Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little Carbon Fiber project - LTW Style

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    Matthew I am shooting a PM.

Thanks man! I have found, that at this stage in my life I really like tedious tasks. Why, I don't know.

It really depends on what is available on your side of the world honestly. Just google local composite companies. It will at least be $200 if you cut corners, but could very well be closer to $400. The carbon fiber and resin, for the smallest quantity you can buy isn't bad. But the little stuff will add up: respirator, 2 part clear, wet sandpaper (80,220,400,1000,1500,2000), gloves, measuring cups, brushes, soft sanding blocks, dremel with various attachments, compound polish, wax or sealant, and either a drill attachment for the polish and wax, or a variable speed polisher. I think that should cover most of it off the top of my head.
    Ok will have a look at local suppliers esp for the resin. Might find the cloth cheaper os which is not a danger for shipping. I really appreciate your response though to get an idea of what supplies are needed.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3, 2008 E90 M3
    A tip I found is to use surfboard epoxy sold at surf shops. It's cheap, and perfectly clear, and available locally if you live near a beach. Many resins have a yellow tint so look it for that. Also, not structural which is why you can get away without using the real stuff.

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    These look awesome!

I would be interested if you decide to make a set for the convertible model.

Jon
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby ///M3 View Post
    These look awesome!

I would be interested if you decide to make a set for the convertible model.

Jon
    Hey Jon. All I would need is your trim pieces and I could wrap them. I have had some requests for parts, but I think it would be wise on my part to hold off until after my wedding in October. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll put you on a list to get back to you once I get back from my honeymoon at the end of October.

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Hi there,

Please check your PM.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jon

Hey Jon. All I would need is your trim pieces and I could wrap them. I have had some requests for parts, but I think it would be wise on my part to hold off until after my wedding in October. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I'll put you on a list to get back to you once I get back from my honeymoon at the end of October.
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    1995 325i
    First I want to thank you for your artistic talents and offering them here to us here. I sent you a PM. I understand you wont be able to do anything till around October. I have my parts and money set aside for you. Thanks again and look forward to adding your art to my car.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarela View Post
    First I want to thank you for your artistic talents and offering them here to us here. I sent you a PM. I understand you wont be able to do anything till around October. I have my parts and money set aside for you. Thanks again and look forward to adding your art to my car.
    Thanks man! Got back to your PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    So I came across a fabric that is basically a modern homage to the LTW stuff. Personally, I really like it. It is the modern 2x2 twill pattern with a thin red stitch. This stuff is available, and I can get it. I think after the wedding I am going to order up some and redo my console and trim pieces in it. Here are some pics of it:

This is not my work, but it is the exact fabric showing what it looks like finished. I tried to show shots with different lighting. As you can tell, the presence of the red really depends in the lighting just like the original LTW consoles.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Who sells it? I was trying to find something similar.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Let me know when you can make a centre console to sell and a price and I'm in 100%

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    BMW M3
    That modern 2x2 is very similar if not the same as LTW version.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Yes! That's awesome!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    That modern 2x2 is very similar if not the same as LTW version.
    Close, but not the same. As in the same topic on M3forum, I posted a closeup of the OEM carbon (nothing to do with LTW really, but ok if that's easy speak...) and you can see the original red weave is not on every strand of cf.

So this piece, while very nice on itself, would be too red. The red in the ltw stuff, makes it a brown-ish color.

1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    meh... good enough for me, I kinda like it more red, should be more red than brown! . Although I kinda like the normal carbon as well.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Close, but not the same. As in the same topic on M3forum, I posted a closeup of the OEM carbon (nothing to do with LTW really, but ok if that's easy speak...) and you can see the original red weave is not on every strand of cf.

So this piece, while very nice on itself, would be too red. The red in the ltw stuff, makes it a brown-ish color.
    Yes definitely not the exact same. You are not 100% correct on the way you describe it though. The red is it's own strand. And as a whole, everything that is present on the OEM piece is present on this modern fabric. The ONLY difference is the weave style. This determines the whole pattern and also where the red fiber is showing. Here are the percentages of how much red is visible in relation to the tow count:

OEM Red visibility - 43% (3 out of 7)
    Modern Red visibility - 50% (1 out of 2)

So the overall amount of red actually showing between the two is about the same. The only difference is the pattern at which it is showing. I wouldn't really conclude that the modern fabric would be too red. Both should be about the same level of red. The red will just follow its own specific weave pattern. And in the end it all depends on the lighting and angle as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Let me know when you can make a centre console to sell and a price and I'm in 100%
    Sounds good. I have a list of people going. I'll add you to it, and reach out to you after my honeymoon at the end of October.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well it's definitely as close as it will get for of the shelf stuff. So that console is readily available?

version with central lock switch?

IG:

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Thats an old shot, unfortunately all consoles appear to be NLA.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ha ok, that's why I couldn't find it. I did found the glovebox piece. It says genuine BMW part, which of course, it's not.

IG:

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Fantastic work! Please add me to the list. I can provide my stuff this winter and drop it off (if your location really is Philly) as I am only about an hour away. PM me please.

-Nick

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by FastAlpine View Post
    Fantastic work! Please add me to the list. I can provide my stuff this winter and drop it off (if your location really is Philly) as I am only about an hour away. PM me please.
    Thanks man! I am about 15 miles south of Philly. I will add you to the list and reach out when I get back. BTW, I think I may have photographed your car like 6ish years ago at a Sonic Meet. Is this you?

My Cars
    95 m3
    I have the updated CF weave fabric on a lot of parts in my car (door handles, glove trim, shifter surround), it really looks good. It isn't a true CF, I think the black fabric is something like polyester. But sitting under a layer of epoxy you'll never know.

Surprised to see ECS branded pics, they must be fabbing those up in house. The fabric is available for I think $80 /yard from PerformanceEnvisions. I have a link somewhere. Owner is very cool, provides lots of CF to car manufacturers. Recently hooked Nissan up with enough to wrap 4 wheels on a prototype car for the auto show.

If anyone wants some pictures I can show them what it looks like on some e36 parts.
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    I have the updated CF weave fabric on a lot of parts in my car (door handles, glove trim, shifter surround), it really looks good. It isn't a true CF, I think the black fabric is something like polyester. But sitting under a layer of epoxy you'll never know.

Surprised to see ECS branded pics, they must be fabbing those up in house. The fabric is available for I think $80 /yard from PerformanceEnvisions. I have a link somewhere. Owner is very cool, provides lots of CF to car manufacturers. Recently hooked Nissan up with enough to wrap 4 wheels on a prototype car for the auto show.

If anyone wants some pictures I can show them what it looks like on some e36 parts.
    Thanks for the info. I am pretty certain that the fabric is 100% carbon fiber, apart from the red stitch. The material weft and material warp are both advertised as carbon fiber.

- - - Updated - - -

The ECS photo is an olddd photo. It is from a thread on here form a few years back. The consoles are no longer available.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Thanks man! I am about 15 miles south of Philly. I will add you to the list and reach out when I get back. BTW, I think I may have photographed your car like 6ish years ago at a Sonic Meet. Is this you?

Haha yeah that is me. Nice picture. I think I still have them saved on my computer from that meet.. probably the ones you took and I found on the forums.

-Nick

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Bump. Are you still making these, bimma360?

My Cars
    98 M3
    I picked these up from eBay.de
    A guy in germany made them, likely from the same fabric. They look amazing, but definitely more red than my OEM glovebox piece. 20 years of fading exaggerates it a bit though I'm sure.
    Untitled by Chris West, on Flickr

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast