Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to raise the front end up

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ahhh.... Yoo sow smat, I guess if I go that route, I can use the rear, sell the front for fiftyone dollah.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Ahhh ... Yoo sow dum, yes you can go that route, you can use the rear, sell the front for fiftyone dollah.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Wow, der bee eqo inn hear!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    But HO8 bars suck like HO6 bars. You'd want a HO///M bar in the HO6 or HO8, unlike me with my chopsticks as sway bars. Me soooo body rolly
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------Like the late Bill Paxton says repeatedly in Twister "I'm Not Back"---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Never ended this thread.
    It drives nice and smooth, no additional noise or vibration, and corners almost perfectly flat.
    Here's a pic of the spacer ring in the wheel carrier. No more scraping as I go in and out of the garage.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Time for group buy for stancetards.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    No more embarrassing noise pulling out of the driveway!! Is adding this spacer a common technique for raising ride height as I never saw it before? Seems like a fairly easy thing to do and seems like you got plenty of clamp on the strut. Excuse my lack of knowledge here.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Never heard of anyone doing it before. About the only options I've seen were to buy the thicker (rough terrain) lower spring pads or to get different springs.
    Then I remembered about the strut tube having different diameters at the bottom end which set how far down in the wheel carrier it would slide. If I could limit the amount of strut drop into the wheel carrier that would raise the front end. Much cheaper option that the above 2.
    So now I'm clearing the garage apron by 1/4".
    Time to get an alignment done next week.
    Last edited by JimLev; 09-01-2015 at 05:00 PM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Looks very clever actually. Is the wall thickness of the spacer equal to the gap so it all clamps up tight? Meaning the shim gets squeezed when the strut tube gets squeezed? Glad to see those FSDS are still doing well for you.

With the thicker front bar, can you really notice the improved roll resistance? I chickened out on the thicker Eibach thinking it would be too much.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The OD was 0.015 larger than the fat part of the strut when machined. I put a cut thru the ring so it would compress nice and tight when the pinch bolt was tightened.
    The ID was about 0.010 large than the lower part of the strut tube so it would slip on. The tube wasn't perfect so some clearance was required.
    The ring is made from aluminum and the FSD tube is steel.

Yes, I notice much less body roll, you need to have the rear Eibach too.
    Do it.

I could have bought coil overs too, not going to happen.
    Last edited by JimLev; 09-01-2015 at 07:38 PM.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Jim - Hats off to you man! I had to remove the DINAN sway bar from my parts car today. What a royal PAIN! It took me about 4+ hours to get it out. Must be the worst designed sway EVER! You make it look easy - shows great competency. Nice work sir!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Not an easy job if you've never done it before. This was the 3rd one I've done.....and hopefully the last!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    The OD was 0.015 larger than the fat part of the strut when machined. I put a cut thru the ring so it would compress nice and tight when the pinch bolt was tightened.
    The ID was about 0.010 large than the lower part of the strut tube so it would slip on. The tube wasn't perfect so some clearance was required.

Do it.

Sounds perfect on the fit and tolerances. Nice solution for a simple small rise and keeping all your existing struts/springs.

On the front bar, I don't plan on changing to the Eibach front anytime soon, but who knows down the road. It was a sort of bastard to swap in the M5 bar with the subframe totally out of the car!

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    You have the M5 bar in your car now?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    You have the M5 bar in your car now?
    Yups. When I did that thread on the new headers/exhaust, M5 steering box, and M5 bar earlier this year. I really like how the car drives now, but who knows down the road.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Didn't know you did the bar with the box. In that case there isn't a BIG difference from M5 to Eibach. If you were going stock bar to Eibach then yes, very noticeable.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.

Do it.

Reviving an old thread. Jim, I'm running Eibach ProKit springs and Koni Yellow struts/shocks now. The front is a wee bit low. Do you think the spacers you had made would fit my struts? Also, how much did the spacer raise the height? Could you post some photos of the spacer, the spacer installed on the strut, and a before and after shot of your car?

Any chance you might have a couple extra of those spacers lying around?

--Peter
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Don't the Koni yellows have 3 settings for height based on notches in the body and a circ-clip? Or is that just in the rear shocks?
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Peter, I sold the last set I had a few months ago.
    Pretty sure I have all the dimensions you need, yes they will fit your Koni yellows.
    I will post info and pics later today, need to do a bunch of errands this morning.

Gmak, your thinking of the rear shocks.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Peter, I sold the last set I had a few months ago.
    Pretty sure I have all the dimensions you need, yes they will fit your Koni yellows.
    I will post info and pics later today, need to do a bunch of errands this morning.

Gmak, your thinking of the rear shocks.
    Awesome, Jim, and thanks! I recall that your car's front looked very low in earlier photos; I'm curious to see what your setup looks like now. Would love to know what your height was, fender-to-center-of-wheel (aka center of hub), before and after the spacer so I can anticipate how mine will set up.

Also, belated thanks for your tip to try the Vibrant muffler. I went with single oval outlet, which fits perfectly. Looks very similar to the Dinan muffler outlet. Sounds MUCH better than before -- more throaty, a little louder, but not too crazy for the 52-year-old me.

Gmak, as Jim noted, you can only modify height settings on the rear Koni Yellows. The fronts are a fixed height, although it sure would be nice if they were set up similarly to the rears.

--P

P.S. I STILL can't post photos -- I can select the file to attach in the pop-up dialogue box, but after that it doesn't show a "save" button (or whatever). Between this issue and the BimmerForums app no longer working on my phone, I'm more than frustrated.
    Last edited by peter540; 12-13-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Peter,
    My center of the wheel to the fender lip is 13.5", it use to be 13".
    Here's some spacer info. Well find ID and OD and a few pics in a bit.
    StrutRings_1.JPG

I slit them with a hacksaw as they were a tight fit on the bottom of my FSD's.
    F_Eibach7.JPG

F_Eibach8.JPG

F_Eibach9.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Before raising the front 1/2".
    Your tires may be different, so go by the 13 and 13.5" I referenced above.
    The lip is even with the top of the tread before I raised the front.
    I still need to find the spacer info.

At Johns.JPG

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Spacer drawing, is before the slice.

StrutRing.JPG

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    How are you liking the FSDs? They were my favorite upgrade to my old 530iA.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I really like them, not stiff and handle the bumps well. Think I have 75K on them now. My OE struts and shocks were toast at 80K which is when I put the FSD's on.
    The H&R springs are maybe 15% stiffer than the OE's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast