Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: E36 m3 vert vinyl rear window questions

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det

E36 m3 vert vinyl rear window questions

My vert top is starting to get hazy and has some kind of build up on it. Is there some way to clean and polish it to make it more clear. Also, is it possible to tine a vinyl window somehow?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2001 M Roadster
    From my experience with an M Roadster, try to polish out the problem. Replacing my zip-out vinyl window was way too much work, still a poor result, entire $1400 soft top replacement scheduled. That said, you can typically buy tinted vinyl rear windows. I would opt for OEM.

My Cars
    E36
    Hazy/yellowing windows can be polished out with the right tools. The E36 convertible top window is polyvinyl and most that hazing is typically contaminants that are embedded into it and from UV penetration. What we would do if a customer has that problem is thoroughly clean both inside and outside of the window and then hit it with a dedicated plastic polish like Meguiars Plastx on either a MF applicator or just on a MF towel. Make sure you 'polish' both sides of the vinyl. Without using a machine you should be able to remove a decent bit of the gunk out. For the small price of the polish - its worth it to at least try before spending $1000+ on a new top.

My Cars
    Thank you for the advice. I can still see shapes thru window and top is good so any improvement will be worth it.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    New top is $375 from Diamondmall on ebay. It won't have a zippered rear window but the window will survive a long time with a little care. You can replace the entire top in a single day or 2 short days. I've done it twice

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...new-canvas-top

The rear window can be polished. I experimented on one using Mothers Billet which is actually aluminum polish. I had it on hand so I tried it. It made a huge difference. I've since tried some dedicated plastic polishes and they work well. You won't get out heavy scratching but light hazing will come off.

I sincerely doubt you'll get tint to stick long term. Just the application process will require removing the window from the car.

My Cars
    It's good to know a replacement top is cheap. Atm i'm gonna try to clear the window a bit as the top is otherwise good. The haze is part of it but also looks like calcification deposits are on it too so just getting off the thick stuff will help alot

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    Did some researcher and got a polish that hopefully will work, fingers crossed.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    02/330ci
    Let us know if the polish works!......good luck
    ]

My Cars
    I got the polish but haven't tried it yet. I was debating doing it by hand or with a dremel or something. I also need to have some backside pressure for the polish so need to figure out a way to do that with one person. I previously tried a few other things like various glass cleaners and glass plus and chrome cleaner wool but no effect. Hopefully I'll have an update soon, my auto projects are piling up.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Start by hand first, the dremel adds risk and you won't need the extra power/stress from the small dremel polishing pad. If you had a 5.25" pad then maybe. Pushing the window by hand while polishing shoudld be fine, no need for supporting it from the back. Having it free should help you keep your pressure slight.
    Please remember that polishing the vinyl is much more delicate than for paint. Any overheating and the vinyl turns cloudy. Take your time and work softly.

My Cars
    01 540i/6 97 328i vert/
    I used http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convertible-...lR1ji7&vxp=mtr

worked like a charm

HTH

John
    2001 540i/6 - 144k

1997 328 ic - 67k
    hardtop

2008 328i 6spd 88k

2008 328i 84k auto

1998 328i sedan 5 speed - 190k RIP
    1995 325i sedan - Hellrot - 124k RIP

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    Start by hand first, the dremel adds risk and you won't need the extra power/stress from the small dremel polishing pad. If you had a 5.25" pad then maybe. Pushing the window by hand while polishing shoudld be fine, no need for supporting it from the back. Having it free should help you keep your pressure slight.
    Please remember that polishing the vinyl is much more delicate than for paint. Any overheating and the vinyl turns cloudy. Take your time and work softly.
    Copy that, makes total sense, thanks.

I saw that one on ebay too, I don't remember what it was but something made me pass on that one. I compared all of them and I got the one that the guy advertises as for jeep tops. It's 2oz. of some tan colored liquid. Happen to have before and after pics? My window has the normal fogginess but also has some kind of off white colored deposits that are opaque.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    Tried that stuff off ebay and was worthless. I did some more research and found quite a few options that are supposed to work. I think I need a two step process. One to remove the yellow buld up and one to polish out. Any tried and true methods?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    Bump. Called various detailers and searched all over and still can't find a confirmed way to clean up the vinyl window. It is not only blurry but has opaque yellowish spots, probably from the heat and sun. I'd be happy if I could just clean that up and still have a blurry window.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-