now and the car is a 2005. Could this possibly cause of the problem I am experiencing? My goal is to spend the least amount of money to fix this problem (obviously) so I haven't changed the battery yet because the car runs fine except for the mentioned 5th gear problem.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That "Service Engine Soon" can be causing your issues with the transmission. Get all the computers scanned for codes to see why they are not happy. The lights are there to tell you there is a problem with the car, and unlike a 1980's car where you could listen to the motor and set the timing, you just cannot do that with modern cars anymore.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1. You have to have all the computers scanned, with a good BMW diag computer. The DME, the ABS, and the EGS (trans computer) will all likely have codes which are important to diagnosing this.

Um, how many miles does the car have, and how many times has the transmission had it's oil and filter changed?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471