Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

I just bought a 2000 BMW 540i with some of the components of the M-sport as original options. The attached PDF shows how the car was at its birth
    bmwarchive_org_gm68781 2000 540 M-pak 141K K scarb.pdf

All amounts are Canadian $ - but don't do the translation to USD. We get paid in CAD, so even if the exchange rate fluctuates it still costs us the same amount. The car has 142,000 km (88,000 miles) and cost $5,000. There is no rust anywhere.

I plan to take a journey with this car which will be full of learning, joy, and (no doubt) tears, anger and despair. I'm recording this for prosperity, leaving some footprints in the sands of time. I invite you to share in this and to, hopefully, provide a calm base of experience when I'm up against a wall.

Kind of a Table of Contents! (links will be added / updated as the thread grows)

The Good
    The Bad
    The Ugly
    Vacuum Hoses
    Cosmetic Stuff I
    Cosmetic Stuff II
    Cosmetic Stuff III
    Cosmetic Stuff IV (Bumper)
    Cosmetic Stuff - Bumper Fitment
    Cosmetic V (Center Console)
    Instrument Cluster: Pixels and chrome rings

2017 track day

PDC problem
    PDC Fixed - new sensors; new(er) module + old parameters via NCS Dummy / NCS Expert.

Passenger side mirror motor swap

Lighting I
    Lighting II
    Lighting III: Headlight adjusters
    Lighting Facelift I
    Lighting Facelift II
    Lighting Angel Eyes

Engine noise - VANOS?
    Engine Howling noise
    Howling noise II

The Oil Pan Drop

Engine gaskets I (throttle body)
    Ribe vs Torx bits
    Intake Manifold, CCV and Vacuum hoses hosing me
    Easy remove of injector wiring box
    Valve Cover Gaskets

VCGaskets part II
    Valley Pan Job
    Valley Pan Job II

ATF filter, gasket, and manual flush
    The Transmission: Tune and shift reversal
    Transmission: Shifter cover swap

Power Steering Pump I

Power Steering Pump II

The muffler
    Cooling system, fan clutch, and high engine temperature
    Cooling system bleeding procedure
    Belts and pulleys
    The 88 degree C thermostat (Diesel)

Fuel Trims

More fuel trims
    Fuel Trims after TB gaskets

Misfires

SUSPENSION:
    Suspension overhaul with Fortune Auto coilovers
    More Suspension
    Suspension Part III - info bits
    Suspension IV: Fighting the good fight
    Suspension V: That clunk when starting out
    Suspension (still)
    Suspension VI: The front end clunk is gone. Spoiler: I discovered that the LHS thrust arm was not seated properly when putting in some G.A.S. titanium monoballs.
    Suspension VII: The rear end banging over bumps is gone. I put in 7K springs and re-pre-tensioned the springs. The RHS coilover spring was just sitting there loose with a small gap between its top and the plate above. The clunk is gone in a moderate paced drive. Need to test at higher speeds tomorrow.

New suspension (2017): Replacing the FA coilovers which are great for track, not my think on streets. Went with KONI sports and Vogtland springs eventually.
    KONI yellow saga continued

SOUNDSYSTEM:
    Wiring colour codes: Dynavin vs E39 vs E39 Mark III or IV

CODING AND STUFF LIKE THAT
    Transmission: Alpina Tune
    DME Tune update: halfway down post
    Enable / Disable DRL = Daytime Running Lights
    One touch all doors open; disable / enable auto door locks; comfort access to one touch remote close all windows etc
    Last edited by gmak; 08-14-2017 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

Cool The GOOD I

A picture is worth a thousand words. But, when have you ever know me to pass up a chance to ramble on. Note the m-steering and the m-sport seats. If you read the PDF in the first post, you see that it has the M-sport suspension (not the type II, though), and Shadowline trim (heh!).

New car 20150828 one.jpgnew good 01.jpgnew good 02.jpgnew good 03.jpgnew good 04.jpg

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nice and congrats.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

The Good II

The third picture shows that the lights are darker - some kind of tint?? NO rust. Immaculate. Apparently this car was detailed almost weekly because the owner was sales manager at a Kia dealership (he owned other cars and bikes as well).

new good 06.jpgnew good 07.jpgnew good 07a.jpgnew good 08.jpgnew good 09.jpg

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nice plush black interior.

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    Looks nice and clean! Congratulations. Should be a great car for years to come.

Engine looks super clean, valve covers still even look great!

Sorry but don't care for painted exterior trim, everything else looks superb
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

The Bad I

Into every life, a little rain must fall. There are things about this car that I don't like. Others may think I'm crazy or wonder why. Let's just say that we all have our own tastes.

1. The console has the insert for the so-called BMW cell phone. I will be going European on it's @ss.
    2. The Head unit is a Kenwood bluetooth. Nothing wrong with that except there is no OEM look like the Dynavin N6, and there is no GPS. The car originally had whatever version of the screen / tV that was in the BMWs. I thought that I would get it in the deal and then sell it on Ebay, but forgot all about it. I think there will be a Dynavin in the future.
    3. There are so many pixels missing that the event was cancelled on account of rain. There is a company in Toronto that can fix this, with shipping for $200.
    4. The amplifier is a Clarion XC1410. There are two of them. Nothing wrong with this except I doubt that it has the crossovers needed by the BMW speakers, including the sub woofer. I don't know if I have to play with adjustments but to me it sounds like an old car radio with no bottom end. I plan to get another amplifier and the GAS crossover, along with a Dynavin N6 (just sentimental I guess from my old 528i).
    5. The windows are tinted quite dark, including the back. Not crazy about this. I'll probably have to spring to get this professionally removed.
    6. The spare Tire was a BBS rim when I first saw it. Now it's some kind of I-don't-know-what with a winter tire on it. : :shrug
    7. The rear cup holders are missing (and I'm not looking very hard for them).
    8. I think that at some time I will need to refinish the rims which are true BMW 5-style composite
    9. I only have two keys, a diamond one and the valet key. The diamond key only starts the car after I've started it with the valet key. It locks and unlocks everything it should but it doesn't work in the ignition until the car has been started with the other key. Has anyone heard of this before? I'm ordering another key from the dealership at a cost of $200.

Here are some pictures of all this.

new bad 01.jpgnew bad 03.jpgnew bad 02.jpgnew bad 05.jpgnew bad 04.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There is also this noise. Someone please tell me that this isn't timing chain guide (not ready for this just yet). I don't think it's VANOS. I'm leaning towards maybe a loose spark plug or a coil / boot issue.

This noise

The ugly will come later. I'm off to some craft beer festival with guests and family. I think that I'm the designated driver. Good times.
    Last edited by gmak; 08-29-2015 at 01:16 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Into every life, a little rain must fall. There are things about this car that I don't like. Others may think I'm crazy or wonder why. Let's just say that we all have our own tastes.

1. The console has the insert for the so-called BMW cell phone. I will be going European on it's @ss.
    2. The Head unit is a Kenwood bluetooth. Nothing wrong with that except there is no OEM look like the Dynavin N6, and there is no GPS. The car originally had whatever version of the screen / tV that was in the BMWs. I thought that I would get it in the deal and then sell it on Ebay, but forgot all about it. I think there will be a Dynavin in the future.
    3. There are so many pixels missing that the event was cancelled on account of rain. There is a company in Toronto that can fix this, with shipping for $200.
    4. The amplifier is a Clarion XC1410. There are two of them. Nothing wrong with this except I doubt that it has the crossovers needed by the BMW speakers, including the sub woofer. I don't know if I have to play with adjustments but to me it sounds like an old car radio with no bottom end. I plan to get another amplifier and the GAS crossover, along with a Dynavin N6 (just sentimental I guess from my old 528i).
    5. The windows are tinted quite dark, including the back. Not crazy about this. I'll probably have to spring to get this professionally removed.
    6. The spare Tire was a BBS rim when I first saw it. Now it's some kind of I-don't-know-what with a winter tire on it. : :shrug
    7. The rear cup holders are missing (and I'm not looking very hard for them).
    8. I think that at some time I will need to refinish the rims which are true BMW 5-style composite
    9. I only have two keys, a diamond one and the valet key. The diamond key only starts the car after I've started it with the valet key. It locks and unlocks everything it should but it doesn't work in the ignition until the car has been started with the other key. Has anyone heard of this before? I'm ordering another key from the dealership at a cost of $200.

Here are some pictures of all this.

new bad 01.jpgnew bad 03.jpgnew bad 02.jpgnew bad 05.jpgnew bad 04.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

There is also this noise. Someone please tell me that this isn't timing chain guide (not ready for this just yet). I don't think it's VANOS. I'm leaning towards maybe a loose spark plug or a coil / boot issue.

This noise

The ugly will come later. I'm off to some craft beer festival with guests and family. I think that I'm the designated driver. Good times.
    Congrats on the new car dude! I'm not a big fan of those old school rims, but hey, whatever floats your boat. The outside looks super clean, and so does the inside

Regarding your video, it sounds like it could be Vanos or ignition coil noise. Though it could be the guides too. Next time you change your oil, see what comes out. If you see plastic chunks then those guides need changing soon.

I'm always the designated driver too, because I haven't touched any alcohol in like 6 or 7 years.
    Last edited by dannyzabolotny; 08-29-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Right on GMAK. There is no such thing as a perfect used e39. Even the 540 which had 30k in maintenance in the 12 months prior still threw a check engine light in the first week. Just enjoy it and congrats! I'm stoked for you that's a great deal for low miles!!!

Chad
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Yeah, I'm not bummed. I think this is a great deal. Every 540 (with one or two exceptions) is going to need some TLC in a big way in the cooling system, TCG, VANOS etc... I'm looking forward to it.

I can definitely say that the clunking or whatever it is, is isolated to the LHS (driver's side in NorthAm) of the engine at the front corner.. I can also see that there has been a very small oil leak under the valve cover in that front LHS section. What is that? Vanos under there? If it were TCG, wouldn't it be more in the middle?

There is also a high-pitched whistle that seems to be throttle dependent, not speed dependent. Im leaning towards CCV in the back of the eying because it is more audible inside the car that standing out front with the hood up. In park, One has to take the engine up to 3500 revs and hold it there to recreate the whistle.

And my key is really interesting. I can't start the car with the diamond key. I have to use the valet key. But, if I shut her off I can then start it with the diamond key. Is this an ignition issue, or an EWS issue?

So I know that before the cold weather sets in, I want to drop the oil pan and look for plastic pieces - right?

On another note, my son has indicated some interest in buying the 1998 528 with 115K miles on it. This is the car that I've learned to wrench on, so he had better catch me on a good day with the 540i and have cash in hand. (no free lunch. no free lunch).

I think that generally cars in Canada are cheaper now 1) because we didn't have that ridiculous cash for clunkers that destroyed used-car inventory; and, ii) You cannot borrow money to buy a car older than (I think) 5 years. So the demand has to come from those with cash (or "home Equity" lines of credit -snicker).

Thanks for all the positive vibes. And, Danny..... I like my retro wheels. The car is wearing them ironically, as the hipsters say. They would look fabulous on the 528i - so maybe there are some M-pars in this car's future.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to ask - Can you really tel if it's the TCG just from an oil change - are some of the chunks that small? Or do I have to drop the oil pan (changing the gasket?)?

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Yeah, I'm not bummed. I think this is a great deal. Every 540 (with one or two exceptions) is going to need some TLC in a big way in the cooling system, TCG, VANOS etc... I'm looking forward to it.

So I know that before the cold weather sets in, I want to drop the oil pan and look for plastic pieces - right?

I just want to ask - Can you really tel if it's the TCG just from an oil change - are some of the chunks that small? Or do I have to drop the oil pan (changing the gasket?)?

At 88K miles it is too early to worry about TCG failure. If it makes you feel better drop the pan, change the gasket when you change the oil next. But guides seem to go more like 160K+ and most cars actually make it past 200,000 on original guides. Just remember that the forum mostly deals with car problems so you are overexposed to e39 issues (although there are many and its good you are prepared). TCG threads can be long too, so you keep seeing them bumped.

Your guides are likely fine, I give you a 99.9% of no pieces in pan. What I would do is replace the timing chain tensioner with the new part if it has not been done. This keeps your guides in good shape.

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    At 88K miles it is too early to worry about TCG failure. If it makes you feel better drop the pan, change the gasket when you change the oil next. But guides seem to go more like 160K+ and most cars actually make it past 200,000 on original guides. Just remember that the forum mostly deals with car problems so you are overexposed to e39 issues (although there are many and its good you are prepared). TCG threads can be long too, so you keep seeing them bumped. Your guides are likely fine, I give you a 99.9% of no pieces in pan. What I would do is replace the timing chain tensioner with the new part if it has not been done. This keeps your guides in good shape.
    I completely agree with Brian on this one. 95% of 540's with under 200k are on original guides and are fine. We have acclimated to hearing from the guys who buy the cheap M62's with failed guides but so many of them never have the issue. Your fine. Well put Brian and your so right.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    I bow to your superior experience and expertise. I'm going to look up timing chain slapping noise on Youtube and make sure that I can recognize it when it finally does happen.

So we're looking at what then? VANOS, coils /boots maybe? loose spark plug? Guess I have another mystery on my hands. I'll look through my receipts and see if the timing chain tensioner was ever done (they only go back to January). I've done this on the 528. Familiar territory.

I know I have to change the LHS valve cover gasket due to a small oil leak from one of the front bolts / grommets. Do people usually do it all in pairs - that what I do to the LHS, I should do the same to the RHS?

- - - Updated - - -

THE UGLY..... I

I did say that I would write about this. Please ask the children and elderly to leave the room. Thank you.

As Nicki Minaj a 3 said "OMG look at that butt. Compensate much, gmak?" What is with these tips? I get the idea of a muffler delete - especially with the scuba tank - but man! I could put an eggplant or big grapefruit into each of these. Plus the pipe was welded with a bar to the frame - no clamp for if you ever want to drop the exhaust system (driveshaft work, anyone?).
    new ugly 01.jpgnew ugly 02.jpg

I've ordered this Magnaflow muffler. I'll get a muffler shop to straighten out the mess. There were some reviews - many complained about the lack of noise from the muffler. Perfect!

Magnaflow muffler.jpg

More ugly.... Someone must have replaced the original PDC sensors on the car. There are error codes on the PDC system for one of the outside left and right sensors. Plus these are black and I'm sure the original ones would have been colour-coordinated with the colour. Then there is the interface to the Kenwood HU. who knows how that was set up. End result - no PDC, just the backup camera (more ugly). I've done some PDC work on my 530xi. I've used Ebay sensors and painted the ends the colour of the car. They're still working a couple of years later.
    new ugly 03.jpg

Speak of the devil. Sorry for the poor focus. This little puppy was welded to the trunk lid above the license plate. It's black. Weren't here any available that fit in the license plate light in the last year? I know I used one for my 528i and it works just fine. When I back up, the green/yellow /red distance lines are up in the middle of the screen attesting to the 'quality' alignment of the camera. I'll have to make sure that the weld joint isn't a candidate for rust and paint the black plastic carefully with a flat white or silver paint.

new ugly 04.jpg
    Last edited by gmak; 08-29-2015 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

The UGLY II

Here is a scrape on the back bumper that looks like a close encounter with a blue car. If I eventually go to an M-technic rear then the point is moot. If not, then i'll have to wet sand / paint / buffing compound etc.
    new ugly 05 close encounter with blue car.jpg

By the way, for those who think that the trim was painted - it could be ordered the same colour as the car I believe. I've seen a video of a walk around of a 2002 540i M-tecnic that has the same moulding colour scheme. So there.

The ugly continues, against the advice of learned doctors and psychologists. Maybe this is just a fantasy in the brain of a Komoda dragon basking on the beach near the Galapagos islands.

Here there is a tiny bump at the edge of the hood - but the hood looks like it's not fitting flush with the front of the fender. This bears investigation. Probably a simple adjustment like one I had to make on my 530.

new ugly 06.jpg

More scrapes - this time on the front bumper. Could this be one of the causes of the minor hood misalignment? I am getting an Umnitza M5 front bumper for the car with the round fog lights (xenon). I think that I will go with ABS. But before I do, I will be speaking with them again to see what additional parts I need to buy to make this work on the 540 - including my silver bumper mouldings - I doubt they're transferable and probably most ones around will be black. This might put a stop to this operation (I guess I don't want to buy black ones and paint them silver).
    new ugly 08.jpg

What is this? I know it's some kind of antenna - probably to get better radio or cell reception. It goes through the glass (BMW by the way) into the other side. Is this something BMW? I somehow doubt it. SO someone had to drill through the glass and install this deliberately, and then add the tint after the fact. The mind boggles about what people do to these wonderful cars in the interest of expediency.
    new ugly 09.jpg

That's about all the ugly I have for now. I'm sure that I'll find more as I go forward. I think now that I know what evil lurks in the hearts of men - just like the Shadow. And it ain't pretty. It's ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to summarize what I am focusing on going forward:

1. Whistling sound around 3500 rpm that is not speed dependent but throttle dependent - some kind of tiny tiny vacuum leak, maybe?
    2. The clunking noise from the LHS valve cover at the front, and the small oil leak from the front of the same valve cover
    3. Fluid and filter changes
    4. Getting a proper key and figuring out why the current one only works after the car had been started by the valet's ey.

Other stuff
    5. Getting the magnaflow muffler and getting rid of those ginormous tips
    6. Getting the window tint professionally removed
    6. Getting the pixels fixed.

Where I need some advice and help: The key issue. The clunking noise in the video issue; and, the whistling (not at idle).

- - - Updated - - -
    RELATED TO THE THUNKING NOISE IN MY VIDEO:
    I found this which is from a car that had loose spark plugs. It sounds a lot like my noise in terms of timbre. The frequency is different, but that could be explained by different idle RPMs.

Think that tomorrow I have to check the plugs. I want to anyway. This will be my first foray into removing the first layer of the 540i motor.
    Last edited by gmak; 09-25-2015 at 03:37 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I think that generally cars in Canada are cheaper now 1) because we didn't have that ridiculous cash for clunkers that destroyed used-car inventory; and, ii) You cannot borrow money to buy a car older than (I think) 5 years. So the demand has to come from those with cash (or "home Equity" lines of credit -snicker).
    Oh yeah, cash for clunkers decimated the used car market and inflated prices for quite a while. It still makes me sad to think of how many E39's died because of it. And here in the US, most places won't give you an auto loan on a car over 5 years/125,000 miles either. But you can still easily get a personal loan, they just tend to have higher interest rates since they don't have the car as collateral.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Here is a scrape on the back bumper that looks like a close encounter with a blue car. If I eventually go to an M-technic rear then the point is moot. If not, then i'll have to wet sand / paint / buffing compound etc.
    By the way, for those who think that the trim was painted - it could be ordered the same colour as the car I believe. I've seen a video of a walk around of a 2002 540i M-tecnic that has the same moulding colour scheme. So there.
    LOL!

When people on the board say painted trim, it is because the trim is painted, but they mean by the factory. Painted body color--The facelift cars all got painted trim. So there!

Personally I don't like it, especially on a silver car, really needs the black trim to provide contrast. Check out an //M5 -- but as always with visual stuff, whatever floats your boat.

--------

What is this? I know it's some kind of antenna - probably to get better radio or cell reception. It goes through the glass (BMW by the way) into the other side. Is this something BMW? I somehow doubt it. SO someone had to drill through the glass and install this deliberately, and then add the tint after the fact. The mind boggles about what people do to these wonderful cars in the interest of expediency.
    new ugly 09.jpg
    That's factory, OE

Just to summarize what I am focusing on going forward:

1. Whistling sound around 3500 rpm that is not speed dependent but throttle dependent - some kind of tiny tiny vacuum leak, maybe?
    2. The clunking noise from the LHS valve cover at the front, and the small oil leak from the front of the same valve cover
    3. Fluid and filter changes
    4. Getting a proper key and figuring out why the current one only works after the car had been started by the valet's ey.

Think that tomorrow I have to check the plugs. I want to anyway. This will be my first foray into removing the first layer of the 540i motor.
    Check for oil in the plug wells -- if there is, that gasket needs to be replaced. IF you are pulling the plugs anyway might as well replace 'em since this car is new to you.

Also, remember to inspect all areas of cooling system and insure it is in good order. This is important

I didn't have time to check the vid but will later

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

Aug 30, 2015: We start work bit by bit.

My son was over with relatives visiting. As I may have mentioned, he finally wants to learn how to do some of this stuff because he has his eye on my immaculate 528i (1998).

I was interested in seeing what was under the beauty covers. Off they came, along with the spark plug /coil covers. Looks like it was driven through a 1930s dust bowl storm.
    20150830 starting work.jpg

Long story short, we started cleaning up the dust and dirt. We replaced all the vacuum lines that were easy with silicone. Things are starting to look better. I set my apprentice to cleaning up things. He didn't complain and took a patient slow approach. The plastic cover on the top of the firewall has started to crumble and chunks came off. I guess time has taken its toll. A new one is in order. As well, the ambient temperature is now showing -40 degrees celsius. Looks like I need a new one of those as well.
    20150830 vacuum hoses in.jpg

We swapped spark plugs and coils back and forth on the LHS (Drivers) - I guess that's cylinders 5 - 8 from the front of the engine. This was inspired by ViolinArc's videos of before and after his coil replacement with a knocking sound similar to what I have. We were using a stethoscope to try to determine where the noise was coming from. Replacing the spark plugs with some slightly used ones I had on hand made the knocking go away. Then it came back but slightly different. My conclusion is that it's the VANOS on that side.

Here is the video

Here is ViolinArc's video of his knocking, just to provide a contrast. Mine sounded like this a bit before all the song and dance with coils and spark plugs. In the end, I have 3 different spark plugs in there with the old coils. I'll be ordering 8 new NGKs. Back to the video: Allowing for different phone/camera microphones, it seems to have a different timbre and frequency.

We also used the stethoscope to try to isolate that whistle that I talked about in an earlier post. Definitely the THROTTLE. I guess the best course of action is to replace the two gaskets, unless someone has a better idea.

Finally we put everything back together. Here is the engine bay more or less clean and all buttoned down.
    20150830 buttoned down.jpg
    Last edited by gmak; 08-30-2015 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Nice job cleaning that up, my 2001 540i looked like that too. Ended up replacing a bunch of the lines with silicone as well.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Nice job cleaning that up, my 2001 540i looked like that too. Ended up replacing a bunch of the lines with silicone as well.
    Was size vacuum lines do you all use? Definitely something I need to do.

Looks like a solid car. I really do like the classic look of those wheels. They're probably the best looking for pre-facelift cars IMO.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I just bought a BMW vacuum line and snipped it into the lengths I needed. I probably paid a little too much but whatever. Here's what I used: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rp-11747797082

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    I bought generic silicone line, a kit that contained various sizes about 3 years ago when I did the lines in my 528i. I just used whatever fit. My guess is 3mm / 4mm ID. The OD is a bit thicker so there isn't any collapse from the vacuum.
    Last edited by gmak; 08-30-2015 at 06:04 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

Black may be the new black, but I don't like this dark side

I can't believe how tired I am already of the black, and black, and black interior. I'm really looking for some ideas here. My initial thought was add some grey to kind of go with the silver exterior. I was thinking maybe a grew lower front dash (European), grey center console (European with the moving and flip top lid), grey floor mats, and grey plastic around the sides of the seats and the door sill plastic bits. Looking for that two tone effect to be able to keep the great black Montana leather seats. Of course, then I might have to go with a grey rear window shelf, and maybe grey door skins. Too much?

I almost bought a silver M3 (missed it by 1 hour) a year ago that was silver exterior like mine (same colour mouldings) but with a red interior.l I wonder if I could do the grey thing above, but with a red / red-orange or if that would not look right with the black dash and black seats?

All ideas are welcome. I just need to get out of the 'dark side', especially as the window tint comes off.

For the window tinting, I'm going to by an inexpensive clothes steamer and use heat. I've seen this on you tube. But first I'm going to search around to see if anyone else here has gone through this process. I'm really not keen on someone scraping my windows with razor blades and spraying ammonia everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -
    I found this picture, and I think that this would be the easiest solution of all. Cover all the wood trim with red leather.
    Red leather covering the trim.

- - - Updated - - -

I've decided to be vain and shallow and put on an M5 bumper cover in front so that the car doesn't look like my 528i.

I've gone with the Umnitza offering and pre-paint, xenon fog lamps. I'm going to have to take the front rocker panel moldings (#4 here) off of my existing bumper cover because all the moldings are titansilber, not black, on this car. I've chosen poly instead of ABS because of how hell-frozen-over cold it gets in winter. Plus, there are lots of old people still driving and I've had numerous Car-TDs on my bumpers from parking lot incidents when I'm not around. ABS wouild just crack every time. With poly, I have a fighting chance to repair the damage. The trade-off is that I might have to play with the fit around the wheel wells, but I understand that I can make adjustments to the side slots on the car that the bumper fits int. That and foam may be my best friends.

Umitza and I spoke at length about the quality of the pain job for the bumper because of how far away I am, and the fact that neither of us wants to be in a position where we have to replace the bumper and ship all sorts of things all over half the face of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an update on some of the minor items.

I've also found a shop locally who can cover the wood trim with red leather. They want to see the pieces and the fit first to get an understanding for how much shaving they might have to do. I like that - they're thinking. All I need is to find the time to get over there before they close, sometime this week.

I've also ordered two new keys. My wife agreed to pay for hers if she wants to drive the car. Are you reading this, honey?

I decided not to fiddle with the existing remote key to try to figure out why it will only start the car after it's first been started by the valet key (and then shut off).

Throttle gaskets, lower timing chain tensioner (the piston one), new spark plugs, firewall plastic molding /cover and various bolts and screws are all on order from eeuroparts. I find that they're more 'canada friendly' in how they approach shipping to minimize costs and taxes /duties.

Looking forward to this weekend when I put the car on jackstands and play 3 o'clock /9 oclock with the wheels to see if there is any play. I need to figure out why I get that shudder when I brake gently at higher speeds.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you might need new front rocker panel moldings. The clip location changed from pre-facelift to post-facelift bumpers. Stück had a similar problem when he bought a facelift bumper for his wife's 528i, his existing front rocker panel moldings didn't fit into the facelift slots.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you might need new front rocker panel moldings. The clip location changed from pre-facelift to post-facelift bumpers. Stück had a similar problem when he bought a facelift bumper for his wife's 528i, his existing front rocker panel moldings didn't fit into the facelift slots.
    Thanks for the heads up. It doesn't burst my bubble. I'm really glad to know there might be an issue in advance. They are providing the moldings but they'll be black and porous. I can paint them I guess if I can find a self etching primer that works with the material.

Cheers.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Thanks for the heads up. It doesn't burst my bubble. I'm really glad to know there might be an issue in advance. They are providing the moldings but they'll be black and porous. I can paint them I guess if I can find a self etching primer that works with the material.

Cheers.
    You can certainly paint them yourself. Get some color matched paint at a local hardware/paint store and then it'll look correct.

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast