Thread: 94,e31 850 CSi needs EML

My Cars
    1994 E31

Question 94,e31 850 CSi needs EML

Dealer says I need PN 12-71-1-403-276 EML not available from BMW. Any information on repair, replacement or work-arounds for this? Engine intermittently runs on 6 cylinders.

My Cars
    05/1993 BMW 850CSi
    Ohhh! With this issue I dont believe in a defective EML. The EML only synchronises the DMEs of both cylinderbanks and controls the throttle bodys. I also dont believe in an such expensive defekt like EML or DME.

Do you get an EML-light when the problem occours?

If you get no EML-light, simply take a look inside your distributor caps. Often the graphite pin in the center of the distributor cap is worn out or fallen off. Some time ago and in my case this was leading to the discribed failure. No EML-light and some times runing on 6 cylinders.

Best regards, Joachim

My Cars
    1994 E31

'94 850 CSi EML 12-71-1-403-276

Joachim,

Thanks for the reply. My problem seems to be running on 6 cylinders particularly when cold or when the car has not been run for a few days. The EML light does not come on.
    After driving for a while it usually starts running normally. Before starting to run normally I get a lot of blue smoke from the right exhaust. It also misses under load until starting to run right.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Tom

My Cars
    05/1993 BMW 850CSi
    Hi Tom,

this was exactly the same with my car and the fault was the distributor caps. Please take a look inside and let me know if this was the problem.

Sure there are many other possible reasons for the loss of a bank, but most of them cause the EML-light to stay on.

One more cause without EML-light indacation were a loss of fuel-pressure, eventually caused by a defective fuel-pump (the 8 has two, one for each bank) or a faulty pump-relais. But first take a look inside the distributers.

Best regards, Joachim

My Cars
    1994 E31
    Joachim,

I replaced both distributor caps and it fixed the problem. Thanks very much for your insightful analysis. Sorry for the delayed reply but I only operate the car in the summer to avoid road salt. It now runs great.

Regards,

Tom

My Cars
    05/1993 BMW 850CSi
    Hi Tom,

thanks for your response. I´m happy your problem is solved.

Regards, Joachim