Thread: key fob not working and car dings with keys out and lights off

My Cars
    2000 323i

key fob not working and car dings with keys out and lights off

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 323isedan. It has 150,000 miles on it and runs very well. I am very happy with it but it has one problem that is getting under my skin. I have searched hundreds of forums for the fix and none of the answers have worked.

Ill start with the problem. I can only lock and unlock my car with the central button inside the car or by inserting the key in the lock and turning. The key fob has power but does not work. (It is paired correctly) In fact when I unplug the negative battery terminal for about 10 minutes then hook it back up the key fob works. My car also dings when I open the drivers door with the car off, keys out of ignition, and lights turned off. When I do the battery reset it takes care of the beeping. As soon as I put my key back in the ignition after the battery reset all of the problems come back.

After all of my research I am convinced of one of two things are causing this. I feel that either the ignition still thinks that the key is inserted or there is a fuse hidden somewhere other than the glove compartment fuse boxthat is blown. I tested and confirmed that all fuses in the glove box fuse boxwere both there and working. Every single last fuse.

Most of the forums suggested that I need a replacement ignition switchbecause it thinks the key is still in there. I don't think that is the problem though since I can reset the battery and resolve the problems temporarily. That makes me suspect that it's an electrical issue and not a mechanical issue.

Some forums also suggested that if you lock the doors manually and then try to open the fuel door and it opens, that the fuel door actuatoris causing the problem. My fuel door does open when my doors are locked. I took a look back there and it appears that the locking mechanism is no longer connected to the fuel door. Could this be the answer to my prayers? If so what must I do to it.

Also when I do get it working after the battery reset, the horn doesn't beep when it locks (as a normal cars horn does). This might be a bmw thing that I don't know about.

Thank you for reading this long book and hopefully this is something we can solve.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You are having the common GM-5 issues. www.bmwgm5.com Read thru his website, as it sound like to me you are having those issues.

The only cars that "beep" on locking/unlocking are the ones with the factory alarm, or the added alarm horn.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Sorry for posting two years later but tonight I was fixing my ignition lock (the immobilizer wire that wraps around it broke off from the connector so I soldered it back on). Anyway while it was disconnected I noticed that my car stopped beeping and the key fob actually worked.

So this got me excited. I ended up wiring a two way switch to one of the two wires that plugs into the ignition lock. When the switch is on, the car recognizes my key and the engine turns on. When the switch is off the car won't start (kill switch) but the power still turns on.

Now with the switch off, the beeping only happens if the keys are in and my door is open and when the lights are on and the key is out of the ignition/door open. The key fob also works when the switch is off.

So the method I use to overcome this annoying problem is to turn the switch to the on position for startup and then turn the switch to the off position BEFORE I turn the car off. This solves all of my problems.

I figured I'd post for future reference if anyone runs into the issue.

Here's a Snapchat story I took as I went along.

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: verdana">
    Last edited by drumgeek124; 08-18-2017 at 10:39 PM.