Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Car Journal: 2000 M Coupe

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Update

The drive-belt system was making quite a racket, so a couple weeks ago I replaced the pulleys, tensioners, and belts.

With the belt off and tension released on the pulleys, I noticed the waterpump was wobbly. Knowing failure was imminent, I ordered an EMP Stewart HD water pump, Meyle 88 degree thermostat, Water Wetter, and URO aluminum thermostat housing.

A couple months ago I deleted the mechanical fan while addressing a multitude of other things. Coolant operating temps and always seemed to have trouble getting there; the car also took forever to warm up, which was an indication of something amiss. I took a gamble and opted to simply swap in a lower temp fan switch and add Water Wetter in lieu of typical full fan deletion kits. Despite this, and with the fan removed, coolant temps remained the same.

I had some time on my hands, and that ugly washer reservoir was getting on my nerves. So... PAINT!

The cooling parts arrived last week, so this past Saturday I picked up a gallon of coolant from the local BMW dealer and had at it. The car has nearly 143,000 miles now, and I had no idea when the coolant had been flushed (if ever). Decided this was as good a time as any.

Definitely needed to be flushed.

Old thermostat looked alright, but since the coolant temps seemed to have trouble reaching their operating temp, I replaced it as well.

Old waterpump had internal shaft play, but hey, at least the car was running a metal impeller for some time.

Out with the old.

In with the new.

Filled 'er up with coolant, purged the system, and went for a drive. Car heats up quickly now and coolant maintains its operating temp like a charm.

On another note, I've been on a buying spree recently. I lucked out by finding an eBay vendor that was parting out a Z3M. Picked up a Strong Strut Rear Brace (aka "Butt Strut") for obscenely cheap, also snagged chrome interior door handles and this rare chrome rearview mirror.

The eBay vendor took very special care in packaging the mirror; my hat off to you. Unfortunately, this past weekend I noticed the tell-tale sign of failure. Liquid is sloshing all around inside; same thing happened to my original mirror. So, the chrome one is being sent off to Sybesma's Electronics in Holland, MI for repair.

Lastly, while trying to tackle another little task that'd evaded me (installing OEM front mud flaps), one of the threads that holds the wiring harness in the wheel well snapped off, probably from all the heat from the brakes over the past sixteen years.

Anyone run into this, or snapped off something similar and can offer suggestions? I'm thinking about grinding down the remaining bit and drilling/tapping for a screw or bolt.
    Last edited by Nijapo; 11-23-2015 at 11:37 AM.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Update

Sent out the rearview mirror to Sybesma's Electronics for repair. Unfortunately, the mirror leaked in transit and destroyed the original housing. The folks at Sybesma's were very helpful and offered to use a recovered mirror housing they had lying around.

Damage to the original mirror:

As my way of apology, I treated the coupe to a detail.

Last edited by Nijapo; 05-02-2017 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Wait did you get your username changed? I could have sworn I checked this thread like 10 minutes ago and it was Coupe_Envy

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Thanks to the folks who chimed in and helped me figure out the benefit/effects of the strut mount orientation.

The previous owners made several, small modifications to the car... some I'm still discovering. At some point it seems they swapped the front strut mounts (typically done to increase negative camber).

The steering feel always seemed a little vague on the highway, which I attributed to worn-out ball joints, but apparently the orientation below will decrease caster angle, which is supposed to create a lighter steering feel. Makes sense considering the PO was suffering from arthritis and this would have made the car easier to steer.

Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Update

Rotated the strut mounts to stock-ish orientation, which seems to have remedied the vague steering feel. However, not sure how the negative camber will play out in a daily driver.
    Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:01 AM.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    I've gone through another spell of parts hoarding and picked up the following:

-OE F/R calipers; rebuilt & powder-coated
    -UUC Stainless Steel CDV Delete
    -Strong Strut Rear Brace and Body Brace
    -Motion Motorsports Undertray
    -IE Subframe Bushings
    -Lemforder Tie Rod Ends
    -2000mkoop AC Schnitzer Replica Splitters
    -BMW OE Front Mudflaps
    -WeatherTech Rubber Floor Mats

Also, took a somewhat risky leap of faith and placed an order through an eBay vendor located in Latvia for a custom steering wheel similar to the one pictured below except in black alcantara instead of two-tone leather.

Last edited by Nijapo; 05-02-2017 at 11:34 PM.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Be sure to let me know if that exhaust is too loud for the next owner... I'll be happy to swap him. [/vulturing]

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijapo View Post
    BUT, there was a Supersprint exhaust being sold for pretty cheap recently - did you see it?
    PM me info, I haven't, surprisingly enough

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Merry Christmas to me!

The gamble paid off and I was welcomed by a delivery from Latvia. The vendor modified an OEM M-Technic steering wheel by sculpting a flat bottom and top, moulding new grips, and adding extra padding before wrapping everything in black Alcantara finished in light grey stitching.

The original mats had basically disintegrated, so I picked up a set of beefy WeatherTech rubber mats. The only problem is that these are made for the E36 and aren't an exact fit in the Z3, but I can live with it.

