Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little Carbon Fiber project - LTW Style

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5

A little Carbon Fiber project - LTW Style

So recently I had myself a little staycation, and decided to finally tackle a project I have been meaning to do for some time.

Almost a decade ago, in college I took several composites courses as applied sciences electives. Had a blast, learned a lot, and have really been meaning to get back into it. With the e36 I have really had the itch to make my own LTW style carbon fiber trim pieces, and I finally got to do it. Just like the OEM CF pieces, I skinned the factory plastic panels in carbon fiber and finished them off with automotive 2 part clear.

As expected, the first go around didn't turn out 100% perfect but definitely not terrible either. There are some things I figured out technique wise when covering the shifter console the first time around. But I am pretty confident I can knock it out of the park the next time. I have enough carbon fiber left to do 2 more full sets, and about 6 glovebox/ashtray trim pieces, so I most likely won't stop with my 1st iteration. Of course, I think I caught the bug b/c I am already thinking about a front under-panel and an e46 CSL style brake console for the e36. Those two pieces would be a good way for me to get back into mold making. That was one thing I really used to enjoy.

Ok enough yapping... here are some pics:

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    There you go. How many hours to do a set?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    What CF material did you usee?

My Cars
    318iS 91 - x3 05 - m3 97
    you would need to make door handle too to get rid of the luxury package fake wood

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    There you go. How many hours to do a set?
    I didn't keep track, and I did it over the course of a little over a week. But guessing, I would have to say I spent about 20 hours on this roughly, could be more. I really took my time though. Now that I have a better idea of how to go about it, I would say probably about 15 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    What CF material did you usee?
    3K 2x2 twill

Quote Originally Posted by mk-ultra View Post
    you would need to make door handle too to get rid of the luxury package fake wood
    Luckily I don't have those in my car. I thought about door handles, and I don't think those would be anymore difficult to do than any of the other pieces. For me personally though, I think it may be a touch too much carbon fiber for my tastes.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quality looks top notch. Any plans for a DIY? or are you looking at it as a side business sort of operation?

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Wow that looks amazing!
    CBlock

My Cars
    96 318is
    Hmm. Brilliant. Now if only u could do door cards n fabric or leather---oh, did i go too far? Rofl. Great job!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Can you go into a little more details on how you skinned them? I did a seat back in carbon fiber and it turned out all right. I ran into the issue of covering the edges. Did you sand flat the epoxy before spraying the clear? What grit did you leave off at? Did you use one big piece for the center console? uploadfromtaptalk1440355186408.jpg

My Cars
    98 M3
    My god I want that seat back.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    Quality looks top notch. Any plans for a DIY? or are you looking at it as a side business sort of operation?
    Thanks man. Didn't really have any plans for a DIY. I never thought about doing it as a side business sort of thing, but I really enjoyed the process so I would be more then willing to do a few of these for anyone that wants them made. If you really wanted to tackle this yourself, I would be more then glad to give you some insight. There is also a ton of info on the internet about this sort of thing, which would give you an idea of what is involved. It is very doable. Ironically the upfront cost of a DIY (materials, dremel if you already don't have one, safety gear like a respirator, etc) would be a bit more than what I would charge for doing a full set for someone: which would be $350 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by travys View Post
    Hmm. Brilliant. Now if only u could do door cards n fabric or leather---oh, did i go too far? Rofl. Great job!
    Haha, I am not much of a sower. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
    Can you go into a little more details on how you skinned them? I did a seat back in carbon fiber and it turned out all right. I ran into the issue of covering the edges. Did you sand flat the epoxy before spraying the clear? What grit did you leave off at? Did you use one big piece for the center console? uploadfromtaptalk1440355186408.jpg
    If your issue with the edges was keeping the carbon staying wrapped around them so that you could apply the epoxy resin, a little trick is to spray the 2 mating surfaces with a small amount of adhesive.

You definitely want to sand the epoxy and keep applying multiple layers of it until it is totally uniform and flat. The first layer of resin I do is very light, and I do no sanding. If you are not sanding a layer make sure to wipe it clean with a damp paper towel though, as resin sometimes leaves a waxy layer on top as it cures. Then do a second heavy coat, and sand it with 220 grit. Be careful not to over sand and hit the carbon fiber. The low spots will still be shiny. The third and any subsequent layers sand with 440. The 440 will promote adhesion with the clear coat.

For the center console I did use one big piece.

I hope that helps!

edit: And by sanding I mean wet sanding. Although that may be an issue with the seat back covers. I don't know if that material can really get wet. Although just dry sanding might not leave you with a great finish once you clear coat. Not really sure. If I were to do seat backs, I would make a mold and make the entire piece out of carbon fiber. But they are big pieces, and you would need multiple layers of CF, so the cost would get big very quickly.
    Last edited by bimma360; 08-23-2015 at 05:15 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    I got the vaders dirt cheap because the leather was ripped and the backs were punched in. I hot glued the cardboard back together then bondoed it a little for a smooth surface. Sprayed it black so I didn't have a pink spot showing up underneath. Molds were a bit out of my knowledge realm. This process is very similar to vinyl wrapping and varnishing....at the same time.

