Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Progression of the mspeedE39

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i

Cool The Progression of the mspeedE39

Greetings all!
    I was looking for a new members thread but "no cigar" so I'll just jump right in!
    I just purchased my first BMW from a friend in Victoria, BC. It's a '97 E39 with a few trick mods. I have only driven the car once and that was about 8 years ago! There's a longer story to this which I can share later. I have just trailered it home to Port Alberni, BC and will change the registration, get plates etc this week. In the meantime it will stay in the trailer.
    I also own an extensively modified '02 Mazda Protege 5 that is basically a Time Attack and Autocross warrior. That's my track fun car and the E39 will be my street fun car!
    Looking forward to learning more about this car and sharing my experiences!
    Cheers!

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Congratulations. They are fun cars.

More details about yours? What mods? I assume you got a6 speed car?
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    97' 540i/6
    Congratulations! Welcome.. I'm fairly new here as well.

Going on two months strong with Ruby the 540

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Welcome man. I'm Chad. Upload some photos to photobucket and share the IMG url here. Would love to get some more details on options and modifications and see some pictures. Welcome.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Hey guys! Just a couple of the mods on this car are a custom exhaust, free flow intake, WORK wheels and a one off Active Autowerke reflash that netted 73whp and 60wtq over stock. And yes, it is a 6 spd.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Well the snail mail is working just as described. My buddy I bought the car from mailed me the registration and transfer papers in advance on the chance I would be able to get plates in advance of picking up the car. So much for that idea! The paperwork still hasn't arrived even though I've had the car for a week now! The most I can do is sit in it and just absorb the awesomeness! lol! If nothing shows up tomorrow then we'll have to talk with the Insurance broker about getting duplicate registration etc.... ugh! In the meantime I have moved the car into my garage where I can fire it up and just listen to the big V8 rumble.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    I just finally got plates on the car yesterday and was able to take it out for a rip! It still drives just as awesomely as it did the first time I experienced this very car about 8 years ago! There are a few minor details still to look after by the previous owner (a buddy of mine for many years!) The car goes into the body shop next Wednesday to get a new clear coat on the Seibon Carbon Fibre hood and VIS trunk spoiler and also some cosmetics to the VIS front lip. I'm also swapping out the old halogen DRL/Hi-Beams for LED's. Lows are already HID.
    I'll wait until it's done before I post pics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Car is in now! Should be a couple of days minimum. They want to "dehydrate" the VIS lip before doing any fiberglass repairs. There may be an issue with the clouding of the front hood as well. I'm hoping with a DEEP wet sanding they will be able to restore it to where it should be.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Just got it back today! The hood is 98% to where I'd like it but with 6+ hours of wet sanding and polishing followed by several layers of clearcoat I am satisfied that it's as good as it's going to get. The trunk spoiler is perfect, as is the front lip.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    More goodness!

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Looks cool, need some close up pictures!

Did you compare the old hood to New to compare weight savings?
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    I bought the car with the hood. No idea on weight difference but I would assume it is substantial. This car is a real treat to drive. Loving every minute of it!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Those hoods are heavier than the original, it's all for show. Beware, working at the collision shop, I had one that ran into a jeep, the hood splintered in the front, never curled up to absorb the impact, ripped through its hinge bolts, and plowed through the windshield, ripped the top of the dash, and now the owner has halos in his vision from lights, glass flew into his eyes. Not good.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E39 540 6MT; 94 KA8 6MT
    I like that hood

Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Those hoods are heavier than the original, it's all for show. Beware, working at the collision shop, I had one that ran into a jeep, the hood splintered in the front, never curled up to absorb the impact, ripped through its hinge bolts, and plowed through the windshield, ripped the top of the dash, and now the owner has halos in his vision from lights, glass flew into his eyes. Not good.
    i put alot of miles on my Legend with the CF hood. mine was MUCH lighter then oem. oem was over 60lbs iirc, the CF was under 20lbs iirc. all i know is for sure i had to have 2 people to install the oem hood while i can install the cf by myself with ease. It all ended when i forgot to put in my hood pins, and it flew into my face. in my case, the CF bent around the window frame and smashed my sunroof, windshield was okay. the CF didn't look damaged at all. however the fiberglass shell was ruined. sad day for me, but i had it for over 5 years and 100k, well still have it, just swapped over to the oem now, maybe fix the shell one day and use it.

1997 540i/6spd *new project* : 2002 525i/5spd *parts car*
    1994 Acura Legend coupe 6spd *the baby* : 2009 Scion XB *dd beast*

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Buy a good scan tool and the Bentley E39 service manual.

How did you measure the reflash increases? Before/after dyno pull?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Buy a good scan tool and the Bentley E39 service manual.

How did you measure the reflash increases? Before/after dyno pull?
    Manuals came with the car. And yes, the car was base-lined and then retested afterwards on a DynoDynamics chassis dyno owned by the guy I bought the car from. He was co-owner of a custom tuner shop in Victoria, B.C.

- - - Updated - - -

Those hoods are heavier than the original, it's all for show.
    I highly doubt that any composite hood is heavier than the OEM. OEM are made of metal and have all the heat/sound deadening material plus paint. Composite is just a fibreglass under frame topped by a molded Carbon Fibre overlay matching the same outer dimensions of the OEM hood. All of the mechanics (hinge/latch connection points) are reinforced. I have a composite hood on my (former street and now strictly track) MAZDA and the same applies. The hood on that is only 19 lbs.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    Lets hear more about this tune that got you 70whp.
    1999 540iT: aFe Intake | M60 Intake | DUDMD Tune | Bavauto Springs | Bavsound Stage 1

2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeedE39 View Post
    Hey guys! Just a couple of the mods on this car are a custom exhaust, free flow intake, WORK wheels and a one off Active Autowerke reflash that netted 73whp and 60wtq over stock. And yes, it is a 6 spd.
    Congrats on your newly acquired ride but those gains with those mods are simply impossible, period. The reality is more 1/3 if that.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Tell it to Mark Tarr at http://vcmauto.com/ and the folks at http://store.activeautowerke.com/pages/contact

I am quite sure they will tell you otherwise.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Lol, Ok, mspeed, I'm just telling you that every E39 carbon hood I've installed was stupid heavy, and had me shaking my head as to why anyone would spend stupid money on one, take yours off, surprise me. Just because the carbon hood on your Mazda is lighter than stock doesn't mean squat when it comes to the E39 carbon anchors I've fondled, really, I couldn't give ten poops. I hope your hood is lighter, nothing wrong if it was. It is your car, enjoy it. Just thought I'd tell you about the one that screwed up my customers eyeballs.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeedE39 View Post
    Tell it to Mark Tarr at http://vcmauto.com/ and the folks at http://store.activeautowerke.com/pages/contact

I am quite sure they will tell you otherwise.
    You're welcome to believe in that fairy tale. I won't argue with you, I'm just telling you the truth. Somebody might have done dyno after the install and than compared results to stock HP and torque rating or they might have simply lied. Whatever it is, it's far from truth.
    I'm glad you like the car and just enjoy it.

My Cars
    '02 540i
    Not to burst your bubble or to diminish the fun you are having with the E39, but BMW has never made an engine that I am aware of that left more than a very few HP "on the table". Those who really know these cars will tell you that there is even very little (if any) gains to be had in HP from intake and/or exhaust changes to an otherwise stock engine. People that know this car will laugh if you re-state what the seller maybe told you about HP gains. They just are not there as the stock tune rings-out every last bit of power there is and keep the engine together. I would doubt that even an E39 that starts off some how very low on HP for whatever reason would see gains of even 10% of what your buddy told you. You have an amazing vehicle under you so enjoy the horsepower rating the factory gave it and know that smart tuning and engineering has brought you 99% of whatever HP there is to be had naturally aspirated. And...... WELCOME!
    Old, contrary, and out-of-touch,
    but still learning sumpin' every day
    NOTORIOUSLY long-winded :-(

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Lol, Ok, mspeed, I'm just telling you that every E39 carbon hood I've installed was stupid heavy, and had me shaking my head as to why anyone would spend stupid money on one, take yours off, surprise me. Just because the carbon hood on your Mazda is lighter than stock doesn't mean squat when it comes to the E39 carbon anchors I've fondled, really, I couldn't give ten poops. I hope your hood is lighter, nothing wrong if it was. It is your car, enjoy it. Just thought I'd tell you about the one that screwed up my customers eyeballs.
    Sounds like all the newer composite bodied cars are gonna be a safety concern then because they don't crumple like a beer can! lol!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    You're welcome to believe in that fairy tale. I won't argue with you, I'm just telling you the truth. Somebody might have done dyno after the install and than compared results to stock HP and torque rating or they might have simply lied. Whatever it is, it's far from truth.
    I'm glad you like the car and just enjoy it.
    Well everyone can have an opinion. Hard data is a wee bit difficult to argue however. I'll lean in the direction of fact, not fairy tales.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by m5hoot View Post
    Not to burst your bubble or to diminish the fun you are having with the E39, but BMW has never made an engine that I am aware of that left more than a very few HP "on the table". Those who really know these cars will tell you that there is even very little (if any) gains to be had in HP from intake and/or exhaust changes to an otherwise stock engine. People that know this car will laugh if you re-state what the seller maybe told you about HP gains. They just are not there as the stock tune rings-out every last bit of power there is and keep the engine together. I would doubt that even an E39 that starts off some how very low on HP for whatever reason would see gains of even 10% of what your buddy told you. You have an amazing vehicle under you so enjoy the horsepower rating the factory gave it and know that smart tuning and engineering has brought you 99% of whatever HP there is to be had naturally aspirated. And...... WELCOME!
    As mentioned above, I'll go with fact over fairy tales. The people who are responsible for the gains made on this car are very reputable and can back up their accomplishments.
    You're welcome to believe what you want.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Car's going back to the previous owner for a few "adjustments" that couldn't get done before I picked it up. New valve covers, RR window regulator, thrust arm bushings and e-brake repair.
    He's looking forward to the visit! Suffering from M5 Lite withdrawal.... lol!
    '97 BMW 540i
    V8 6spd. w/a few power adders.
    Affectionately referred to as:
    "THUG IN A SUIT"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast