Thread: Engine swap: 1994 325i or 1996 328i for my 1995 325i

My Cars
    1995 325i

Engine swap: 1994 325i or 1996 328i for my 1995 325i

So I'm going to be breathing life back into my 1995 325i by dropping an engine in. A local guy has a 94 325i donor and a 96 328i with roughly the same miles and I heard them both run and they sound good. He thinks the 328i sounds a little more healthy. Anyways both cars are the same price. I'm wondering which engine would be less of a nightmare to put into my 95 325i. What complications should I anticipate from either?

Thanks beforehand for your input. I use to lurk this forum before but was never a member but now that I'm coming back to my bmw, I decided to see if I could get advice.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    They are going to be basically identical in terms of install.. So it seems like the m52 would be a no brainer. Just run your OBD1 sensors; crank sensor on timing cover, knock sensors. Get a coolant temp sender adapter from turner and a coolant hose adapter for the timing cover coolant port.

My Cars
    1993 325i
    I'm no pro and I'm sure others will chime in momentarily but I would say, get the 2.8. I heard it's a much stronger engine and it has the grunt down. I'm thinking both engines will be straight forward swap. If you go with the 2.8, I think it would be easiest to convert it back to OBDI using an OBDI engine harness along with the intake manifold. You'll be able to plug it right in to your stock DME in case you have the EWS.

My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP, E36/S50
    Hey, a couple things to keep in mind:

1. The easier of the two will definitely be the 325i. It is exactly the same engine as your 95, so you literally won't need to change anything but the engine (apart from maintenance and stuff you'll want to do while the engine is out).
    2. The 328 engine is probably going to the "better" engine of the two. But this is going to require OBDII to OBDI. this makes the swap more complicated. apart from that, everything else should bolt straight up, just like the 325 engine.
    3. Do you want to register you car? I have heard that some states do not allow you to register a car that is NEWER than an engine that was swapped in. In other words, if you use the 94 engine, but your chassis is a 95, you won't be able to register the car. Please fact check this yourself, based on your state laws.

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    An obdII engine can be swapped into an obdI car and left obdII. The ecu would need to be aligned properly ews wise. I think most tuners offer it.

I went obd1 s52 and while the conversion is straightforward it wasn't dirt cheap either. I replaced every sensor with brand new as well as all gaskets. I would guess I have about a grand in the conversion but I did go overkill with the new parts due to my power goals. Old knock sensors tend to fall apart when removed so at the very least I would replace those with new.

My opinion is m50 to m50 swap will be the easiest of course. If it were me I would prefer the m52 swap for the extra go.
    Last edited by 1rstbmw!; 08-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.

OBDI CES cutring S52 /86.5mm 11:5.1 , eagle rods
    TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rstbmw! View Post
    An obdII engine can be swapped into an obdI car and left obdII. The ecu would need to be aligned properly ews wise. I think most tuners offer it.

I went obd1 s52 and while the conversion is straightforward it wasn't dirt cheap either. I replaced every sensor with brand new as well as all gaskets. I would guess I have about a grand in the conversion but I did go overkill with the new parts due to my power goals. Old knock sensors tend to fall apart when removed so at the very least I would replace those with new.
    How did you put a grand into the swap parts?

I put an s52 in my 95, and in swap related parts I spent;
    $30 coolant temp sender adapter
    $30 coolant port adapter for timing cover
    $15 OBD2 coolant temp sender

I guess you are including all new sensors and gaskets. But thats something you should do with any engine thats out of the car. In terms of EXTRA costs of putting in an m52 in place of an m50.. its negligible..
    Last edited by rajicase; 08-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    94 332iT/99 M3/98 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    How did you put a grand into the swap parts?

I put an s52 in my 95, and in swap related parts I spent;
    $30 coolant temp sender adapter
    $30 coolant port adapter for timing cover
    $15 OBD2 coolant temp sender

I guess you are including all new sensors and gaskets. But thats something you should do with any engine thats out of the car. In terms of EXTRA costs of putting in an m52 in place of an m50.. its negligible..
    obd1 wire harness and 413 red label $250 roundabout
    tune $250
    gaskets $100 or so. It's been a while.
    all new sensors was quite a bit. I don't recall exactly. If I kept up with all that was in that e36 I might get sick . Lol

OBDI CES cutring S52 /86.5mm 11:5.1 , eagle rods
    TRM GT35r Kit

My Cars
    04 Honda Accord Coupe V6
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgosselin9 View Post
    Hey, a couple things to keep in mind: 1. The easier of the two will definitely be the 325i. It is exactly the same engine as your 95, so you literally won't need to change anything but the engine (apart from maintenance and stuff you'll want to do while the engine is out). 2. The 328 engine is probably going to the "better" engine of the two. But this is going to require OBDII to OBDI. this makes the swap more complicated. apart from that, everything else should bolt straight up, just like the 325 engine. 3. Do you want to register you car? I have heard that some states do not allow you to register a car that is NEWER than an engine that was swapped in. In other words, if you use the 94 engine, but your chassis is a 95, you won't be able to register the car. Please fact check this yourself, based on your state laws.
    For 3. If it's the exact same motor, just swap it in (even if it's older) and it will never even be questioned. It's not like it's checked lol.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rstbmw! View Post
    obd1 wire harness and 413 red label $250 roundabout
    tune $250
    gaskets $100 or so. It's been a while.
    all new sensors was quite a bit. I don't recall exactly. If I kept up with all that was in that e36 I might get sick . Lol
    Yeah.. know the feeling lol