So you wrap the edges while doing the main piece? I kind of tried doing them separate which didn't work too well. Some material cured too close to the edge and when I tried bending the dry material over it was just funny.

So you actually glue the carbon to the object with a spray adhesive before epoxy ing it? I was reading some guys put a light coat of epoxy on, let it get tacky, then overlay the carbon so it sticks.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
    I got the vaders dirt cheap because the leather was ripped and the backs were punched in. I hot glued the cardboard back together then bondoed it a little for a smooth surface. Sprayed it black so I didn't have a pink spot showing up underneath. Molds were a bit out of my knowledge realm. This process is very similar to vinyl wrapping and varnishing....at the same time.

So you wrap the edges while doing the main piece? I kind of tried doing them separate which didn't work too well. Some material cured too close to the edge and when I tried bending the dry material over it was just funny.

So you actually glue the carbon to the object with a spray adhesive before epoxy ing it? I was reading some guys put a light coat of epoxy on, let it get tacky, then overlay the carbon so it sticks.
    Good stuff man. The purpose of the spray adhesive (like 3M 90M) isn't so much to glue the carbon, but to get the surface just tacky enough so that you can peel it back without disturbing the weave if you didn't get the weave down just right. You want to spray both surfaces with the adhesive in areas that don't necessarily have gravity helping you hold the fabric down, like around the edges in your case. And def don't go nuts with the glue. You don't want to glue the carbon, you just want it to stay in place just right, so you can apply the epoxy. Doing a thin coat of epoxy like you said also works, but I can't remember what the issue with that was. It was either too tacky or not tacky enough. I am sure it will still work to an extent. There is a great company in the UK that makes a black resin as a base coat just for skinning. Unfortunately, shipping hazardous material makes it super expensive. When laying carbon for show purposes you want to keep it as one big piece as much as possible.

If you have enough material left, I am sure you could sand the edges carefully with like 80 grit until you reached the original peace and re cover the whole thing all over again.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    How much for just the center console and glove box trim?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    How much for just the center console and glove box trim?

I would have to say $300 shipped. The majority of the work is in that center console, and to put it in perspective I would need $250 to do that piece alone.

My Cars
    BMW
    Looks fantastic! Great work!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Really looks great!

Facebook for special NEWS and OFFERS- Motion Motorsport LLC
    Instagram for GIVEAWAYS and CONTESTS- @MotionMotorsport

"By enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Quality components for the street and track."

My Cars
    1997 Bmw 328ic
    really like that !!!! that's what I need !!!! I have a e36 and that my friend what set it Off!!!

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Thanks guys!

- - - Updated - - -

If someone is interested in the less then perfect 1st pieces I did (Console and Glove box trim) pictured in the OP, I would make you a killer deal in exchange for your factory pieces. I am ready for round two, and really don't want to use my original oem pieces. PM me if interested.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I'm interested. Throw me a pic of the imperfections
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    95 M3, RIP 95 ACS S3 M3
    Thank you for offering your skills to the community/ I am very interested in the next console (only) you make, I can/will mail mine to you and do without for a few weeks. Let me know how to proceed - Matthew
    X-brace, ACS fr strut brace, RSMs/Z3, RTABs, TMS sways, eibach springs, MM underpanel, UUC lt fly, 3.5 Samco elbow & MAF, JConforti chip, AA pipe, Al coolant bits, SS brake & clutch lines, LTW seats & door cards, GT intl CF trim, no center console, UUC EVO3, M5 lit knob

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3, 2008 E90 M3
    Damn you did a nice ass job. I did this back in the day as well, and mine did not turn out nearly as well. Its much more difficult than it looks to get results like that.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i
    What are the bare bones cost of the cf and resin to do a piece like the centre console? Thinking of doing mine (E39 ...console is basically flat).

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Getconnectedav View Post
    Thank you for offering your skills to the community/ I am very interested in the next console (only) you make, I can/will mail mine to you and do without for a few weeks. Let me know how to proceed - Matthew
    Matthew I am shooting a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deboM3 View Post
    Damn you did a nice ass job. I did this back in the day as well, and mine did not turn out nearly as well. Its much more difficult than it looks to get results like that.
    Thanks man! I have found, that at this stage in my life I really like tedious tasks. Why, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jmy60 View Post
    What are the bare bones cost of the cf and resin to do a piece like the centre console? Thinking of doing mine (E39 ...console is basically flat).
    It really depends on what is available on your side of the world honestly. Just google local composite companies. It will at least be $200 if you cut corners, but could very well be closer to $400. The carbon fiber and resin, for the smallest quantity you can buy isn't bad. But the little stuff will add up: respirator, 2 part clear, wet sandpaper (80,220,400,1000,1500,2000), gloves, measuring cups, brushes, soft sanding blocks, dremel with various attachments, compound polish, wax or sealant, and either a drill attachment for the polish and wax, or a variable speed polisher. I think that should cover most of it off the top of my head.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    I bought my epoxy and fiber through us composites. I was very happy with them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast