Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: E34 Off-Topic Lounge v.Almost Fall 2015 --->**NO Profanity**<---

My Cars
    Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by S61Dan View Post
    I wouldnt doubt it man in the back is all kinds of stuff. I can look up their number if you want it/ tell you where its at
    Post up the number sir. I needs me another disaster.

My Cars
    ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by S61Dan View Post
    I wouldnt doubt it man in the back is all kinds of stuff. I can look up their number if you want it/ tell you where its at
    Hold on. Is it a secret junkyard?

If so, get ready for WWIII with Binny
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    1992 525
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonator134 View Post

Why is that? lol It's not a junkyard, it's an indy BMW shop that sells cars/ has a bunch of junk bmws behind it.
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    95 540i/6 07 cibic si
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonator134 View Post

My Cars
    89 535i, 91 fox body GT
    Rofl.... swing and a miss

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    I'm a nobody, but the other part is right
    Ugh dude - Lenovo, really?

Barf.

I have a few of their servers which are alright (aside from Lenovo not offering customized ESXi images), but their desktop/laptop root kits are laughable. Borderline disturbing.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post

Barf.

I have a few of their servers which are alright (aside from Lenovo not offering customized ESXi images), but their desktop/laptop root kits are laughable. Borderline disturbing.
    You apparently don't have understanding for the (regrettable but not intentional) situation you're referring to. Par for the course with you though.

My Cars
    ///M5
    :
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    E46 M3

Barf.

Great post, would delete if I could...
    Are you suggesting he quit because you do not approve of lenovo?

My Cars
    BMWs
    You apparently don't have understanding for the (regrettable but not intentional) situation you're referring to. Par for the course with you though.
    Yes, I do Lee. Remember, I worked at a 70,000 employee DOD contractor with probably 500,000 endpoints. Lenovo LSE/Superfish turdware caused us huge issue.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08...irmware_nasty/

Slimy as shit. There's no need to inject drivers/software/turdware into an OS at boot, over and over again. What part of that is not intentional? Are you talking about the first rootkit-like software that Lenovo slipped into every endpoint or the second

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    Great post, would delete if I could...
    Are you suggesting he quit because you do not approve of lenovo?
    Well you can't, and that's good because you don't understand how slimy this situation is/was.

No, I am not suggesting he quit. But that doesn't change the fact that the decision to inject software store in the BIOS/firmware into the OS despite a user completely blowing out their laptop isn't creepy, invasive, and really really lame.

This "feature" cost huge corporations tons of money because their builds could not be kept to a standard because Lenovo decided to slip turdware (with vulnerability issues) that reports back to Chinese networks. Having worked at DOD contractor, this cause us HUGE amounts of pain.

"Lenovo's variant of this system file ensures LenovoUpdate.exe and LenovoCheck.exe are present in the operating system's system32 directory, and if not, it will copy the executables into that directory during boot up. So if you uninstall or delete these programs, the LSE in the firmware will bring them back during the next power-on or reboot.

LenovoCheck and LenovoUpdate are executed on startup with full administrator access. Automatically, and rather rudely, they connect to the internet to download and install drivers, a system "optimizer", and whatever else Lenovo wants on your computer. Lenovo's software also phones home to the Chinese giant details of the running system."

But I am sure you know more about it.

BTW - the only reason Lenovo removed it was because Microsoft modified their best practices regarding the WPBT implementation (since Lenovo's was insecure) and as a result, in order to qualify as a supported Microsoft product Lenovo HAD to remove this shit. Its cute - do you know what it's like to upgrade firmware on a half million endpoints globally? It's a real good time. So glad I only deal with servers these days
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 08-31-2015 at 08:47 AM.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Cool story bro

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by PorscheH6 View Post
    Cool story bro
    "You don't know anything about anything.... AS USUAL"
    - A 12 year old at recess

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    I'm not going to delve but so far into it, but the net is this: that is a wholly different part of Lenovo (consumer - I'm on the corporate side) which in both cases did things that are regrettable, but absolutely weren't done with ill intent in mind. I won't defend that either happened or that there were security exposure, but all of the conspiracy theories in articles like that are really poor journalism, because they imply something that just isn't true. And, of course, none of those things are on the Think line.

My Cars
    Scrap
    Save the conspiracy theories for just over a week from now.

My Cars
    89 535i, 91 fox body GT
    I'm not going to delve but so far into it, but the net is this: that is a wholly different part of Lenovo (consumer - I'm on the corporate side) which in both cases did things that are regrettable, but absolutely weren't done with ill intent in mind. I won't defend that either happened or that there were security exposure, but all of the conspiracy theories in articles like that are really poor journalism, because they imply something that just isn't true. And, of course, none of those things are on the Think line.
    Like pretty much every big corporation in some manner or another at some point in their existence.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Lee I didn't say you were involved... but the company, corp or consumer, made the decision which is a bit lamesauce.

The only complain I have on the Think side is the total lack of preconfigured VMWare ESXi images. We primarily use Dell and HP for mission critical in our datacenters, but may use Lenovo from time to time for on-site client hosts. Without a customized VMware ESXi image published by Lenovo I can almost guarantee that every time we deploy one the RAID will not be recognized in the current version of ESXi and I have to customize the ISO myself. Sucks because almost every other manufacturer (Cisco, Dell, HP, IBM even) offer images for their servers so that you can plop the ISO over IPMI and get the host up as quickly as possible. I have some Lenovo TS servers at home on my own network which have been great for me since they are admittedly a lower cost of entry server, but it's been working fine. Still had to customize my own ESXi image to get the OS to see the integrated NICs, though.

What Lenovo did on their laptop/desktop line (and I wouldn't say it's just consumer as it was pretty much their entire endpoint collection) was super skeezy.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 09-01-2015 at 08:22 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 530i, 2004 X5
    A few minutes ago I was on an English language car forum, and suddenly somehow I found myself here.
    Volatility is the green car.

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    28585k.jpg
    muuhhhaaaiiiiii mmmmglaven!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by longwayhome23 View Post
    A few minutes ago I was on an English language car forum, and suddenly somehow I found myself here.
    sorry

I get annoyed when someone tells me I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to infrastructure

In a somewhat related/unrelated manner...

I picked up this rack: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...ase_sku=ar3100

For $150! It was missing the front door though. But, it came with two sets of rear doors, so I had to fabricate an extra 2 hinges so I can hang 4 doors on a rack that usually only has 3. I turned some metal into useful parts over the weekend:

2015-08-28_09-57-12 by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

2015-08-28_09-49-37 by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

2015-08-29_05-17-24 by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

Not my best welding or machining but I only had a couple hours to knock it out so I could get it over to my parents new house that's being built.

Picked up some sweet APC PDUs as well:

PDUs by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

And it'll all get hooked up to (2) 200A panels... yeah, they went and installed 400A residential service... they're crazy like that.

New House by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

I have to set everything up in a few weeks and do some wiring. Have to figure out the automatic transfer generator setup and all as well.

Once it's all hooked up and power is stable I'll move like 10 - 12 servers over there and establish the site to site VPN between my parents, me, and my sisters houses
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 09-01-2015 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    Suck
    400 amp service? WTF?

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    400 amp service? WTF?
    They do what they want

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
    t-minus 3 days until Greg gets married and I get drunk.
    Haha you should of drank more there was left over beer! Thanks for coming out and helping bud.

Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    Greetings retards. Just wanted to check in and share with you that I'm in the great state of Iowa celebrating the marriage of our best member: 93FIM5.

Congratulations Greg!
    Lol thanks bud, that was a fun road trip in the i3!
    Quote Originally Posted by thatonedood View Post
    Hey! Congrats Greg. May the secks never stop
    Thanks LMFAO!

Quote Originally Posted by longwayhome23 View Post
    Oh, and congrats to the newlyweds.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Htay9500 View Post
    Grats Greg!
    Thank you sir, she could of done better but I married up!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Congrats Greg!

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Congrats Greg!
    Thanks Jon!

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    400 amp service? WTF?
    Just in case he needs to run a plasma cutter, tig welder, 3 phase compressor, drill press, battery charger and lift all at the same time, while keeping the lights on and the beer in the fridge cold?
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast