Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: E34 Off-Topic Lounge v.Almost Fall 2015 --->**NO Profanity**<---

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    Just in case he needs to run a plasma cutter, tig welder, 3 phase compressor, drill press, battery charger and lift all at the same time, while keeping the lights on and the beer in the fridge cold?
    ROFL my house has 200A, this is my parents new place. They have a lot of stuff to run but I admit 400A is ridiculous.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    I have to rewire my garage before winter. It has 60 y/o non direct burial cable semi buried underground. The insulation is flaking off, its a fire hazzard. The garage has the old school screw in buss fuses. There was a penny stuffed behind one of them when i bought the house 6 months ago! i can't even run my little 10gallon air compressor without tripping the breaker inside the house. I'd be happy with 100A service haha
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    Scrap
    Congrats Greg!

My Cars
    1993 525i/5, 1995 530/5

My Cars
    1992 525
    Met user Knums by chance today. Working at a helicopter repair station on the side and I had my E34 parked outside. The owners son and his friends came in and Knums recognized my car and was like " Are you on Bimmerfourms? Are you "S61Dan?" lol Had some laughs and talked E34s for little. Nice meetin you man!
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by S61Dan View Post
    Met user Knums by chance today. Working at a helicopter repair station on the side and I had my E34 parked outside. The owners son and his friends came in and Knums recognized my car and was like " Are you on Bimmerfourms? Are you "S61Dan?" lol Had some laughs and talked E34s for little. Nice meetin you man!
    Thats cool man - where you working at?

My Cars
    1992 525
    Small Overhaul place of at Q-Town Airport. It's a Robinson Helicopters repair station.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Small Overhaul place of at Q-Town Airport. It's a Robinson Helicopters repair station.
    That's cool man good deal

My Cars
    1992 525
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    That's cool man good deal
    its-something.png
    Last edited by S61Dan; 09-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Something is always good

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Unless it's Lenovo, then it's evil and should be destroyed.

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    Lenovo is one of those companies like Blackberry - no matter how terrible (I've had nothing but great luck with my Lenovo laptop...lasted me 4 years of hard work constantly with school work), their contracts with the government is enough to keep them afloat.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by clevertd View Post
    Unless it's Lenovo, then it's evil and should be destroyed.
    Only if you care about your privacy and don't like root kits like the rest of the population

My Cars
    E34, E368
    You severely underestimate the rest of the population.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Yes, I do Lee. Remember, I worked at a 70,000 employee DOD contractor with probably 500,000 endpoints. Lenovo LSE/Superfish turdware caused us huge issue.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08...irmware_nasty/

Slimy as shit. There's no need to inject drivers/software/turdware into an OS at boot, over and over again. What part of that is not intentional? Are you talking about the first rootkit-like software that Lenovo slipped into every endpoint or the second

Well you can't, and that's good because you don't understand how slimy this situation is/was.

No, I am not suggesting he quit. But that doesn't change the fact that the decision to inject software store in the BIOS/firmware into the OS despite a user completely blowing out their laptop isn't creepy, invasive, and really really lame.

This "feature" cost huge corporations tons of money because their builds could not be kept to a standard because Lenovo decided to slip turdware (with vulnerability issues) that reports back to Chinese networks. Having worked at DOD contractor, this cause us HUGE amounts of pain.

"Lenovo's variant of this system file ensures LenovoUpdate.exe and LenovoCheck.exe are present in the operating system's system32 directory, and if not, it will copy the executables into that directory during boot up. So if you uninstall or delete these programs, the LSE in the firmware will bring them back during the next power-on or reboot.

LenovoCheck and LenovoUpdate are executed on startup with full administrator access. Automatically, and rather rudely, they connect to the internet to download and install drivers, a system "optimizer", and whatever else Lenovo wants on your computer. Lenovo's software also phones home to the Chinese giant details of the running system."

But I am sure you know more about it.

BTW - the only reason Lenovo removed it was because Microsoft modified their best practices regarding the WPBT implementation (since Lenovo's was insecure) and as a result, in order to qualify as a supported Microsoft product Lenovo HAD to remove this shit. Its cute - do you know what it's like to upgrade firmware on a half million endpoints globally? It's a real good time. So glad I only deal with servers these days
    Um... Jon. None of that stuff was on our corporate products. Zero. Anyone who went looking for superfish or the driver checker thing on a Think-branded system wasn't reading the (generally poorly written) press. Any the "only" statement you made is also entirely wrong. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. .

I don't think you know what my job is, but I can assure you that in this case I know far, far more about it than you do. I didn't even need all the inaccuracies in your post to know that.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW - I'm not saying mistakes weren't made, but they weren't intentional or in any way for nefarious purposes. People like a good conspiracy theory.
    Last edited by e24mpwr; 09-02-2015 at 06:00 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    Um... Jon. None of that stuff was on our corporate products. Zero. Anyone who went looking for superfish or the driver checker thing on a Think-branded system wasn't reading the (generally poorly written) press. Any the "only" statement you made is also entirely wrong. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. .

I don't think you know what my job is, but I can assure you that in this case I know far, far more about it than you do. I didn't even need all the inaccuracies in your post to know that.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW - I'm not saying mistakes weren't made, but they weren't intentional or in any way for nefarious purposes. People like a good conspiracy theory.
    Again, I don't understand how you can actually say they weren't intentional. Dell ships bloatware, you uninstall it or reformat an endpoint and you're set to install vanilla OS. Lenovo you format the PC, the garbages gets back in regardless of what you do because its embedded in the BIOS/firmware and invoked at boot. On top of that, there was a vulnerability in their delivery - I don't think that was intentional, but that's like saying "I was doing 120 mph down in my 911 turbo and a piece of my tire killed a pedestrian when it blew out." Obviously the intent wasn't to kill a pedestrian, but it happened during a negligent act. You must be in crisis PR No other distributor goes to the lengths that Lenovo did to put their crapware into the machine.

You keep mentioning "intent" - so what exactly was the intent with including Superfish!? "We want to innocently, passively, no-harm-no-foul allow this adware product to monitor your screen so that you can get spammed with ads that are relevant to you - we had the best intentions!" Um... then the whole creep ball negligent act actually opened up their entire fleet of PCs to a universally signed CA allowing Superfish to read SSL encrypted pages to put ads on it! I come from the technical world of understanding how SSL encryption works, why its important that no such thing as a universal CA exist, and the effect it can have. Both of these issues have left Lenovo as being criticized by having made "one of the most irresponsible mistakes an established tech company has ever made" by prominent software engineers in security journals. Again, sure, a mistake, like speeding down a highway and hitting someone. "Judge, I wasn't trying to kill anyone I was just trying to be a giant asshole."

Let's change topics because we won't see eye to eye on this one.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 09-02-2015 at 08:51 AM.

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    Did you guys just watch The Internship?

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman

Again, I don't understand how you can actually say they weren't intentional. Dell ships bloatware, you uninstall it or reformat an endpoint and you're set to install vanilla OS. Lenovo you format the PC, the garbages gets back in regardless of what you do because its embedded in the BIOS/firmware and invoked at boot. On top of that, there was a vulnerability in their delivery - I don't think that was intentional, but that's like saying "I was doing 120 mph down in my 911 turbo and a piece of my tire killed a pedestrian when it blew out." Obviously the intent wasn't to kill a pedestrian, but it happened during a negligent act. You must be in crisis PR No other distributor goes to the lengths that Lenovo did to put their crapware into the machine.

You keep mentioning "intent" - so what exactly was the intent with including Superfish!? "We want to innocently, passively, no-harm-no-foul allow this adware product to monitor your screen so that you can get spammed with ads that are relevant to you - we had the best intentions!" Um... then the whole creep ball negligent act actually opened up their entire fleet of PCs to a universally signed CA allowing Superfish to read SSL encrypted pages to put ads on it! I come from the technical world of understanding how SSL encryption works, why its important that no such thing as a universal CA exist, and the effect it can have. Both of these issues have left Lenovo as being criticized by having made "one of the most irresponsible mistakes an established tech company has ever made" by prominent software engineers in security journals. Again, sure, a mistake, like speeding down a highway and hitting someone. "Judge, I wasn't trying to kill anyone I was just trying to be a giant asshole."

Let's change topics because we won't see eye to eye on this one.
    Jon - you're wandering all over the place. I'm any case, nothing like that shipped on commercial PC's, and you seem to understand about 30% of the facts and circumstances on the consumer side, and buying into some of the hyperbole to boot. I'm guessing we could have a beverage discussion and you'd be more clear, but an internet forum like this isn't the place to have the conversation.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve547i View Post
    Congrats Greg!
    Thanks Steve!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    Jon - you're wandering all over the place. I'm any case, nothing like that shipped on commercial PC's, and you seem to understand about 30% of the facts and circumstances on the consumer side, and buying into some of the hyperbole to boot. I'm guessing we could have a beverage discussion and you'd be more clear, but an internet forum like this isn't the place to have the conversation.
    I never said the commercial side had the specific issue. The problem is that the instance is damning. You're also assuming every enterprise purchase is commercial grade - it's not, unfortunately. We have dozens of clients who purchase non-business grade endpoints. The difference should be warranty and support, not "adware and rootkits in your firmware or not". Guess who doesn't get recommended by MSPs when they're asked for build outs by clients?

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Is it Gateway?

My Cars
    Suck
    eMachines?

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    89 535i, 91 fox body GT
    Maybe a Compaq?

My Cars
    BMWs