Thread: How to know when it's time for a new fuel pump?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325e sedan

How to know when it's time for a new fuel pump?

I have seen threads herein where people mention the fuel pump making certain sounds, etc. Is it supposed to make any sound? My car is running fine and the fuel pump is just about the only thing I have not changed or upgraded in the three years since I inherited my 1987 325e ("Altweiss") from my brother. Car runs great, no noises from the fuel system. What sounds/symptoms should I be on the lookout for? Thanks.

My Cars
    Spec E30, 91 318i
    Normally it is replaced right after your car is rolled up on the back of a flat bed on the side of the road.

My Cars
    87 325is
    If the in-tank transfer pump is bad or not working correctly or the filter is clogged the high pressure pump will have to work too hard and will make an obvious sound that you will be able to hear when the engine is idling.

A worn high pressure pump can also be noisy even when the rest of the system is operating properly. Or it may not make any noise, but a check of fuel rail pressure while driving can reveal that the pump isn't able to keep up with the engine's demands. Lastly, the check valve in the pump can fail which will cause the engine to have to crank longer than normal before the rail pressure comes up.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1984 325e
    If the transfer pump fails, approximately how long will it take before the main pump needs to be replaced due to the added strain on it? Are we talking 20 some miles, or 200 some miles, or more?
    Last edited by Agent 86; 09-14-2015 at 10:15 AM.