While poking around under the hood, I discovered a tidy little critter nest in the corner of the driver's side frame rail and firewall.
    Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:12 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Love the wheel. Vendor info, please!
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    2002 BMW M Roadster

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I just put my $14 Costco rubber mats in the Z. The gas pedal issue was addressed with a razor blade. Not sure I would do the same on yours but it worked for me. "Garage Custom"

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Driver4 View Post
    Love the wheel. Vendor info, please!
    PM sent!

Quote Originally Posted by 325bimmer View Post
    I just put my $14 Costco rubber mats in the Z. The gas pedal issue was addressed with a razor blade. Not sure I would do the same on yours but it worked for me. "Garage Custom"
    I'm living with them for now. The fitment isn't exact, but it gets the job done when the provided clips aren't used.
    Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:13 AM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    ZOMG I've been looking into doing a flat bottom wheel for my car. What lucky timing. Would you mind sharing the vendor info with me as well, either via PM or here in the thread? Is it ledermanz by any chance? I emailed with shepott (another vendor here and on eBay), and he said he rarely had Z3 wheels. Did you have to send this person a wheel, or did they have one in stock? Any other info you can share is most welcome. Many thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: can you post a picture of the backside of your steering wheel? I'm trying to fully understand the similarities and differences between Z3s with single and dual stage airbags, as well as the rest of the 98-02 BMW line up.
    Last edited by kornfeld; 01-01-2016 at 09:45 AM.
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe--Sterling Gray/Sunroof Delete/5MT

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Quote Originally Posted by kornfeld View Post
    Is it ledermanz by any chance? Also: can you post a picture of the backside of your steering wheel? I'm trying to fully understand the similarities and differences between Z3s with single and dual stage airbags, as well as the rest of the 98-02 BMW line up.
    Yep! It was ledermanz - I emailed them outside of eBay and ordered the wheel. They use wheels they have in stock, not including airbags; no sending yours in. I'm not sure about the changes between single and dual, but the wheel is already on. What photos were you looking for?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Cool. I'm just curious about what the center section of your OEM wheel (the one you pulled off the car) looks like, both front and back.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    Also: does the flat top obscure the view of the gauges at all? And how much extra thickness did you have added to the wheel?

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Sorry, haven't been too active on the forum lately. The flat top does not obscure the gauges. I didn't specify the thickness, just told the vendor to replicate the design of another wheel they had for sale. Haven't had a change to take a photo of the other wheel as I'm away from that property currently. I'll send you photos when I am.

Cheers

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Coupe
    No problem. I figured that part out with some images from another thread. Having said that, I think another image would be useful: can you hold your old wheel over the new one so we can compare thickness and everything? There are similar images for the shepott/tainik/etc wheels that people have bought, and it would be cool to see for this wheel as well.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Cobble streets are best streets... until you have to drive down them.

Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:15 AM.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Snow Coupe is a GO. Had the pleasant opportunity of testing my winter wheels and tires. I'm running a squared setup using 16x7.5 Mille Miglia Spyders on Gislaved Nordfrosts with 20mm H&R spacer in the rear. Rears are tucked in a bit much and look a little wonky, but I've never experienced this level of control in the snow before.

Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Most of our snow storms this year have been so deep I didn't even bother with the winter wheels and tires. Insufficient ground clearance. Maybe next year.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    Stock ride height provides pretty decent clearance. The snow storm two weeks ago was the first time I had a chance to try out the winter setup. Though, I did drive the coupe on all-seasons during the last big snow storm - that was an interesting experience.
    Last edited by Nijapo; 05-03-2017 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M Coupe
    That steering wheel is made from babies dreams

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    April 2016

While driving home I experienced difficulty shifting and with clutch actuation. I was unable to shift in or out of gear, and after about two hours, managed to limp the car home in 2nd gear. The next day the clutch pedal fell flat to the floor and there was a puddle of fluid under the car.

I took my car to Road and Track Motorsports in Silver Spring, MD which is run by a lovely gentleman named Sunny. Within 24 hours I was on my way to pickup the car after Sunny replaced the Clutch Slave Cylinder and Clutch Master Cylinder. Car was good as new, and I was lucky to find a new technician that I could trust with the coupe (the repair cost was exceptionally reasonable, I might add).

September 2016

While driving home after running errands one evening I was involved in a collision.

After asking an acquaintance who performs diminished value assessments and appraisals, I decided to take my car to D&V Autobody in Sterling, VA. I've typically always dreaded dealing with bodyshops in the past, however, my experience with D&V was completely different. Their staff kept me updated at every step, and helped push my insurance provider to approve all new OEM parts.

After two months, I went to pickup my car. I met with Ahmad who showed the work they had performed - the paint flawlessly matched the original Titanium Silver. Ahmad said that their objective is to make it seem like nothing had ever happened. Honestly, this was the best service I've ever received from any type of auto repair business.

Without the coupe for so long, I decided to only focus on enjoying the car and performing routine maintenance. Several modifications were tabled until later in 2017.
    Last edited by Nijapo; 02-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    Glad you got it back. Did you put the splitters on? Your pics don’t work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast