My Cars
    92 325i Conv, 97 528i

BMW Drive Cycle to get sensors to a READY state

Hello,

I have more experience with my E30, none of this crazy ODBII stuff!! Anyway, I am purchasing a 2001 X5 (pics to come) and the car wont smog because the secondary air pump is not in a READY state. Great. In California its the sellers responsibility, but I worked out a deal with the lady that IF it smogged I'd buy it. Everything else (PPI done) checks out and its very nice.

The Secondary Air would not become ready. I performed the drive cycle about 4 times with info I got here and other sources. Mostly it was the same. Each time I would check with my scan tool and Secondary Air still not READY. After that frustration, my friend at a BMW shop sent me the Drive Cycle instructions.

I saw a few posts on it, but no one got back with a resolution. The Drive Cycle is attached and here are my comments:

CONDITIONS: Important. DO NOT go over 60 mph or 3000 rpm. This is very important at the 40 - 60 mph stage. Be SUPER light on the gas pedal, nice and easy the whole time.

STEP 1: Cold start. Leave car in park, just idle car for 3 minutes. My successful drive was done at 11PM and it was about 50 degrees out (Northern CA). I chose late evening because there's less traffic.

STEP 2: Drive 20 - 30 mph for 4 minutes. So, after idling I drove 25 mph to the roads where I would drive 20 - 30 mph. Drive 20 - 30 (I did 25) CONTINUALLY with NO stops.

STEP 3: For this step, I drove about 40 - 50 to the next road where I knew I could drive 40 - 60 mph for 15 minutes. Once there I drove at 50 - 55 mph CONTINUALLY for 15 minutes with NO STOPS. Warning about cruise control, if you come to a hill turn it off and cruise up the hill and DO NOT go over 3000 rpm. I had a small few hills and CC would have spiked up the rpms for sure to maintain speed.

STEP 4: After the 15 minutes, pull to a safe place and idle IN DRIVE for 5 minutes. In theory a traffice light time frame is good, I chose the 5 minute max. Over wont wreck the cycle, its just the max needed.

STEP 5: It doesn't say this, but, I turned off the car and waited a few minutes, then started up to drive home (forgot my scan tool). I don't think this matters as, in theory, I already satisfied the Drive Cycle requirements, but, good to be safe.

Got home, hooked up my scan tool, pressed Smog Ready button and BOOM! All clear and READY! Just passed Smog Test!

Any questions, let me know. I hope this helps someone as this drove me crazy!

Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Is this the drive cycle you had issues with? If so, these are the instructions I've been posting since 2009...but the only difference I see is approx 45-50 seconds in steps 1 & 2. If those extra seconds are required/needed...then I'll know I need to amend the instructions anytime I post them to add those extra seconds to the first 2 steps.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-26-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    92 325i Conv, 97 528i
    No, I didn't have an issue that, it actually helped! Thanks for posting, I was trying to find it again. That's the Federal Testing Procedure document that made it click in my thick head that one had to maintain a CONTINUOUS speed for the duration of each driving portion. I feel the BMW doc is somewhat unclear in that regard.

However, the document from BMW does have different times. I would say a combo of each would be best; the FTP diagram and verbiage with the BMW times.

Thanks!

Russ

PS: The new rig...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Schleprock; 08-26-2015 at 07:59 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1988 e28 535i
    I tried the drive cycle today with my wife's 2001 x5 and was interrupted with a slow car during the 40-60mph stage. Do I then need to restart from the beginning or just that stage? I tried re-doing just that stage but I didn't turn the car off after the 5 minute idle in gear which may be why I'm still showing 5 sensors not ready. I feel that where I live, that completing this is damn near impossible if you can't restart one of the phases of the cycle. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Hey Russ, I have a 2001 bmw z3 and I have tried the drive cycle thing and I cannot get it to go into ready mode to save my life!! I do not have the scan tool you spoke of to check my readyness myself. You say you are in Northern California. May I inquire where exactly? I live and work in Yosemite and need smog to transfer title to me. I kinda did the same thing you did seller didn't smog it I am now dealing with it. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Get in contact with me either thru email or my cell
    eddiejetmore@hotmail.com
    eddiejetmore@gmail.com
    918-261-5586
    Hope you can help me
    Thanks
    Eddie

My Cars
    92 325i Conv, 97 528i
    I'm by Napa so about 4 hours from Yosemite. Maybe there's an auto store in Sonora that will scan for codes. NAPA, Pep Boys or O'Reilly do it free.

The he drive cycle will get certain sensors Ready IF they are working properly. For example, if your O2 is failing or not performing right, that portion wouldn't clear the cycle.

FYI my scan tool is a Centech, color screen, from Harbor Freight. $75 on sale. Very handy.

Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5, 5 Spd Conv.
    Thanks going to try this tonight...If successful it's off to re-test!