Thread: Possibility of/Pros vs Cons of Swapping an M106 into a 91 535i/5?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"

Possibility of/Pros vs Cons of Swapping an M106 into a 91 535i/5?

Hey guys!

Before anyone flames me for the noob question , I have researched boosting the b35 I have, as well as using the M106 components as a makeshift turbo kit . I however have found no information on swapping an entire m106 into the car, however do know it has been done, and would be running megasquirt PNP as my ems solution.

Any threads detailing the swap, any know how, and any constructive criticism/opinions are very welcome!!

I want to boost my 535i for the simple purpose of learning the ins and outs of a turbo bmw engine, not so much for power gains (yet), as I am currently building it for drift, and turbo will be the way to go regardless of which engine I use.

Please help! Thank you!

batmobile318is

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    That should go smoothly. I'd worry about the m106 engine mounts lining up on the e34 subframe.
    demet

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"
    Yea, I am sure some fabbing will be required, the issue at hand is that a TCD kit is 3k+ (labor/tuning not included) and I can source a full m106 for 1500 or less. Taking to account the sodium filled valves, lower compression, oil squirters and a few other goodies it brings, it would make for a fantastic swap in the car. Not too mention I can gain hp by just upping the boost on the stock turbo. As upgrades become necessary it is simpler to upgrade a system already in place as opposed to creating one.

batmobile318is

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Agreed. I loved my m106 in my old 745. Once the body went on that car I pulled the engine and installed it in my son's e28, without the turbo of course, and installed the turbo in my e34 535. It's been running fine for about 5 years now.

Some will tell you that it's pointless to go with old and obsolete technology but my opinion is this technology has been proven and it works just fine.
    demet

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Agreed. I loved my m106 in my old 745. Once the body went on that car I pulled the engine and installed it in my son's e28, without the turbo of course, and installed the turbo in my e34 535. It's been running fine for about 5 years now.

Some will tell you that it's pointless to go with old and obsolete technology but my opinion is this technology has been proven and it works just fine.
    Yea I agree with you! And that is awesome! Do you have a thread on your turbo 535i I could check out? And as far as "old and obsolete technology", the car in question is already old and obsolete lol, so I don't see why putting in a motor which ended production a year before my chassis started would not be a viable idea to some people.

This may seem cost prohibitive, however depending on how far you want to boost your car it may be a better solution in the long run. What I am referring to would be to get an M50 M52 to boost. Once you start delving into higher HP numbers, it would stand to reason that it would be cheaper because there are more people doing it currently.. meaning internal engine parts would be cheaper to source in the long run (cams, pistons, etc etc etc).

The m30 is a great platform, how many other engines have had a 28 year life span. I would say the same about the M106 because it is a derivative of the m30. It all depends on how long you plan on sticking with it and how much HP you want. Under 450 I would say get an M106. If you want to go over I would consider something else.
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Neel View Post
    Under 450 I would say get an M106. If you want to go over I would consider something else.
    I'm sure if you really wanted to and with MS you can do up to 650 HP on a m106. Good&tight did that on an unmodified m30 and a huge turbo.
    demet

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"
    This may seem cost prohibitive, however depending on how far you want to boost your car it may be a better solution in the long run. What I am referring to would be to get an M50 M52 to boost. Once you start delving into higher HP numbers, it would stand to reason that it would be cheaper because there are more people doing it currently.. meaning internal engine parts would be cheaper to source in the long run (cams, pistons, etc etc etc).

The m30 is a great platform, how many other engines have had a 28 year life span. I would say the same about the M106 because it is a derivative of the m30. It all depends on how long you plan on sticking with it and how much HP you want. Under 450 I would say get an M106. If you want to go over I would consider something else.
    Thanks for the input! My dilemma with the m52/m50 route is that I chose the 535i because not as many people are doing it and the m30 is just awesomeness (I tend to go against the grain), same with creating an e34 drift car as opposed to any 3 series generation, chasing down the parts or customizing is half the fun! (and half the headache) lol. My eventual goal is 500-550hp with the m106/m30. Once I top that I plan on going with either an LS or the s38 (I hope to have a better paying job for that 2nd one too lol). So it is safe to say that 450 is my nearest goal, so the m106 is looking better and better lol...

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile318is View Post
    Yea I agree with you! And that is awesome! Do you have a thread on your turbo 535i I could check out? And as far as "old and obsolete technology", the car in question is already old and obsolete lol, so I don't see why putting in a motor which ended production a year before my chassis started would not be a viable idea to some people.

I think I have a build thread somewhere but I'm sure the pics are gone since I reorganized them. Lem see if I can add them back in.
    demet

Ooof 650 is crazy.. I wonder how long it lasted without blowing up.. (time to read some more LOL)

I would take a look at Redfive, to see what he has gone through with his setup.. ups and downs. Justin Turbo'd his m30 and i believe was making close to the 550 number. His whole setup is currently for sale as well, I wish i could afford it.

At the very least, you wont be jumping into unknown territory either way you decide to go.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Ooof 650 is crazy.. I wonder how long it lasted without blowing up.. (time to read some more LOL)

I would take a look at Redfive, to see what he has gone through with his setup.. ups and downs. Justin Turbo'd his m30 and i believe was making close to the 550 number. His whole setup is currently for sale as well, I wish i could afford it.

At the very least, you wont be jumping into unknown territory either way you decide to go.
    If you haven't already seen this nice thread, http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=39675

Redfive's work is inspiring to all of us lusting forced induction.
    demet

Have not seen that thread yet.. CEK's build was an inspiration to me, unfortunately I've stalled on my build.. but i figured instead of swapping an m30b35 into an e28 might as well start with an e34 with the same motor.. I am now getting thoughts of boost in my head, with that motor laying around, so instead of a refresh I will have to boost it, eventually..

I know what Justin has planned, I cant wait to see how it comes together.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"
    I have read into Justin's build, but his build made use of the TCD setup, which I am sure was not 3k+ when he purchased it 15 years ago. I know it will not be cheap, and I am prepared to spend, but for just the cost of the kit, I could have my motor rebuilt with a different cam and forged internals running close to 300 NA. Also, I believe he had TCD do some or alot of the engine build (correct me if I am wrong), for my setup I want to do it all (for learning purposes and labor costs) short of rebuilding the engine of course. I looked into a used setup from TCD directly, but even that one (40,000 miles on it) he wanted about 2000, maybe 2500.

Using the m106 components is a proven method, and a rather cheap one, the hard part (and reason its not too common) is they are very rare, especially as a "kit", and the whole "B35 exhaust studs are smaller than the m106 ones, and BMW no longer sells the m106 ones" ordeal lol. So that alone means custom machining the b35 head with m106 studs (which I would be ok with), If I could get the m106 turbo parts lol
    Last edited by Batmobile318is; 09-02-2015 at 03:22 PM.

I think there was a guy selling an m106 turbo manifold in the e34 bimmerforums fb group.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"
    I think there was a guy selling an m106 turbo manifold in the e34 bimmerforums fb group.
    Hey would you happen to have a link to the FB group page? I was not aware there was one.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5 "BatMW"
    I saw the manifold on the group, it's not an m106, it's aftermarket. Looks similar to the good & tight but not as clean, might just be the condition the finish is in that is throwing me off lol.

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    There's about three threads lately on M106 engines... good to see there's interest in these Old Reliables lately. They can take a lot of boost with the right setup.
    I have a nice one rebuilt, complete turbo to oil pan, sent you a PM.
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k