Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A little Carbon Fiber project - LTW Style

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Add me to the list.. i'll take it all as well!

what the lead time looking like?

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksarazen View Post
    Hey Chris, sorry for the unrelated question, but where did you get your steering wheel alcantara wrapped? Did you do it yourself? Looks amazing.
    I wish I had that kind of skill. I purchased it from eBay user Tainik. I like it so much I might buy another one haha. Thinking about swapping to a eurospec e36 wheel, although I don't know if I will be bothered by the extra 10mm diameter.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by gfishbein View Post
    Add me to the list.. i'll take it all as well!

what the lead time looking like?
    Will do. I am starting to go through the list now. Lead time really depends on how many that have expressed interest are ready to pull the trigger. So not entirely sure. It could be from a few weeks to about a month and a half or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peacoben View Post
    Wow...the work in this thread is epic!! I'm about to move out of my M3 vert into a coupe. Once I do that, I will most definitely need to add a set of trim from this thread to the car!!
    Thanks man.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Sweet. Probably the closest you can get to the original pieces. Does BMW still sell the glovebox piece's plaque?

I have all the oem pieces bar the front ashtray as I din't need it, but wouldn't mind a set like this in my 328i.

what about a matching handbrake or even doorhandles.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Sweet. Probably the closest you can get to the original pieces. Does BMW still sell the glovebox piece's plaque?

I have all the oem pieces bar the front ashtray as I din't need it, but wouldn't mind a set like this in my 328i.

what about a matching handbrake or even doorhandles.
    They used to, but I don't think I've seen it on ECS's website anymore. So not 100% sure.

I am about to start on a slew of pieces for 1 person, some of which include a handbrake and door handles. I'll make sure to take very good pictures of those and post them up.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Oh I thought the ones pictured were not the ECS ones, but made to mimic these.

just for the record, the oem pieces are also the normal plastic ones, with a fine layer on top of it.

IG:

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    No you are correct. All of the glove box trim pieces pictured in this thread are made to mimic the OEM ones. I was just saying that I haven't seen the genuine BMW piece for sale on the ECS site like I did in the past. But now as I type this out.... I realize you said "plaque." By that do you mean the one that says motorsport international? Or where you in fact asking about the actual CF OEM glove box trim piece haha. Sorry.

And yeah I am totally with you on the OEM pieces being carbon fiber wrapped onto of the original plastics.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Yes that's what I mean with the plaque. BMW sold it seperately in the past.

so just so I understand correctly, you make/wrap these pieces?

IG:

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    I take the factory plastic pieces and wrap them in carbon fiber.

At one time I saw a seller on eBay selling replicas of the plaques, and they looked pretty good. If the plaque is NLA from BMW, that may be an option.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Nice! I'd be interested if we didn't get screwed in import duties.

IG:

My Cars
    1995 m3
    Not sure if you are still making these, but I really want a shifter trim!

please email me:

evanferl@gmail.com

My Cars
    E36 m3
    I'm also interested pm me the details
    thanks

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Hey guys. Thanks for reaching out. Wrapping up a big project, and will be working on getting a few pieces made that I will offer up for sale. Just keep an eye on this thread.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    I just finished up a console/glove box trim piece for someone that sent me a spare BMW Motorsport badge to incorporate. Figured I snap some pics to show you guys.

I also had two other sets in different stages of completion, which I thought would be a good way to show what that looks like compared to the finished pieces. Usually sets I am working on end up getting purchased before I finish them, but these two aren't spoken for. So if anyone would like to pre-order here is your chance. The one on the right is for a coupe obviously, and the one in the back is for a sedan (and a vert too right?). $350 shipped a set (+$100 core charge if you won't be sending yours back). About 5 weeks till completion (I will be away for about 2 weeks so thats why). Edit: Coupe set is claimed.

Making a new set for myself. Decided on plain weave carbon. I am using really high end fabric for the 2x2 twill and plain weave fabrics that are specially coated to reduce gaps between the fibers. As you can see, it ends up giving a really nice finish. The red stitch fabric is not for me, and I feel like the plain weave as an alternative is a bit more period correct than the 2x2. Got myself a badge as well. Sucks I coated the glove box piece with all of the layers of resin needed before I got my hands on a badge. Now I have to sand it all down only to build the resin back up to create the recess for the badge.

Lastly, an e46 M3 set in the early stage, about 6-7 weeks out. I am sure someone will PM me about price, so I am thinking it will be about $595 shipped (I really will need core pieces in exchange though, as it looks like replacements will be about $300 used on ebay).
    Last edited by bimma360; 09-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Are you still offering this service?
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    Are you still offering this service?
    I am! If you are interested feel free to PM me.

Just sent these out, owner ended up replacing the old broken pieces in his LTW with these:

And my personal set from a few months back:

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    ^ They look amazing in person, Dave does an awesome job and the badge inlay is a detail Im so happy he could replicate. Thanks again, so happy to have the full set installed.

My Cars
    98 M3
    The fact that Sam has them in his car is a testament to Dave's work. I haven't seen them in person, but some of the people I know that have the parts have some of the best cars around.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Soon
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
    ^ They look amazing in person, Dave does an awesome job and the badge inlay is a detail Im so happy he could replicate. Thanks again, so happy to have the full set installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    The fact that Sam has them in his car is a testament to Dave's work. I haven't seen them in person, but some of the people I know that have the parts have some of the best cars around.
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the kind words, means a lot.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I am! If you are interested feel free to PM me.

Just sent these out, owner ended up replacing the old broken pieces in his LTW with these:

And my personal set from a few months back:

So does your personal set you posted a pic of not have the red weave in it? I like that better, I need to get on this.
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    There are 3 fabrics to choose from:

Plain weave - no red, checkered pattern, what I used on my own set.

2x2 twill - no red, pattern the same as the red fabric just no red. This is the more common carbon pattern.

2x2 twill w/ red - LTW homage fabric. Not exactly the same as the original Bmw used however.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    So I've been working on my engine cover a little bit here and there as time permits. Its still in the early stages and has quite a bit to go. It is crazy that nobody makes an OEM M3 looking one for the e36 in carbon. All of the ones online are terribly ugly in my opinion (even the Dinan one). I think thats most likely why I have never been excited about e36 carbon engine covers. But I got super excited when I saw how the M3 cover looked right after I put carbon on it.

I wasn't going to post this until it was done, but now I am not entirely sure if I'll end up finishing it. The more I stare at this thing the more I want to make the entire piece out of carbon. And really the best way to do it is using pre-preg (aka dry carbon). I've been thinking about setting myself up to start doing pre-preg carbon for a long while now, and may be at that point now. It is going to be a very large investment in equipment on my part, so I wanted to throw this picture on here and see what people thought of an OEM design carbon cover. Figured it may be a good first part to make.

My Cars
    98 m3
    im going to send you a PM right now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234